Speculation: availability of Dylan Larkin

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
The Mantha trade should indicate to folks that Yzerman isn't going to trade Wings players based on the value of their actual point totals.

Mantha was a .5ppg winger with the Wings this year. His trade value was obviously higher than that. Folks here who suggested like a late 1st and a B LHD prospect were undervaluing Mantha's trade value.

Larkin is a .5ppg center with the Wings this year. His trade value is obviously higher than that. If you think you're going to buy low on a player whose counting stats don't reflect his true value, you're going to have a bad time.

Edit: It also winds me up that Rangers fans are always trying to add Larkin for chump change and undervalue him. That's exactly how Ottawa lost the Zibanejad trade.

Zbad went from a ~ .5ppg center to, according to the Rangers, a top 5-10 center in the league. What changed? Playing on a line with Artemi Panarin, mostly*. (I know Zbad had a near ppg season prior to Panarin's arrival. Larkin also has a near ppg season under his belt).

Why would the Red Wings make the exact type of "sell-low" mistake that Ottawa made with Zibanejad?

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The Mantha trade should indicate to folks that Yzerman isn't going to trade Wings players based on the value of their actual point totals.

Mantha was a .5ppg winger with the Wings this year. His trade value was obviously higher than that. Folks here who suggested like a late 1st and a B LHD prospect were undervaluing Mantha's trade value.

Larkin is a .5ppg center with the Wings this year. His trade value is obviously higher than that. If you think you're going to buy low on a player whose counting stats don't reflect his true value, you're going to have a bad time.

Edit: It also winds me up that Rangers fans are always trying to add Larkin for chump change and undervalue him. That's exactly how Ottawa lost the Zibanejad trade.

Zbad went from a ~ .5ppg center to, according to the Rangers, a top 5-10 center in the league. What changed? Playing on a line with Artemi Panarin, mostly*. (I know Zbad had a near ppg season prior to Panarin's arrival. Larkin also has a near ppg season under his belt).

Why would the Red Wings make the exact type of "sell-low" mistake that Ottawa made with Zibanejad?
Two perspectives:

1) That Detroit is going to sell low on Larkin given his recent production
2) That Detroit will not trade Larkin under any circumstance because he part of long-term plan of the Wings

Truth seems to be in the middle of those two. I agree that Yzerman has no intention to sell Larkin at a discount. And Yzerman is asking himself whether during the next year or so whether he could get not bottom dollar, but top dollar for Larkin, because after that point he is going to deal with a player that wants a long-term contract with a NMC. Yzerman could decided that paying for Larkin from ages 27-34ish is a wise use of team resources. Or, he could determine that an offer from Team X of 3-4 young assets is better for the team long term.

But in either case, Yzerman is going to be listening to offers.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
"Some names expected to be shopped are Aleksander Barkov, Evgeni Malkin, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evgeny Kuznetsov, and possibly Sidney Crosby. "

Uhh, Crosby is expected to be shopped? Can we just toss this source out or?

RNH is a UFA, so they could pursue, but the rest along with Larkin I'd imagine availability is near 0%.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

You’re right that Larkin, if moved, it getting a lot more than what a .5ppg center would get in a vacuum. Having said that, Mika is almost never on a line with Panarin 5v5. He improved a ton as a player all around, Panarin has little to nothing to do with it

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You’re right that Larkin, if moved, it getting a lot more than what a .5ppg center would get in a vacuum. Having said that, Mika is almost never on a line with Panarin 5v5. He improved a ton as a player all around, Panarin has little to nothing to do with it

Zibanejad has definitely improved plenty in his own right. He was almost a ppg the year prior to Panarin joining, for sure. But it's no surprise Zbad exploded the year Panarin joined, both players generate a ton of points on a shared powerplay unit.

I know that Quinn has had them split off and on at 5v5, so I should've worded that more clearly. But I think it's pretty unfair to say that Panarin has little to do with Zibanejad's production blooming, especially when both players generate so much offense on the powerplay.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Zibanejad has definitely improved plenty in his own right. He was almost a ppg the year prior to Panarin joining, for sure. But it's no surprise Zbad exploded the year Panarin joined, both players generate a ton of points on a shared powerplay unit.

I know that Quinn has had them split off and on at 5v5, so I should've worded that more clearly. But I think it's pretty unfair to say that Panarin has little to do with Zibanejad's production blooming, especially when both players generate so much offense on the powerplay.
They weren’t really off and on 5v5, it was very very rare to ever have them on the same line. Having both on the PP is a contributing factor for sure though.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Two perspectives:

1) That Detroit is going to sell low on Larkin given his recent production
2) That Detroit will not trade Larkin under any circumstance because he part of long-term plan of the Wings

Truth seems to be in the middle of those two. I agree that Yzerman has no intention to sell Larkin at a discount. And Yzerman is asking himself whether during the next year or so whether he could get not bottom dollar, but top dollar for Larkin, because after that point he is going to deal with a player that wants a long-term contract with a NMC. Yzerman could decided that paying for Larkin from ages 27-34ish is a wise use of team resources. Or, he could determine that an offer from Team X of 3-4 young assets is better for the team long term.

But in either case, Yzerman is going to be listening to offers.
For that first perspective, did Yzerman sell low on Mantha for his recent production?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Then don't go after a player like Larkin.
We don't care. Cost of doing business.
What you CAN offer isn't. What you DO offer is.

let's cut the bs.
We don't have a right to tell you who you will take.
You don't have a right to force surrender of assets preferred/needed to keep.

If there is a middle ground, fine. If not, we all move on.

First things first, what about the word "freebie" and the insinuated statement "all you have to do is pay his bloated contract cost" makes sense being used in the same sentence in your world?

More importantly, if he has been a good player as you suggest, you wouldn't "throw him in as a freebie" and try to recoup value. And if you are willing to "throw him in as a freebie" then certainly there's a negative value hanging around there somewhere that you are trying to escape.

There is nothing clandestine or underhanded in my representations.
We all know NY was his first choice but hometown DET was an acceptable second.

It is accurate to say he is being thrown in as a freebie b'c except for the salary, which is both obvious and I was up front about it, because no plauer or other asset is being demanded in return.

Also, as I said before which is conveniently being ignored, Trouba is NOT deadwood like Seabrook is now.
He is productive in varying degree dep. on system and who his partner is. And the post quoted below agrees to extent of his on ice production is useful.

The ? is if he is productive and you do not have to send anything the other way, and you have enough cap space, why would you not want him for free. [in terms of acquition cost]? And if it is only a matter of cap hit, why would you come back with 'not interested' as opposed to something like:
he's overpaid by like a mil, a mil five, eat 2 mil cap hit annually.

Because at the end of the day, you are a Rangers fan and your trades always favor the Rangers.
All of us make trades favoring our own teams.
With isolated exceptions no one designs them for equal/fair value, let alone a loss.

You tend put together long, boring posts with a lot of bending over backwards to suggest that your spare parts, negative value contracts, and depth level prospects somehow can combine to match the value of the one key component the Rangers end up on the receiving end of.
Most people,, agree or disagree, do not find my content boring.
That personal opinion is an aspersion made in the hope it will enhance the rest of your argument, which it does not.
Everyone's arguments should and usually rise or fall on the merits, esp after the merits are clearly revealed and understood.

There is no conceivable way that the Rangers lose a deal when the move out a bland middle 6 player in Strome,
Strome is not bland, not in recent memory. He is playing like ballpark a t top 10C.
Objective examination of the facts will verify.

get out of the Trouba deal,
incidental and does not impact the players going to Wings.

don't give up any significant prospect,
In leiu of a prospect, I had Buch and a 1st

and in return they get one of the better two way top 6 centers in the league that has been stuck on and held back by a bad Detroit roster.
That is not on me and you are theoretically sellling him b'c you have to.

Zero value given up, lots of value coming back.
It is your math that does not add up.

What a genius you are.
Cruel attempts at sarcasm do not make you look good.

The Wings could absolutely use Jacob Trouba. He's still a good hockey player.
On this we agree.

He's not worth 8M for the remainder of his contract, though.
Concur.

Especially not in a flat cap situation.
Concur x 2.

If you want to free up 8M in cap long term, it's going to cost you and cost you dearly.
Yes and no.
Now that it has been established in honesty that you COULD use him, AND you recognize he IS useful and not Seabrook level of drek, I expect you to bill accordingly.

If he was complete crap I would expect the Marleau standard of a 1st for 6M+ PER YEAR on a guy that has no productive contribution whatsoever.
That is not the case w/Trouba.
You are looking at what do you want to take on 1-2m per for the duration of his deal, mitigated by the fact that his NMC does not exist entirety of his deal. Can be moved in another 3 years.

He's not a "freebie toss in". His contract is an albatross around your neck and we're not going to be cool and take it off for no charge.
I didn't say no charge. I said mindful of the above, plus he is a productive player.

I'd rather sign Alec Martinez for somewhere in the 4 or 5 million for a couple years.
You have a right to that preference, but AM has lots more miles and as is way more beat up and used up that JT.

Or wait and toss 8-10m at Werenski who seems to want to come to Detroit.
I don;t know about8-10 mil but a signif # for Werenski, depending on term and conditions, could be good. If you are not paying top $ to any other D at the moment, you may be able to swing it.
Also if you land Trouba, and Werenski feels he's got somebody besides Seider and Hronek, he may respond favorably to that.

It's not that Trouba is even bad... it's that we can use 8M so much more effectively than to take him on.
That is a fair and legit pt.
But remain mindful this is a subcomponent separate transaction from the larger deal, separate and apart from assets for larkin.

Also in the short term, let's remember in fairness I took DeKeyser + to more than cover the initial cap hit.
So if this deal actually nets you $ benefitting from cap taken by Rangers. and Trouba can be dealt after 2 yrs from that pt, there is really very little duration in which Wings are stuck w/Trouba if they don't want him..

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Again

Larkin is NOT being dealt,
this is all just hypothetical to see if there is common ground.

At the end of the day, there is no common ground because you are clutching to your pieces that a rebuild would covet, and rightfully so. When seeking common ground, you can’t really avoid the biggest needs of the other party. And I’m sure you think you have addressed the needs, but you really missed the mark in a pretty major way.

If Larkin is being moved, which we know he isn’t, it’s also an open statement by Detroit that the rebuild is being extended even further than it already has been. You can’t move out the core piece of your franchise and not bring back multiple pieces of a future core. A first round pick is not a big enough piece of a future core to move the needle. The roster players are fine players, but I don’t care about immediate value in this hypothetical. I need future value.

This shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Rangers pushing to reach the end of a rebuild aren’t a good fit to target a bottom feeder rebuilding team like Detroit. A team like the Rangers should be targeting a team starting their free fall from the top, and the Red Wings should be targeting teams still trying to reach the summit in the next couple of years.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At the end of the day, there is no common ground because you are clutching to your pieces that a rebuild would covet, and rightfully so. When seeking common ground, you can’t really avoid the biggest needs of the other party. And I’m sure you think you have addressed the needs, but you really missed the mark in a pretty major way.

If Larkin is being moved, which we know he isn’t, it’s also an open statement by Detroit that the rebuild is being extended even further than it already has been. You can’t move out the core piece of your franchise and not bring back multiple pieces of a future core. A first round pick is not a big enough piece of a future core to move the needle. The roster players are fine players, but I don’t care about immediate value in this hypothetical. I need future value.

This shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Rangers pushing to reach the end of a rebuild aren’t a good fit to target a bottom feeder rebuilding team like Detroit. A team like the Rangers should be targeting a team starting their free fall from the top, and the Red Wings should be targeting teams still trying to reach the summit in the next couple of years.

I think this is basically where we agree to disagree.
You need future pieces and I get you prefer futures pieces and I get the convenience of one stop shopping.
but your dictum that
"The roster players are fine players, but I don’t care about immediate value in this hypothetical. I need future value." is problematic.

There IS a supply and demand issue for bluest blue chip elcs.
That is why everybody asks, and nobody gets.

Either Wings feel they are best holding on to Larkin, fine that's a sensible door #1.

Or, they feel a need to actively take initiative.
If they get a better deal fine.
If not, then they get assets + Buch + Strome +, then go 2 or 3 steps and flip them for something that you consider a better fit.

Or stay behind door #2
peace out

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Then don't go after a player like Larkin.
We don't care. Cost of doing business.
What you CAN offer isn't. What you DO offer is.

let's cut the bs.
We don't have a right to tell you who you will take.
You don't have a right to force surrender of assets preferred/needed to keep.

If there is a middle ground, fine. If not, we all move on.

First things first, what about the word "freebie" and the insinuated statement "all you have to do is pay his bloated contract cost" makes sense being used in the same sentence in your world?

More importantly, if he has been a good player as you suggest, you wouldn't "throw him in as a freebie" and try to recoup value. And if you are willing to "throw him in as a freebie" then certainly there's a negative value hanging around there somewhere that you are trying to escape.

There is nothing clandestine or underhanded in my representations.
We all know NY was his first choice but hometown DET was an acceptable second.

It is accurate to say he is being thrown in as a freebie b'c except for the salary, which is both obvious and I was up front about it, because no plauer or other asset is being demanded in return.

Also, as I said before which is conveniently being ignored, Trouba is NOT deadwood like Seabrook is now.
He is productive in varying degree dep. on system and who his partner is. And the post quoted below agrees to extent of his on ice production is useful.

The ? is if he is productive and you do not have to send anything the other way, and you have enough cap space, why would you not want him for free. [in terms of acquition cost]? And if it is only a matter of cap hit, why would you come back with 'not interested' as opposed to something like:
he's overpaid by like a mil, a mil five, eat 2 mil cap hit annually.

Because at the end of the day, you are a Rangers fan and your trades always favor the Rangers.
All of us make trades favoring our own teams.
With isolated exceptions no one designs them for equal/fair value, let alone a loss.

You tend put together long, boring posts with a lot of bending over backwards to suggest that your spare parts, negative value contracts, and depth level prospects somehow can combine to match the value of the one key component the Rangers end up on the receiving end of.
Most people,, agree or disagree, do not find my content boring.
That personal opinion is an aspersion made in the hope it will enhance the rest of your argument, which it does not.
Everyone's arguments should and usually rise or fall on the merits, esp after the merits are clearly revealed and understood.

There is no conceivable way that the Rangers lose a deal when the move out a bland middle 6 player in Strome,
Strome is not bland, not in recent memory. He is playing like ballpark a t top 10C.
Objective examination of the facts will verify.

get out of the Trouba deal,
incidental and does not impact the players going to Wings.

don't give up any significant prospect,
In leiu of a prospect, I had Buch and a 1st

and in return they get one of the better two way top 6 centers in the league that has been stuck on and held back by a bad Detroit roster.
That is not on me and you are theoretically sellling him b'c you have to.

Zero value given up, lots of value coming back.
It is your math that does not add up.

What a genius you are.
Cruel attempts at sarcasm do not make you look good.

The Wings could absolutely use Jacob Trouba. He's still a good hockey player.
On this we agree.

He's not worth 8M for the remainder of his contract, though.
Concur.

Especially not in a flat cap situation.
Concur x 2.

If you want to free up 8M in cap long term, it's going to cost you and cost you dearly.
Yes and no.
Now that it has been established in honesty that you COULD use him, AND you recognize he IS useful and not Seabrook level of drek, I expect you to bill accordingly.

If he was complete crap I would expect the Marleau standard of a 1st for 6M+ PER YEAR on a guy that has no productive contribution whatsoever.
That is not the case w/Trouba.
You are looking at what do you want to take on 1-2m per for the duration of his deal, mitigated by the fact that his NMC does not exist entirety of his deal. Can be moved in another 3 years.

He's not a "freebie toss in". His contract is an albatross around your neck and we're not going to be cool and take it off for no charge.
I didn't say no charge. I said mindful of the above, plus he is a productive player.

I'd rather sign Alec Martinez for somewhere in the 4 or 5 million for a couple years.
You have a right to that preference, but AM has lots more miles and as is way more beat up and used up that JT.

Or wait and toss 8-10m at Werenski who seems to want to come to Detroit.
I don;t know about8-10 mil but a signif # for Werenski, depending on term and conditions, could be good. If you are not paying top $ to any other D at the moment, you may be able to swing it.
Also if you land Trouba, and Werenski feels he's got somebody besides Seider and Hronek, he may respond favorably to that.

It's not that Trouba is even bad... it's that we can use 8M so much more effectively than to take him on.
That is a fair and legit pt.
But remain mindful this is a subcomponent separate transaction from the larger deal, separate and apart from assets for larkin.

Also in the short term, let's remember in fairness I took DeKeyser + to more than cover the initial cap hit.
So if this deal actually nets you $ benefitting from cap taken by Rangers. and Trouba can be dealt after 2 yrs from that pt, there is really very little duration in which Wings are stuck w/Trouba if they don't want him..
Kinda makes the Unibomber Manifesto concise and to the point

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's kinda weird to me anyways that some Rangers fans seem to zero in on acquiring Larkin a lot, rather than working something out with the Kings.

LA is loaded with young centers. Detroit ain't. You're not getting Larkin for anything short of a ridiculous overpay. Like, an overpay that would get Gorton fired.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
It's kinda weird to me anyways that some Rangers fans seem to zero in on acquiring Larkin a lot, rather than working something out with the Kings.

LA is loaded with young centers. Detroit ain't. You're not getting Larkin for anything short of a ridiculous overpay. Like, an overpay that would get Gorton fired.

Actually, the other team that has a lot of young potential C's is Carolina and the Rangers have a trade history with them.

Suzuki, Jarvis, Drury and Rees (though he might be a wing at higher levels). No idea if any of them are available or what CAR would want, but as a Rangers fan I'm more interested in inquiring about those guys.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I think everyone is knocking on all doors hoping vs hope to find something cause like I said, reality is there is a shortage of affordable high end talent.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Panarin and Zibby only play on the PP together, when the other team has 1 less guy on the ice.
Zibby plays with kreider and Buchnevich

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Don't worry ranger fans will give a used Sweat towel from all the players

Don't miss out on this golden opportunity

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Strome doesn’t start the conversation for Larkin.

tenor.gif

Signed every buffalo fan

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Panarin and Zibby only play on the PP together, when the other team has 1 less guy on the ice.
Zibby plays with kreider and Buchnevich

I understand that, I should've worded my first post more clearly. Both players generate a ton of points on the poweplay.

When Zbad was Larkin's age and played with worse teammates he put up similar numbers to Larkin. He's improved, for sure. But he's also playing with significantly better teammates. If Larkin played on a powerplay unit with Artemi Panarin instead of Christen Djoos and the corpse of Valteri Filpulla his production would improve.

My point is that Detroit shouldn't make the same mistake Ottawa made in selling low on a talented player because his production doesn't reflect his actual value. Fortunately I trust thay Yzerman won't.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I understand that, I should've worded my first post more clearly. Both players generate a ton of points on the poweplay.

When Zbad was Larkin's age and played with worse teammates he put up similar numbers to Larkin. He's improved, for sure. But he's also playing with significantly better teammates. If Larkin played on a powerplay unit with Artemi Panarin instead of Christen Djoos and the corpse of Valteri Filpulla his production would improve.

My point is that Detroit shouldn't make the same mistake Ottawa made in selling low on a talented player because his production doesn't reflect his actual value. Fortunately I trust thay Yzerman won't.

Oh I got ya. The Zibby move was purely financial. The only way I see the wings moving Larkin is if they get multiple cost controlled young assets in the age range of zadina, Seider, Raymond etc and not want to give Larkin a new deal with a nMC. So I guess this would partly be for financial reasons, even though most wing fans would have no problem if he was a red wing for life. Would expect him to have higher stats with better talent as well. Eichel too for that matter.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad