Speculation: availability of Dylan Larkin

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Regular listener of the 31 Thoughts podcast...

Friedman never said Larkin is/was available. Rather, he talked about whether a significant offer would get Yzerman to trade him.

It’s funny, because he has, in fact, said specifically that Larkin isn’t available.

But for whatever reason, when it comes to Elliotte, people can’t differentiate between him speculating and him actually reporting insider info. To be clear, I’m talking about the OP’s quote, not yours.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think Detroit would be wise to trade him to a team he's unlikely to want to sign with long term, develop the young assets they receive in that trade, and then re-sign Larkin once he hits UFA in 2 years...

To Columbus: Larkin

To Detroit: CBJ's 2021 1st, TOR's 2021 1st, TB's 2021 1st

And assuming they don't take on any salary, the Wings can use the 6.1 million in additional cap space to take on a bad contract (with 2 or less years remaining) for yet another pick or prospect...

To Edmonton: 2021 6th

To Detroit: 2021 1st, Neal

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The question isn't how valuable Larkin is in a vacuum, or to another team, but how valuable Larkin is to Detroit. Given the lack of other high end C's on the wings he has more value to them than a team such as Edmonton, Toronto, or TBL.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The question isn't how valuable Larkin is in a vacuum, or to another team, but how valuable Larkin is to Detroit. Given the lack of other high end C's on the wings he has more value to them than a team such as Edmonton, Toronto, or TBL.

which is why most here said he's not being dealt and we recognized the source quoted admits it is spec which we are just all having a friendly chat as to a hypothetical

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Regular listener of the 31 Thoughts podcast...

Friedman never said Larkin is/was available. Rather, he talked about whether a significant offer would get Yzerman to trade him.

I'm sure a significant offer would get Yzerman going, I imagine it would be an offer even steeper than the one we got for Mantha or a greater player coming in return.

With Yzerman I don't think anyone is untouchable, and that makes me excited and terrified at the same time.

Reactions: BHD and bernmeister

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't think he should be available, and its extremely likely he remains a wing for the foreseeable future but I think some the red wings fans saying he is untouchable are being naive. He is significantly older than the rest of their core (and their core they've yet to draft) and Yzerman definitely recognizes this. If he were to get a high pick or a u21 player/prospect who projected to be a 1C, thats probably a deal that would benefit Detroit in the long run.

It's also hard to gauge Larkin's value because its hard to gauge what Larkin is. He has hit 70 points, but he has more consistently been around the 60 point pace range. The wings were even worse last year but his totals (and even overall play) have taken a step back this year. No team is trading for him to be their 1C because he is simply not strong enough of a 1C to lead to team on a deep playoff run. More likely scenario is a team with a great 1C looking for Larkin to play 2C. Thus the discrepancy on price and how much teams are willing to pay.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think Detroit would be wise to trade him to a team he's unlikely to want to sign with long term, develop the young assets they receive in that trade, and then re-sign Larkin once he hits UFA in 2 years...

To Columbus: Larkin

To Detroit: CBJ's 2021 1st, TOR's 2021 1st, TB's 2021 1st
Oh no. Please don't throw us in that there briar patch, Br'er Fox!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think he should be available, and its extremely likely he remains a wing for the foreseeable future but I think some the red wings fans saying he is untouchable are being naive. He is significantly older than the rest of their core (and their core they've yet to draft) and Yzerman definitely recognizes this. If he were to get a high pick or a u21 player/prospect who projected to be a 1C, thats probably a deal that would benefit Detroit in the long run.

It's also hard to gauge Larkin's value because its hard to gauge what Larkin is. He has hit 70 points, but he has more consistently been around the 60 point pace range. The wings were even worse last year but his totals (and even overall play) have taken a step back this year. No team is trading for him to be their 1C because he is simply not strong enough of a 1C to lead to team on a deep playoff run. More likely scenario is a team with a great 1C looking for Larkin to play 2C. Thus the discrepancy on price and how much teams are willing to pay.

I also will say again whenever this comes up, Larkin is probably the only player on the team Yzerman needs ownership approval to move. He doesn't get dealt without the Ilitch family saying yes to the deal, that is another wrinkle here. You also have the dreams of Werenski around the organization which are pretty much DOA if you deal his best friend out of town. I just don't see this. Yzerman has repeatedly said he is a long-term core piece and gives him protection at every turn.

Somebody can offer, I just don't see a realistic offer that clears the hurdles it would take.

Larkin, Seider and Raymond are the only confirmed protections. What speculation came after that from Marek and Friedman was to create the clicks and hits that are happening here. Despite the struggles this year, nobody in the organization has anything but positive things to say about Dylan Larkin. He is a guy that does it the way the old guard did, he stretches across eras in terms of his training and their belief in him. He has been the next guy just like Zetterberg and Lidstrom. He might not have that kind of talent but they talk about him in the same regard and he is massive in the community. He isn't just an on ice move, it is actually the only kind of move that could dampen the support of an even deeper rebuild and shake some of the faith Stevie has with all but a few anti-Larkin Red Wings fans. Yzerman would have to be blown away and convince Marian and Chris that it was okay while being told they stopped this very thing from happening to him once upon a time... Tough sell.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I doubt the Rangers would be interested enough to make a big offer, I think ideally management is pursuing one of three options:

1. Trade for Eichel
2. Sign Barkov if he hits UFA after next season
3. Re-sign Zib
I think posters here underestimate how much of a red flag herniated disk surgery raises. Eichel attraction much diminished now.
Not that it was ever firm that NYR FO was interested in that route. High acquisition cost plus very high immediate Cap Hit.
They prob focus more on guy, like Zib was in Ottawa, high ceiling not yet reached.

Reactions: bernmeister

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Might want to add some context to how disappointing the play of both those 1/2 overall have been to date. Larkin is a 1C.
"disappointing" in the eyes of who?
Not folks who actually watch the team play, not just the box scores.
Besides, they werent drafted for what they'd be this year, or next.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
"disappointing" in the eyes of who?
Not folks who actually watch the team play, not just the box scores.
Besides, they werent drafted for what they'd be this year, or next.
Unless they have played much better than against other teams, certainly against the lowly Sabres, I hardly notice them or heard there names even mentioned. At all.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Unless they have played much better than against other teams, certainly against the lowly Sabres, I hardly notice them or heard there names even mentioned. At all.

yeah Laf's OT goal was easy to overlook

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think posters here underestimate how much of a red flag herniated disk surgery raises. Eichel attraction much diminished now.
Not that it was ever firm that NYR FO was interested in that route. High acquisition cost plus very high immediate Cap Hit.
They prob focus more on guy, like Zib was in Ottawa, high ceiling not yet reached.

And this is on top of any nagging injuries which are not much individually, but cumulatively add up.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Bottom line is that Larkins value to Detroit exceeds his market value so it would take a solid overpay unless he’s shopped

Considering their place in the standings, and the fact Larkin is a UFA in 2 years, I'd argue he has less value to the Red Wings than he would to a contending team...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Considering their place in the standings, and the fact Larkin is a UFA in 2 years, I'd argue he has less value to the Red Wings than he would to a contending team...

And you would be, unsurprisingly, very wrong.

The Wings are going to start having some more of their promising kids joining the roster soon. If the Wings traded him, they would have one player under contract for two years from now currently. Richard Panik. The Red Wings would have zero good NHL centers and their already meager offense would drift down to nothing. Fan interest has already flagged tremendously over the past five years. Imagine what trading your most and damn near only remaining recognizable face would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And you would be, unsurprisingly, very wrong.

The Wings are going to start having some more of their promising kids joining the roster soon. If the Wings traded him, they would have one player under contract for two years from now currently. Richard Panik. The Red Wings would have zero good NHL centers and their already meager offense would drift down to nothing. Fan interest has already flagged tremendously over the past five years. Imagine what trading your most and damn near only remaining recognizable face would do.

Generally:
Larkin has signif value.
That does not mean, theoretically, an offer can't be put on the table which is too much to decline.

Specifically:
there is a dearth of quality Cs league wide right now.

Either you go long term contract w/the guy [assuming he is amenable]
OR
you add to your haul by selling high on an asset in short supply.

A middle ground would be
a comparatively lesser but still quality C (Strome) ++
for
Larkin

Strome is not Larkin but is a top 10 C who is legit top 6, either line.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Plus he’s a hometown kid and management needs a talent and face that they can ride through the rebuild. He’ll be overpaid to stay and the team will improve under Stevie Y. He has significantly more value to Detroit than any other team out there from an asset perspective. This is why another team would have to blow them away with an offer because you’re paying for the player and the marketing value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad