Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round III

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Laine is great skater, only gotta watch some highlights of yesterday game. He needs more explosive first few steps is all, and it's gonna improve, just matter of how much.
And it was just a a year ago in this forum, fans were talking about how Laine's skating was poor?

So, he's been gradually but steadily improving, it sounds like it.

Let the Leafs draft Matthews. They've been such an inept organization for so long, they might as well continue.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
TSN is so heavily skewed towards TO. This link to the site proves it. Not one mention of the #2 prospect getting 3 points. Oh boy. If TO had the #2 pick all the articles would be about Laine. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you have consumed too much TO koolaide.

TO centric, not Matthews centric.

Maybe Matthews is the best right now. :D

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Also the tone in the thread has frankly become embarrassing since the draft lottery. I am all for a bit of friendly competition and minor trolling but some people in this thread need to take a good look in the mirror.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Laine has a great shot, can't think of a single other area of the game that he comes close to Matthews in though. Just hope Laine can improve his skating at some point, pretty average at this point and that could really hold him back.
By all accounts, he was invisible against the Canadian team. Except, the Toronto media hyped him but he had no goals and there's no highlights of him in that game, really.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
And it was just a a year ago in this forum, fans were talking about how Laine's skating was poor?

Let the Leafs draft Matthews. They've been such an inept organization for so long, they might as well continue.

He had a bad knee injury that held his skating back.

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015

Laine has very good skating technique which is why he looks kind of effortless and his top speed is already good for his size. Barkov is a pretty nice example to compare at because of very similar frame, he also seemed sluggish but actually always had very good technique to build on and after one good off season of being healthy he improved his skating a lot.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
If Matthews has an okay to good tournament (let's say 6-7 points in 10 games) and Laine is lights out (15 points in 10 games) then just don't see how the Leafs don't draft Laine 1st overall. There'd be lots of backtracking to do by Leafs fans in this thread who have spent the last week pumping Matthews' tires and bashing Laine. :laugh:

Perhaps, but scouts also evaluate their plays in more details than just points. This is how Ferraro compares the two players:

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/vid...ews-was-the-best-u-s-player-on-the-ice~865018

According to Ferraro, Laines's skating is similar to Tavares in his draft year. Laine supporters will blacklist Ferraro as another biased commentator after listening to this.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013

He had an injury, the progress in one year has been insane. Also i think he had some great coach last summer or so, forgot the name.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Leafs have allowed hype and PR for decision-making before. Maybe, it'll be different with LL but it depends how much control he's given?

So, without the PR and hype, Matthews would be drafted in the 2nd round I assume? :laugh:

These guys are at worst 1A-1B. Both are exceptional prospects.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Point is, that knowing how Matthews centred TSN is and how they are hyping him, it is easier to understand how Leafs posters, whom many haven't seen that much top 3 themselves, may imagine Matthews really is head and shoulders above others. That is simply not true. Matthews is great talent and very good already. He may become best player from this draft very well. He is also a center and incredibly valuable to team like Leafs. I fully assume he will also be 1OA. However he is far from clearly best player of this draft. The best may just as easily be Laine, whoay have potential to score pants off the league. Or it can be Puljujärvi, who is rawest of them.

But it is certainly reason to debate and for teams to think twice how they pick. Nor TSN or many Leafs posters seem to recognise how close these three are even though very different players.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Point is, that knowing how Matthews centred TSN is and how they are hyping him, it is easier to understand how Leafs posters, whom many haven't seen that much top 3 themselves, may imagine Matthews really is head and shoulders above others. That is simply not true. Matthews is great talent and very good already. He may become best player from this draft very well. He is also a center and incredibly valuable to team like Leafs. I fully assume he will also be 1OA. However he is far from clearly best player of this draft. The best may just as easily be Laine, whoay have potential to score pants off the league. Or it can be Puljujärvi, who is rawest of them.

But it is certainly reason to debate and for teams to think twice how they pick. Nor TSN or many Leafs posters seem to recognise how close these three are even though very different players.

This shouldn't suprise you when Leafers use things like NHLe to compare them.

:D

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Fair enough, but the best player may not be the right player to pick first overall.

What I mean is look at the Ovechkin draft....

Who would you rather build a team around?

LW Ovechkin

or

C Malkin

Not that easy a decision if you ask me... I don't think an anyone would be batting an eye right now if WAS drafted Malkin and PIT drafted Ovechkin.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If Matthews has an okay to good tournament (let's say 6-7 points in 10 games) and Laine is lights out (15 points in 10 games) then just don't see how the Leafs don't draft Laine 1st overall. There'd be lots of backtracking to do by Leafs fans in this thread who have spent the last week pumping Matthews' tires and bashing Laine. :laugh:

One tournament doesn't change their stance, and points aren't everything

It will be funny when Winnipeg takes Pulji over Laine tho

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It is rather pointless to look back to pre-draft years for comparing who is the better player. There are tons of players who were the "consensus top 3" picks in pre-draft years and disappointed in the draft year. Off the top of my head, Drake Berehowsky, Mike Ricci, Jason Bonsignore, Angelo Esposito, Sean Coutourier, and the latest, Jacob Chychrun. Matthews actually needed to continue improving in his draft year to stay at the top of most draft lists.

The whole idea to bring it up was not to compare players, but instead to elaborate the background for people who cannot fathom how Laine has just made a run on the podium seats in such a short time span. Laine isn't a late bloomer, but the injury he had was a serious one and as someone already mentioned here, he himself thought he might not even fully recover from it. For a big guy like him, while still growing it's even more damaging considering the devopelement affecting mostly speed, acceleration and overall agility. The progress from the following off-season was just astonishing. Even some Finns seemed to write Laine off from top prospects list just a year ago. Luckily he is a hard worker and has not only the will to become the best, but understands he has to work hard to get there. Where Laine ends up talent-wise is a whole another question of which we won't know the answer until some years from today.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The whole idea to bring it up was not to compare players, but instead to elaborate the background for people who cannot fathom how Laine has just made a run on the podium seats in such a short time span. Laine isn't a late bloomer, but the injury he had was a serious one and as someone already mentioned here, he himself thought he might not even fully recover from it. For a big guy like him, while still growing it's even more damaging considering the devopelement affecting mostly speed, acceleration and overall agility. The progress from the following off-season was just astonishing. Even some Finns seemed to write Laine off from top prospects list just a year ago. Luckily he is a hard worker and has not only the will to become the best, but understands he has to work hard to get there. Where Laine ends up talent-wise is a whole another question of which we won't know the answer until some years from today.

either way the Leafs are in the right spot. We have the chance at either one.
Now I see it as the 2 are very close and when you factor in the Leafs future needs it makes Matthwes a no brainer

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One tournament doesn't change their stance, and points aren't everything

It will be funny when Winnipeg takes Pulji over Laine tho

That's fine by me. I haven't spent the last 5 days bashing Pulju to make myself feel better about our apparent pick unlike fans of a certain other team :popcorn:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Only few more hours till we see Matthews play tonight.

It's going to be interesting to see him facing basically a KHL team AKA Belarus which is a step up from NLA teams. He did fine in the Canada game but after all this hype I did expect a little bit more.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
That's fine by me. I haven't spent the last 5 days bashing Pulju to make myself feel better about our apparent pick unlike fans of a certain other team :popcorn:

I wouldn't disappointed if we picked Laine but I would be a little confused.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Meh, puljujarvi isn't on Laines level. Not that close for me either.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010

And if those stats are reversed, how many Finnish posters will come on here and say "hey, you know what? Leafs fans were totally right. Matthews really IS better than Laine"????

Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad