CBC Hot Stove: Avalanche the favorites for Taylor Hall, trade may even happen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The worry is if you get Hall, you may actually end up creating a hole on the 3rd line, where a player will have to play who might be better suited for top-six duty.

As much as head coaches hate having too many top 6 forwards available, I think this is a “worry” that most would accept.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Chris Johnston said this on the Saturday headlines aka Hot Stove 10 minutes ago. Avalanche are the team leading the hunt and it could happen very quickly. Devils would like a 4 asset package.

not reading 1100 posts.
do we have an idea of what those 4 assets are if Avs cede to demand?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
not reading 1100 posts.
do we have an idea of what those 4 assets are if Avs cede to demand?

The debate is largely surrounding the prospects. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I think the common take is that it would be 2 prospects + 1st + conditional pick if he re-signs.

The range of the prospects is where the discrepancy comes in for a lot of the posters. Obviously Devils fans want Timmins, Avs fans think that shouldn't be on the table.

Reactions: bernmeister

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I would not be bragging about the Oilers 1st round drafting either. In the last 12 years, I have them with the best drafting power and ranked 18th in actual production. 4 1st OA picks in the last 12 years and only one team with 2 (Devils).
yeah they had one huge bust with yak traded hall hopkins isnt great and then mcdavid .

the other firsts on the team are drai and klefbom

i guess gagner too because he cant escape

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Imagine not trading Sam ****ing Girard for an extended Hall.

There is no such thing as an extended Hall anyways.
And no even then you don't trade a 21 year old top4 D who is currently playing top pairing minutes for the best team in the West and locked up at a decent rate for the next 7 years for a guy that will demand top dollar (probably atleast 2x as much as Girard) and very likely age pretty badly rather quickly.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
There is no such thing as an extended Hall anyways.
And no even then you don't trade a 21 year old top4 D who is currently playing top pairing minutes for the best team in the West and locked up at a decent rate for the next 7 years for a guy that will demand top dollar (probably atleast 2x as much as Girard) and very likely age pretty badly rather quickly.
I really don’t get the Sam Girard love fest, he’s a decent player but he doesn’t produce, has below average underlying number and isn’t an overly great defender.

I understand that this forum is obsessed with “YOuNg” but the idea of not willing to deal a player like that for an in theory extended elite winger is just laughable.

If the Canucks were the same position I would easily trade a Girard level player for Hall.

Reactions: artemponomarev

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I really don’t get the Sam Girard love fest, he’s a decent player but he doesn’t produce, has below average underlying number and isn’t an overly great defender.

I understand that this forum is obsessed with “YOuNg” but the idea of not willing to deal a player like that for an in theory extended elite winger is just laughable.

If the Canucks were the same position I would easily trade a Girard level player for Hall.

He is amazing at moving the puck, really good defensively considering his size disadvantages and a legit top4 D already at the age of 21.
Will he ever be a #1 D? No. Very likely he will be a #2/3 kind of guy at his best. And that is great. I wouldn't trade that for Hall who IMO you are overrating by quite a bit. He does not look as fast post knee-injury, and along with our own Landeskog is one of the prime guys that you shouldn't want to give big money to given his injury history and playing style. Also his Hart season was more of an outlier than an appropriate depiction of what Hall is as a player.

Having both Hall and Landeskog locked up for almost 20M two years from now is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. I am not going to give up a young guy locked up for more than 7 years who will be a mainstay on our blueline during our best window at a cup for that.
Do you know how hard it is to get your hands on quality young Ds in this league? There is a reason why we had to "settle" for Girard who at that point had played 5 NHL games as an undersized 2nd round pick for Duchene with 2 years left on his deal. Because he was the best young D we could get. Young quality Ds in this league are unbelievably valuable. Avs shoring up their top4 for the next decade is way more important than adding Hall.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Think 21-year-old Jared Spurgeon and you'll have a Girard. His offensive numbers don't tell the story of how good he is and how good he is for the Avs transition game. Just watch last night's 2nd goal, Girard's one of those 4th assist guys. Being on a 7-year contract (that doesn't kick in till next year) and for only 5 mill is also huge for the team's cap structure.

Anywho, as Friedman said, Sakic is not trading Girard.

Reactions: Avaholic29

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don’t think Sakic will mess with his made top 4 for the next decade.

upload_2019-12-12_23-12-26.jpeg

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I agree that we want to keep the guys we have, but that's because I think that Zadorov and/or Timmins could plausibly be shutdown top 4D in the very near future (Zadorov arguably already is). Byram has top pairing potential, and we already have Girard and Makar. The top 4 is going to get really crowded, but there are much worse problems than having six "top 4 D" in the lineup every night. We could maybe use a rental D who can play top 4 for a playoff run, but I don't see anyone likely to be on the market who is definitely a significant upgrade over what we already have.
Unless you have to pay them all like top 4 D. Those ELC still give you some time, but Colorado might be forced to let a few talented players go, as they can't fit them all under the salary cap. Same as Chicago shipped out the like of Teräväinen and Panarin.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Your Canucks did not suffer through terrible defenses ultimately culminating in that abominable 48 point season that we did. The turnaround was when the Avs acquired a puck moving D-man when they traded Duchene for Girard. His value isn't to be underestimated. I can't think of any Avs fan that would do that deal.

Reactions: AvsGuy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The debate is largely surrounding the prospects. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I think the common take is that it would be 2 prospects + 1st + conditional pick if he re-signs.

The range of the prospects is where the discrepancy comes in for a lot of the posters. Obviously Devils fans want Timmins, Avs fans think that shouldn't be on the table.

thanks for the courtesy

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Just out of interest, how many of those four would have to be protected in the Seattle draft? I am pretty sure Byram would be exempt, but I am not sure about the others.

So byram and timmins would be exempt, makar and girard would need to be protected with EJ's nmc

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I for one would trade Sam Girard for a healthy elite Taylor Hall. I love Girard but I do agree that he gets pushed around on defense far too often.

The problem is, there's no indication at present that we'd be getting a healthy elite Taylor Hall. This is a bad time to be trading Taylor Hall, as he's not producing much but is still going to want to be paid as though he is, and that is the Devils problem and not the Avs.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino