Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Gudas for jeannot and perbix would be ideal.
And when he takes penalty at the end of a game we are down or need to hang on for the Cooper Shell Special to work, you'll hate him. 128 penalty minutes for Anaheim is first, ahead of Eyssimont and his 102 PIMs. I don't think Sky was necessarily dying on the hill of Gudas, more like someone comparable, but Gudas is not the solution. He would fit stylistically and do a pretty solid job in our top 4 but if we are looking for a PMD/DFD to slot into the top four, we can do better than a guy that gets 80-100 PIMs.

Though, him, Cernak and Lilleberg each on a pairing would be a hell of a threat lol.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Hey guys - Sabres fan coming in peace.

Trying to piece together your offseason plans. I don't see how you guys field a strong team without moving one decent contract (Cirelli would make the most sense from my perspective over Cernak). Obviously sounds like Cooper and Stamkos would like to have another contract for the future so Stamkos can stay a bolt for life.

Would something like Cirelli+Jeannot for Sabres 1st + Krebs (Bottom six prospect) + Rosen (NHL Ready prospect with top 6 winger potential) make sense? Clears enough cap to bring back Stamkos at $6M(ish) and once you move Sheary for future considerations you can then have 5-8M to sign 2-3 younger UFAs to retool (Im thinking someone like Roslovic at F or Chatfield at D)

Im really interested in what the front office does to field a competitive team next year, so will be paying attention to you guys!

Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hey guys - Sabres fan coming in peace.

Trying to piece together your offseason plans. I don't see how you guys field a strong team without moving one decent contract (Cirelli would make the most sense from my perspective over Cernak). Obviously sounds like Cooper and Stamkos would like to have another contract for the future so Stamkos can stay a bolt for life.

Would something like Cirelli+Jeannot for Sabres 1st + Krebs (Bottom six prospect) + Rosen (NHL Ready prospect with top 6 winger potential) make sense? Clears enough cap to bring back Stamkos at $6M(ish) and once you move Sheary for future considerations you can then have 5-8M to sign 2-3 younger UFAs to retool (Im thinking someone like Roslovic at F or Chatfield at D)

Im really interested in what the front office does to field a competitive team next year, so will be paying attention to you guys!
I would hope Tampa.declines. Rosen had a good, but not great season in the AHL, and I'd rather see them.keep Cirelli and give one of thelr own comparable AHL guys, like Goncalves, a chance in the lineup. If it was some kind of deal where Tampa was getting Byram as the main piece, and Brisebois was committed to moving Cirelli, then maybe. Without a top 4 dman as.the main piece coming back, Cirelli.should be off limits(and yes, in theory the 11oa could be used to get one, but then it's another deal Tampa has to have lined up).

I agree.on Chatfield.though, as he should be the exact guy they go after if he makes it to ufa. They can likely acquire him though by just moving out smaller.contracts instead of a big one.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think there would be takers for Conor Sheary. It was only one down season, and he hasn't turned 32 yet.

Pittsburgh and Washington may be interested in a reclamation project.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I would hope Tampa.declines. Rosen had a good, but not great season in the AHL, and I'd rather see them.keep Cirelli and give one of thelr own comparable AHL guys, like Goncalves, a chance in the lineup. If it was some kind of deal where Tampa was getting Byram as the main piece, and Brisebois was committed to moving Cirelli, then maybe. Without a top 4 dman as.the main piece coming back, Cirelli.should be off limits(and yes, in theory the 11oa could be used to get one, but then it's another deal Tampa has to have lined up).

I agree.on Chatfield.though, as he should be the exact guy they go after if he makes it to ufa. They can likely acquire him though by just moving out smaller.contracts instead of a big one.
Byram wont be available for trade for at least another year. Too new and was a sought after player by our org. Jokiharu may be available as an RFA. I think he is a bottom pair guy but is young (24) and could develop into a middle pairing defenseman.

Rosen I think is a clear Killorn level talent. Good two way game, but more vision and less physicality. Maybe Palat at the high end? Either way, he is the piece I would be most upset parting with even over 11 OVR.

Chatfield is a huge under the radar UFA. I think he has long term top 4 D written all over him if the right team brings him in. I would think Tampa will have their eyes set on a player like him for sure.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Byram wont be available for trade for at least another year. Too new and was a sought after player by our org. Jokiharu may be available as an RFA. I think he is a bottom pair guy but is young (24) and could develop into a middle pairing defenseman.

Rosen I think is a clear Killorn level talent. Good two way game, but more vision and less physicality. Maybe Palat at the high end? Either way, he is the piece I would be most upset parting with even over 11 OVR.

Chatfield is a huge under the radar UFA. I think he has long term top 4 D written all over him if the right team brings him in. I would think Tampa will have their eyes set on a player like him for sure.
Maybe, but I doubt either Jokiharju or Rosen move the needle, especially from a division rival, for either Cirelli or Cernak(have seen both names mentioned in conjunction with those Buffalo players). Rosen could pan out, but from a stats perspective, he doesn't seem any more impressive than some Tampa have in the A(granted I don't watch him, so I don't know his intangibles or.play style). Some have indicated that Byram would be available in a Cirelli deal, and from Tampa's.side, he'd be the only realistic player the team should be targeting from Buffalo. If not, no problem, as I'm sure ifbhes actually up for trade, JBB will find a deal that works for Tampa in acquiring a top 4 dman.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't think targeting Byram is a smart move. We will have concussion bros as our RD in Cernak and Byram. Sounds like a part-time gig to play RD for this organization while both are here. If he didn't have the injury history, sure. That's one of our biggest worries for Cernak right now, why would we trade Cirelli for another RD with concussion history?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I totally agree that there is no need to move Cirelli unless there is a Top 4 D replacement coming in or being signed. Like there is no point to jettison him for anything less. The league constantly shows its about what have you done for me lately, and now Cirelli is a 20 goal scoring defensive 2C on most teams around the league, that's signed long term with a contract that will look better in coming years if his play continues.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I totally agree that there is no need to move Cirelli unless there is a Top 4 D replacement coming in or being signed. Like there is no point to jettison him for anything less. The league constantly shows its about what have you done for me lately, and now Cirelli is a 20 goal scoring defensive 2C on most teams around the league, that's signed long term with a contract that will look better in coming years if his play continues.

I agree on what the return needs to be if we deal him.

I disagree on him being a 2C for most teams. His offensive output puts him almost in 3C territory. He'd need to hit about 60 pts per season to justify that contract. That's a relatively significant jump from his ceiling right now.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I agree on what the return needs to be if we deal him.

I disagree on him being a 2C for most teams. His offensive output puts him almost in 3C territory. He'd need to hit about 60 pts per season to justify that contract. That's a relatively significant jump from his ceiling right now.
Yes and no, he started 57% in the defensive zone. Production is kind of lost when the majority of your zone starts are in the defensive zone. He has a positive Corsi also. Last season he had just under 0.5ppg with 60% defensive zone starts. He's only ever really had one opportunity to play more offensive zone starts and that was in 2020-2021 when his linemates were Killorn and Stammer. I think the thing is any buyer knows you are giving up some points for defense when it comes to Cirelli. Is he overpaid? Sure, but its not by a huge amount in my opinion. Maybe $750k-$1M a year.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Kuch is the Marshawn Lynch of the NHL. He hates dealing with the media, can't get out of there fast enough. I don't blame him, the questions are always generic and useless. First question "any emotions about the season", literally wtf does that even mean? How is that possibly a question someone came up with? People have to go to school to break into this profession? I could train a nearly dead goat to ask better questions than that.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Yes and no, he started 57% in the defensive zone. Production is kind of lost when the majority of your zone starts are in the defensive zone. He has a positive Corsi also. Last season he had just under 0.5ppg with 60% defensive zone starts. He's only ever really had one opportunity to play more offensive zone starts and that was in 2020-2021 when his linemates were Killorn and Stammer. I think the thing is any buyer knows you are giving up some points for defense when it comes to Cirelli. Is he overpaid? Sure, but its not by a huge amount in my opinion. Maybe $750k-$1M a year.

Ok then we agree he's overpaid. Plus half the league's 2Cs are having 50+% D-zone starts, and Cirelli is underperforming at least them. How much he's overpaid and is underperforming is debatable. So anyone thinking we're going to get a haul for him has their head in the clouds.

And why we would unload one of our better defensive players when our team defense is shit makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don't think targeting Byram is a smart move. We will have concussion bros as our RD in Cernak and Byram. Sounds like a part-time gig to play RD for this organization while both are here. If he didn't have the injury history, sure. That's one of our biggest worries for Cernak right now, why would we trade Cirelli for another RD with concussion history?
He wouldn't necessarily be my top choice, but if it was a trade with the Sabres, then yes. Byram also saves cap space and has some term left. The injury concerns are there, but it wouldn't be a terrible trade if it happened.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Laundry list

1. We need to move on from Sheary and Jeannot. Both men have been absolute professionals who did everything asked of them but it just isn't working out. No bad blood at all. But we need the money badly. REALLY badly. I am okay with Perbix as a #6. He's bad but he's no Sustr. Keep him on a short leash

2. New coaching staff to go with Cooper. Absolutely no Crunch guys. Berube would be a wet dream. If Lindy Ruff and Jacques Martin can be assistants...

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Laundry list

1. We need to move on from Sheary and Jeannot. Both men have been absolute professionals who did everything asked of them but it just isn't working out. No bad blood at all. But we need the money badly. REALLY badly. I am okay with Perbix as a #6. He's bad but he's no Sustr. Keep him on a short leash

2. New coaching staff to go with Cooper. Absolutely no Crunch guys. Berube would be a wet dream. If Lindy Ruff and Jacques Martin can be assistants...
JBB said Sheary had a hand injury says he thinks he will rebound next season so sadly he intends to bring him back

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
JBB said Sheary had a hand injury says he thinks he will rebound next season so sadly he intends to bring him back
One bad decision after the next if that's the case. There is almost no way to actually improve this team if Sheary and Jeannot remain on the roster.

Reactions: Zwui21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad