Speculation: availability of Dylan Larkin

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yardbarker:

He references Elliot F.

Nothing def, just a maybe, but gist is to the effect that if Stevie Y thinks it accelerates the rebuild to a faster rebound, he may well go there.

This is not recent conventional wisdom: that Larkin is a favorite son, not available, don't even ask.

IF IF IF he were made available, per CapFriendly he is 24 yrs old now, 2 mo seasons at 6.1, then UFA; what will Y-man ask? What is yr team's offer? I saw some nonsense about playing Larkin v. Eichel to drive down the price, but I don't buy it. I do buy that there is a hard cap reality and other than an uber-generational McDavid at 20 locked up long term, gutting resources is excessively counterproductive. That said, Larkin is at min signif talent. Curious to imagine a high speed line of Kreider-Larkin-Zib!

Pls submit your offers w/specific currency if you can.
Let us assume that no offer from any team would entice for Seider to be in a package.

As for Rangers, let's look at both with and without Trouba waiving.

Your thoughts/offers....

Reactions: BHD

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I doubt the Rangers would be interested enough to make a big offer, I think ideally management is pursuing one of three options:

1. Trade for Eichel
2. Sign Barkov if he hits UFA after next season
3. Re-sign Zib

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
there is no news here.... the source is an opinion by elliot friedman. Dylans availability is no different than it was a year ago, or yesterday. Nothing has changed.

This is purely my opinion and not anything I’ve heard, but, coming out of the enormous Detroit/Washington deal, does anyone ask Steve Yzerman about Dylan Larkin? One of the reasons Anthony Mantha and Jakub Vrana were traded was due to frustration with their play (and, especially in Vrana’s case, his own consternation at the way he was being used). But another key factor is that the Red Wings feel their rebuild will take longer than originally predicted. 31 Thoughts

if anyone is seeking to trade for larkin, a 1C must come back, or a blue chip C prospect (with 1C potential)+. Teams wont be willing to pay that....

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yardbarker:

He references Elliot F.

Nothing def, just a maybe, but gist is to the effect that if Stevie Y thinks it accelerates the rebuild to a faster rebound, he may well go there.

This is not recent conventional wisdom: that Larkin is a favorite son, not available, don't even ask.

IF IF IF he were made available, per CapFriendly he is 24 yrs old now, 2 mo seasons at 6.1, then UFA; what will Y-man ask? What is yr team's offer? I saw some nonsense about playing Larkin v. Eichel to drive down the price, but I don't buy it. I do buy that there is a hard cap reality and other than an uber-generational McDavid at 20 locked up long term, gutting resources is excessively counterproductive. That said, Larkin is at min signif talent. Curious to imagine a high speed line of Kreider-Larkin-Zib!

Pls submit your offers w/specific currency if you can.
Let us assume that no offer from any team would entice for Seider to be in a package.

As for Rangers, let's look at both with and without Trouba waiving.

Your thoughts/offers....

This is nothing. This is literally nothing.

Friedman said "Oh, Detroit traded Mantha, but he was one of two guys with term left! So, they're totally gonna look to trade Larkin too, because he's a guy with term who will be running out his contract when we think they'll be good again!"

There is no trade to be made here. You want Larkin, it's either with us adding something big and we get Eichel or Draisaitl or something like that or you pony up a lot.

Also, Eichel vs Larkin isn't going to drive Eichel's price down. Eichel is a premium center. Larkin is very good, but a tier or two below him. If Larkin drives his price down, it's because teams are being f***ing cheap.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Elliotte Friedman makes sure to clarify that he is SPECULATING that teams might ASK about Larkin.

Larkin is a completely different situation/player than Mantha. Trading Mantha means nothing about Larkin.

Larkin is not available.

Yzerman specifically said he is not available.

IF you want to force us to play the game of "what would Detroit want for him?" the answer is "Way, way, way more than you are willing to give up for him, and that is fine if you think that is ridiculous, because we are not offering him up"

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The rationale of trading Larkin is this: he has 2 years left on his deal (pending UFA), and a full NTC in the last year. You need full assurance that he wants to stay, because when contract extension negotiations can start the NTC has already kicked in.

I think it would be wise to keep him, recent history has shown you just can't strip your team down during a rebuild. Clearly Mantha wasn't a fit, but Larkin is a leader that would be worthwhile keeping around. But there is a gamble in trying to keep him, but Yzerman may have a good idea of what that risk actually is.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
1- yzerman has zero plans of trading the guy he just named captain whom he chose to lead the rebuild of drw culture . yzerman thought this over for an entire year = larkin is thee cornerstone ...

2- fans that dont watch detroit dont understand how valuable he is because of wheels , motor , smarts , desire . larko puts on as many miles per 60 as anybody in the nhl , constantly hounding or hauling the puck . they type work that doesnt show up in stats but is extremely important to win . you wont find a better leader by example than larkin ...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
IF you want to force us to play the game of "what would Detroit want for him?" the answer is "Way, way, way more than you are willing to give up for him, and that is fine if you think that is ridiculous, because we are not offering him up"

Amen. I was all in for trading Mantha based on age/position. I could get on board trading Bert on the same basis. The only way Larkin moves is for a significantly better version of Larkin or because it's now 2028 and the franchise has turned into Buffalo.

That said, I'm sort of assuming this entire thread turns into another "Seider to NYR for Trouba with extra steps" thread, so whatever.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Doesn't make any sense to me unless Larkin has told them he's not planning on staying long term. They've been playing Michael Rasmussen as their 2C haven't they? They don't have a future 1C in their system either. Unless they get a young top 6 centre as a return, he should be untouchable as they come.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Larkin is apparently bringing Werenski home so you can't trade him or you lost both.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
My favorite part of the article was where the author stated that the availability of Larkin could be leveraged to Buffalo to drive down the price of Eichel as if they’re comparables. Larkin is a fine player, but he certainly doesn’t have Eichel upside.

Also, I don’t think the availability of Mantha should be indicative of the availability of Larkin. One is a locally born, 24 year old center that was just named captain while the other is a 26 year old winger.

Reactions: breuk

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I like Larkin but IMO he absolutely should not be untouchable. He ranges from a 50-70 pt center, which is good, not great for a 1C. If theres a chance at getting multiple blue chip pieces 2 years away from UFA and coming up on a NTC, they should seriously listen and entertain the idea.

If Larkin was an 80 pt or PPG player, it would be a different story, but he's not

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
there is no news here.... the source is an opinion by elliot friedman. Dylans availability is no different than it was a year ago, or yesterday. Nothing has changed.

if anyone is seeking to trade for larkin, a 1C must come back, or a blue chip C prospect (with 1C potential)+. Teams wont be willing to pay that....

I'd offer Rossi + both '21 1st + cap dump, but I agree that Larkin should stay in Detroit

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

Larkin seems like a Duchene type player with Duchene type stats when he was in Colorado.

A good 2C but playing the 1C role.... so dont see how you can "upgrade" if you are trading him away.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad