JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
461130774.jpg

Vs.

a683cb90-0dac-11e6-b128-af4afb6457d8_patrik-laine.jpg

McKenzie Audio: https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-va...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2070807

Last edited:

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
I was at todays game and it took me a while to read all the posts in the previous thread. Very entertaining stuff. Some clearly biased posters in that thread are calling others biased :)

This was the first time i saw Matthews live. I know it was only exhibition, but i liked what i saw. Very good player considering that we had a pretty good team. Laine was good too, had a couple of good shooting chances but this time didn't score a goal. The goal in 5-3 was nice, but you obviously need to give credit for that to Jokinen and Pulkkinen too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I thought Laine was rather disappointing.

1st OA's haven't been outplayed by an 18 year old 2nd rounder in the same team even in a scrimmage and definitely not during a full season in the same league. And Aho is 5'11 170lbs center FFS.

And for what it's worth, I don't think Matthews ends up in the top 50 all time lists either, but he was much more safe player today, Laine had an off game. Somehow Matthews' strength and hands and ability to keep the puck in control in all situations reminds of Barkov, but he does it with so much more foot speed (compared to Barkov's draft year) that I feel like he will be a 60 point player from the get go. Laine will be lucky to hit 25+25 in his rookie season IMO.

I feel like it's not even up for debate at the moment. Though I thought 2013 that Barkov vs. Drouin wasn't up for debate and was called a homer when I said Barkov would go 1st or 2nd OA, maybe it's time for me to be wrong :naughty:.

Matthews and Laine will go 1st and 2nd and I think it is only really surpassed by 2015 draft as far as top 2 go.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site

This is subjective to your expectations.

1st OA's haven't been outplayed by an 18 year old 2nd rounder in the same team even in a scrimmage and definitely not during a full season in the same league. And Aho is 5'11 170lbs center FFS.

Aho also outplayed Barkov and everyone else on the ice. Does that mean he is better than Barkov?

And for what it's worth, I don't think Matthews ends up in the top 50 all time lists either, but he was much more safe player today, Laine had an off game.

Jumping to some mighty big conclusions from a one game sample, where people are playing in a strange line after a hiatus, trying to avoid injuries and there was nothing on the line...exhibition.

And no Matthews was not more safe, Laine did not cause a turnover that resulted in a 2 on 1. Matthews did, on power play.

Somehow Matthews' strength and hands and ability to keep the puck in control in all situations reminds of Barkov, but he does it with so much more foot speed (compared to Barkov's draft year) that I feel like he will be a 60 point player from the get go. Laine will be lucky to hit 25+25 in his rookie season IMO.

Matthews stayed on the perimeter while Laine attempted to drive the net and managed to create a scoring chance for himself in OT and several to Jokinen in 3rd.

I'm sure it was an off game for Matthews, but I've never seen him do much of challenging defensemen anyway, it's not what he does. Or even needs to do.

I feel like it's not even up for debate at the moment.

It damn well should be. While neither of them was the best player for their team, Laine created more. He was the more dynamic and visible player out there. He contributed more offensively and did not make defensive mistakes. But the difference wasn't huge like it would need to be if Laine wanted to overtake that #1. Of course WHC will show more.

Aho was a beast, better than these two, and he is two months older than Matthews. I don't expect that to stay that way forever (size difference will help Matthews).

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Happy to have either. Laine excites me more but Mathews is more of a lock to be what we expect of him

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland

And for what it's worth, I don't think Matthews ends up in the top 50 all time lists either, but he was much more safe player today, Laine had an off game. Somehow Matthews' strength and hands and ability to keep the puck in control in all situations reminds of Barkov, but he does it with so much more foot speed (compared to Barkov's draft year) that I feel like he will be a 60 point player from the get go. Laine will be lucky to hit 25+25 in his rookie season IMO.

I feel like it's not even up for debate at the moment. Though I thought 2013 that Barkov vs. Drouin wasn't up for debate and was called a homer when I said Barkov would go 1st or 2nd OA, maybe it's time for me to be wrong :naughty:.

Matthews and Laine will go 1st and 2nd and I think it is only really surpassed by 2015 draft as far as top 2 go.

I would be surprised if he did that... maybe I am wrong. Even Barkov struggled in his first year.

For e.g Stamkos hit 23+23 in 79 games and obviously the guy had played his whole life on a smaller rink.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought both Laine and Matthews asserted themselves well today.

But back to the main event. Laine and Matthews. It is only one exhibition game, one thing is for sure. Both will be impact players in the NHL. To me it is still too close to call who is the better 1st overall pick.

Tune up game aside, can't wait to see either in real tournament games. Today was a good warm up.

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
Matthews stayed on the perimeter...

I'm sure it was an off game for Matthews, but I've never seen him do much of challenging defensemen anyway, it's not what he does. Or even needs to do.

I was following Matthews and i saw him go to the net multiple times without the puck. A few times the situations looked really dangerous for us and that was one of the reasons why i thought that he is a good player.

I also remember at least one incident in todays game were Matthews tried to go between two defenders to the net and almost succeeded. Laine had a lot more of those (and he tried to go around defenders too), but nothing really dangerous emerged from those at the end. Nice tries though.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
From limited viewing.

Laine is exciting to watch in the way that Kovalchuk played. Someone who is always looking to drive the offense and create. Even at his young age you can see how confident he is in his shot, and how defenders need to be aware of it. One on One, you can really see a special player that can make defenders look foolish. His size and power/creative moves are evident.

Matthews is fun to watch if you are a hockey critic, in the way that Kopitar plays the game. He has the smarts as a 200ft player that fights for position in all zones. He drives the puck down low, works hard along the boards; has a strong base and backchecks like a pro. Seems more of a player that would beat you over the course of the game/year, than wow you with a flashy move.

All in all, 2 very good prospects that don't look out of place playing with current NHLers and men. Very excited to see their futures; no real need to pit one against the other. Might as well applaud what both can do separately

Last edited:

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Today was the 1st time for me (and probably for many other Finns) I saw Matthews play against top tier opponents. And I liked what I saw. He can make plays to say the least. Very smart and strong player.

Laine - Barkov - Jokinen was out of sync in their 1st game, and clearly they can improve. Laine was overdoing it and was not playing his normal game. But you could see the talent, which we have witnessed after the WJC.

Both can improve without the doubt - but especially Laine, if he wants to challenge Matthew's #1 spot. Luckily for both kids, we have no a whole tournament to see them playing at international (adult) level.

BTW: Aho is a fast-gliding supercomputer on skates. If he can overcome his size, Carolina is going to have a steal at their hands.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I was following Matthews and i saw him go to the net multiple times without the puck. A few times the situations looked really dangerous for us and that was one of the reasons why i thought that he is a good player.

I also remember at least one incident in todays game were Matthews tried to go between two defenders to the net and almost succeeded. Laine had a lot more of those (and he tried to go around defenders too), but nothing really dangerous emerged from those at the end. Nice tries though.

Yeah without the puck Matthews was inside play, with the puck perimeter. And yeah Matthews did a good challenge between two defensemen but he didnt get through and got pushed to boards, but he kicked the puck to teammate who got a good shot from a fairly good scoring area.

Laine pushed through two D and actually got through them and separated from them, it also resulted in a chance. Might have been Jokinen on that one too, he missed a few good chances that Laine created.

At least with the puck Laine was better today, but then again, wingers often are.

They are both special players, when you consider their age and the level of play they are in now (mens world championships) is a testament for their greatness. Aho too of course. All are surprisingly ready for the high level play. Usually kids coming to the mens world championships is first of all very rare, and they usually can't do much.

I remember Ovechkin in the world championships on his draft year. He had almost no success in those games. Certainly did not make an impact. People need to keep that in mind when looking at how these kids are playing.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Did anyone track Corsi and Scoring Chances for Laine and Matthews this game?

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Wouldn't read too much into one warm up game. Wait for the tournament to start, well more like actual playoff part of it.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Yeah without the puck Matthews was inside play, with the puck perimeter. And yeah Matthews did a good challenge between two defensemen but he didnt get through and got pushed to boards, but he kicked the puck to teammate who got a good shot from a fairly good scoring area.

Laine pushed through two D and actually got through them and separated from them, it also resulted in a chance. Might have been Jokinen on that one too, he missed a few good chances that Laine created.

At least with the puck Laine was better today, but then again, wingers often are.

They are both special players, when you consider their age and the level of play they are in now (mens world championships) is a testament for their greatness. Aho too of course. All are surprisingly ready for the high level play. Usually kids coming to the mens world championships is first of all very rare, and they usually can't do much.

I remember Ovechkin in the world championships on his draft year. He had almost no success in those games. Certainly did not make an impact. People need to keep that in mind when looking at how these kids are playing.
Personally as a leafs fan, I've always wanted laine.

This game did not prove that is the right decision. Both players were good, not great. Laine created more offence, not by a lot. Matthews was better without the puck. And still created some offence.

If I were to judge the two based solely off of this one game, it was pretty dang even. And I think the scout in me says take the positional need if bpa isn't clear.

I still want to be wrong and have the leafs pick laine.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I keep seeing posters say that Laine is the BPA, but Matthews goes #1 because of the position played. Nonsense. Matthews has been and will continue to be the BPA in the entire draft come June 24th.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I haven't even found shots on goal for the game yet, let alone individual stats.

I don't expect to find it from any of the official sources, someone will have to rewatch the game and manually track that. Was hoping someone here did.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I keep seeing posters say that Laine is the BPA, but Matthews goes #1 because of the position played. Nonsense. Matthews has been and will continue to be the BPA in the entire draft come June 24th.

I think most are saying both players have a chance of being the BPA, but that Matthews is the safer pick (higher floor, with a similar ceiling). They are also different players, with Matthews being a really good two-way center with offensive potential as well. However, Laine seems to have the higher offensive ceiling with a one-timer that looks like Ovi's and great wristers and slappers. His style isn't an exact copy of Ovi in other regards, however. Laine is flashy and not afraid of a challenge, while Matthews does all of the little things right and seems to be consistent as well. I have been really impressed with how strong he looks on the puck.

Most of the reasonable pro-Laine posters, including me, only get slightly frustrated when some people act like there is absolutely NO debate over who the better player is. It's only worse when someone who clearly isn't informed pretends to have a valid opinion.

As can be seen in the OP and a couple of other factors, while Matthews is the general consensus, him being better isn't set in stone. It isn't just media hype, since scouts are saying it as well.

Regardless, Matthews will deservedly go #1 (by all likelihood). He may well be the BPA anyway and the leafs happen to need a center. He is the consensus pick, so it's also better from a PR standpoint. Both fans of the leafs and fans of the jets should be happy that they got a pick in such a strong draft when it comes to top talent.

In short, most aren't saying Matthews will go first JUST because he is a center, but because they are fairly even and he still has the consensus.

sob

Jul 25, 2003
Finland
Visit site

Based on only today's game I agree.

This was the 1st game I saw from AM against top tier international players, though.

Laine was playing with Barkov and Jokinen for the 1st time - and I was not too impressed. Sure, Laine did make a great play on PP. However he was clearly trying to adjust to the Barkov-Jokinen combo and the whole line seemed out of sync. On the extra-time Aho-Laine seemed much more mature.

AM, on the other hand, impressed me several time during the game. Very solid center on both ends of the ice but especially in the offence.

Of course, this was just one game. Luckily we will have a whole tournament to evaluate both players, each hopefully excelling in their own games.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Context of OP's tweet:

Podcast in the SoundCloud link, main bits are at 10 minute mark.

Mckenzie is just blowing smoke to cause controversy. Vuori would more focused with the other picks the Leafs will have in the later rounds. He's not gonna devote a lot of time and energy trying to differentiate between two star players at the top of the list where the differences are minimal. The Leafs have a lot of picks to work with and like Dubas said in the last draft, they would rather focus more energy on perfecting their actual lists of prospects lower in the pecking order and trying to find gems rather than worrying about the difference between Matthews and Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille