CBC Hot Stove: Avalanche the favorites for Taylor Hall, trade may even happen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Unless you have to pay them all like top 4 D. Those ELC still give you some time, but Colorado might be forced to let a few talented players go, as they can't fit them all under the salary cap. Same as Chicago shipped out the like of Teräväinen and Panarin.

Obviously, it's not easy to do, but I think the Avs are well positioned to make it happen, even if it's only for a few years. Cap space really isn't a massive issue right now in Denver, and they can easily plan for the big contracts that are coming, with guys like EJ ($6m cap hit) and Cole ($4.25m) coming off the books when guys needs new deals.. And, no question we'll lose some talented secondary players eventually. The key is to have talent in the prospect pool ready to fill in those gaps in the roster, reloading for another couple of years of Cup contention.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Timmins' status is very much unknown. If the league doesn't grant him an exception because of the time missed - which they did not do in the past -, he would need to be protected.
I believe this is wrong. The actual status that’s makes you expansion eligible so many years out (forget the name) is based on professional games played, not contract status.

At least according to the wording of the rule. So unless they’re counting injured games there, I do not believe he needs to be protected. Been a while since I looked it up, mind you.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I for one would trade Sam Girard for a healthy elite Taylor Hall. I love Girard but I do agree that he gets pushed around on defense far too often.

The problem is, there's no indication at present that we'd be getting a healthy elite Taylor Hall. This is a bad time to be trading Taylor Hall, as he's not producing much but is still going to want to be paid as though he is, and that is the Devils problem and not the Avs.

perfect, he'd fit right in with all our current defensemen

trade for Hall already you cowards. do it.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
trade for Hall already you cowards. do it.

source.gif

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I believe this is wrong. The actual status that’s makes you expansion eligible so many years out (forget the name) is based on professional games played, not contract status.

At least according to the wording of the rule. So unless they’re counting injured games there, I do not believe he needs to be protected. Been a while since I looked it up, mind you.

Here's the rule, from the CBA.

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a player was on a Club's Playing Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more regular season NHL games, provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Playing Roster shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.

The part about "games missed due to a hockey-related injury" is the part that leads to questions about Timmins' eligibility. The question is whether that part applies to Timmins, given that his injury was incurred while playing in Juniors, and he was never technically on a professional team's "Playing Roster" (23 man roster). But, his ELC didn't slide, meaning something counted. So, do the games he missed last year count against him or not, when it comes to expansion draft eligibility?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I don’t think many Devils fans will like this but would something like this make any sense?

Byram + 2020 1st round pick + 2021 2nd round pick
For
Hall + 2020 1sr round pick (top 5 protected)

The Devils would get the dman they’re looking for and he can help the team out as soon as next year. We would also get a late first as well, which will be in the 25 to 31 range and a late 2nd rounder next year, covering the pick we gave Vegas in the Gusev deal.

The Avs would get Taylor Hall to complement their already insane offense and add a legit stud to their 2nd line. They would also get a shot at landing a really good prospect in a stacked draft.

The Devils get a player that can help them sooner and fits a glaring need and the Avs get a star player without touching their current roster and a very high pick in this years draft.

To me, it’s looks like a win-win for both teams.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I don’t think many Devils fans will like this but would something like this make any sense?

For

The Devils would get the dman they’re looking for and he can help the team out as soon as next year. We would also get a late first as well, which will be in the 25 to 31 range and a late 2nd rounder next year, covering the pick we gave Vegas in the Gusev deal.

The Avs would get Taylor Hall to complement their already insane offense and add a legit stud to their 2nd line. They would also get a shot at landing a really good prospect in a stacked draft.

The Devils get a player that can help them sooner and fits a glaring need and the Avs get a star player without touching their current roster and a very high pick in this years draft.

Apart from the Avs not trading Byram, I don't think it's fair for NJ to protect their 1st this year if they're getting Byram in return.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

For

Interesting. Is the pick unprotected in 2021? Can we get Zajac back too?

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Here's the rule, from the CBA.

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a player was on a Club's Playing Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more regular season NHL games, provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Playing Roster shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.

The part about "games missed due to a hockey-related injury" is the part that leads to questions about Timmins' eligibility. The question is whether that part applies to Timmins, given that his injury was incurred while playing in Juniors, and he was never technically on a professional team's "Playing Roster" (23 man roster). But, his ELC didn't slide, meaning something counted. So, do the games he missed last year count against him or not, when it comes to expansion draft eligibility?
That sounds... wrong. I believe accrued seasons as a concept is simply a different concept than what’s applied to determine 1st/2nd year professionals

If that definition was right, then Makar wouldn’t be eligible

Recall how his expansion eligibility was dependent on his age back in the playoffs? Where, since he was over 20, one game counted to a professional season instead of the normal ten?

Not in a position to look this all up again but I don’t think that’s it. I think accrued seasons are more used for contract or union requirements. Stuff like waiver eligibility

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

For

Yeah, 5 months of 28 year old Hall is not worth downgrading our recent 4th OA pick in a position of need for a mystery box. AND giving up our own first in the process.

??? - Makar
Girard - Timmins/EJ

Girard is ideally a #3 on a second pairing, and whether its a trade or the expansion draft, Zadorov more than likely isn't long in Colorado past this season. Even if Z is here, he's not consistently a top pairing guy.

Not interested in trading Byram at all. Believe it or not the Avs need Byram almost as much as New Jersey does.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I’d say top #5 protected this year and if we happen to pick in the top #5, Colorado would get our unprotected 1st round pick next year.

I would have turned down the original offer so obviously this doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the creative proposal but I can't see the Avs also giving the NJD the benefit of a top 5 protected 1st in a down year with a stacked draft pool. Whatever possible incentive for making the deal just went out the window.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If I was an Avs fan I wouldn’t trade Byram . I’m a devils fan and hope there is some slim chance in hell of it happening but I don’t see it at all .
I was hoping for Zadorov but have been told he’s off the table as well .
That’s where I don’t get why ? Won’t be be available for expansion draft and the chances of losing him are probable anyways ? Or is there something else in the works where Avs will trade one exposed D prior to draft in order to keep Zadorov ?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If I was an Avs fan I wouldn’t trade Byram . I’m a devils fan and hope there is some slim chance in hell of it happening but I don’t see it at all .
That’s where I don’t get why ? Won’t be be available for expansion draft and the chances of losing him are probable anyways ? Or is there something else in the works where Avs will trade one exposed D prior to draft in order to keep Zadorov ?

We want to win the Stanley Cup.

I don’t care about which player we lose in the expansion draft.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Pretty simple, Avs need Z now. If they want to go on a deep run this season taking out one of their better defenseman out of the roster is not the way to do it. Sure Zadorov might be gone in a year and a half when the expansion comes but by then Byram should be ready to step up and fill that role in the top 6 defense.

Joe could easily hold onto Z this season and next and trade him summer of 2021 prior to the expansion draft. Add assets from trading Z while having kept Z another year and a half of his prime.

Timmins is the most expendable of our top defensive assets, and I don't see Sakic letting him go for 5 months of Hall.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

For

Why not just take out the top 5 1sts aka:

Avs 2020 1st + 2021 2nd

for

Taylor Hall

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Pretty simple, Avs need Z now. If they want to go on a deep run this season taking out one of their better defenseman out of the roster is not the way to do it. Sure Zadorov might be gone in a year and a half when the expansion comes but by then Byram should be ready to step up and fill that role in the top 6 defense.

Joe could easily hold onto Z this season and next and trade him summer of 2021 prior to the expansion draft. Add assets from trading Z while having kept Z another year and a half of his prime.

Timmins is the most expendable of our top defensive assets, and I don't see Sakic letting him go for 5 months of Hall.

So a swap of Zadorov for Hall makes the Avs worse ?
Honest question not tongue in cheek .
I thought the addition of an elite forward would outweigh a depth Dman but obviously Z is needed for the playoffs moreso than Hall ?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I thought the addition of an elite forward would outweigh a depth Dman but obviously Z is needed for the playoffs moreso than Hall ?
It’s hard to say, and therein lies the problem.

If a team is acquiring and paying for a rental, you have to be absolutely sure you’re getting better. Otherwise, what’s the point?

I’ve said it before, but adding a high quality 3C might make the Avs a better team than adding Hall.

Until the games are played, chemistry, matchups, opponents, are known, a team striving to win wants to add, not exchange.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah, 5 months of 28 year old Hall is not worth downgrading our recent 4th OA pick in a position of need for a mystery box. AND giving up our own first in the process.

??? - Makar
Girard - Timmins/EJ

Girard is ideally a #3 on a second pairing, and whether its a trade or the expansion draft, Zadorov more than likely isn't long in Colorado past this season. Even if Z is here, he's not consistently a top pairing guy.

Not interested in trading Byram at all. Believe it or not the Avs need Byram almost as much as New Jersey does.
Are you saying that Hall is the mystery box here?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

IMO it unbalances their roster. Sure we add another weapon to our forward group, which lets not get into how badly the Avs need another weapon, but it takes a top 4 defenseman out.

Girard - Makar
Cole - Johnson
Graves - Barberio

Any of Cole, Graves, or Barberio in our top four when we're trying to make a deep run would be a nightmare. We don't want to become the Maple Leafs here.

I'm saying the NJ 2020 pick is the mystery box.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

no, that our first round pick is a mystery box (even though Byram technically is too since he hasn't played in the NHL yet, but I get it)

I don't blame Avs fans at all, I would never give up Byram in a deal for Hall. Like that guy said, a core of those forwards plus Makar and Byram on the backend is ridiculous. Even if they believe they have a great shot at the cup this year, with how young their group is they have to believe they have a good shot in the coming years too - which Byram could be a part of as well, on an ELC no less.

I feel like a deal around Timmins just makes the most sense from both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad