Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Wait so now TSN is hyping Auston because of the leafs? People realize he doesnt play for them right? They dont know who toronto is picking

I have said from the begining. I wanted a finn. I was hoping for 2 in the lottery because i think the leagues desire to push southern markets may interfere with our ability to keep its only southern star player.

That being said. The people who are saying laine played better this year are out to lunch.

They both were medalists, and wjc all stars who scored 7g in 7 games. Jesse not Laine was te MVP of the tournament. Auston set records in the swiss league and tore it up. Laine played great. matthews team went out early. Laine had a great playoff, matthews went out early.

Just like tkachuk and dubois. Tkachuk has the longer pedigree of success but dubois went bananas in thr second half. So people want him. Even though tkachuk had an unbelivable playoff run

I think auston is the leafs pick because he plays a more important position and has a long pedigree of excelling. He has been the consensus 1 for like 2 yrs so you would be pretty confident to pick laine over him. Prospects do not develop in a linear progression.

How many guys have we seen explode and then fade a bit. Happens all the time. Just because laine showed great improvement this year doesnt mean he will show a massive equal improvement next

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Yeah I wouldn't base it off of one game. But if this continues to be a trend in the tournament, I don't know how Leaf fans can say he still is the better player.

You can have all the fundamentals you want, but if you can't put the puck in the net, how long will you remain the 1C?

It's strange watching the Canadian media - "yes Laine absolutely dominated, took 13 shots blah blah, but the Leafs should still select Matthews."

The Leafs should take Matthews first because he is the better overall player. The prospects play in the WHC nor the U20 should and will not change anything.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
No I am not a Leafs. Your theory, it's only Leaf fans, that like Matthews is not true.

More euro-based scouts have Laine as #1.

It might not be just Toronto but Matthews consescus #1 is just in na-scouts heads. People who dont even watch these kids.

McKenzie already confirmed this.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I never bashed anybody. I just think it's funny that Laine is getting pumped up to be #1 when he in fact will not be chosen #1. So for all these people trying to compare the top 2 sayin Laine has been and will be better are just stating their opinion and there are far more people with the opinion that Matthews is better. I'll go with the majority.

Do you actually even have own opinion? Your only reasoning is that you prefer one player because others say so.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
The Leafs should take Matthews first because he is the better overall player. The prospects play in the WHC nor the U20 should and will not change anything.

WHC and U20 are the only games where Laine and Matthews play against same teams and somehow these shouldn't matter :D

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
I really hope the Leafs draft Matthews like all of their fans seem to want them to. I prefer Winnipeg either way.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Who on earth would want to go into Leafs? Your career is doomed once that happens.

Now that's not true. If you're good at handling pressure it's the ''go-to'' place. The hockey's capital. The Leafs have done everything right when it comes to tanking and building for the future. They should be a monster of a team soon.

Thankstoo

Jun 29, 2013
All things equal. You pick Center over Winger. If this is the main reason to pick Matthews. Then so be it. But if one is completely unbiased this year. Laine has been better than Matthews in their draft years. And now at just turned 18, it looks like he is even becoming better. Which is a scary thought if a team passes on him.

The argument is not about who is better, it's about team construction . Laine has put up more impressive numbers this year and in my opinion is at least on par with or potentially more talented than Matthews. The Leafs and Columbus require a big center more than any other lottery team. Their prospect strength is on the wing. Nylander can play center but is likely more comfortable on the wing, Matthews affords them that luxury and why he will be the 1st OA, not necessarily the consensus top talent.

Imagine the 2016 Edmonton Oilers with their current talent pool being confronted with selecting first overall in a 2008 draft with Stamkos & Doughty ranked 1/2. We could argue all year about who is the better prospect but there should be little debate as to who they should pick with 1st OA if confronted with that choice and the state of their prospect pool.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
More euro-based scouts have Laine as #1.

It might not be just Toronto but Matthews consescus #1 is just in na-scouts heads. People who dont even watch these kids.

McKenzie already confirmed this.

I found the quote you are mentioning, and it's grossly misrepresented.

One scout justified that "in the end, we favoured the centre over the winger but I don’t think it’s a reach at all to see Laine going first overall. A lot of our European scouts who see these guys think Laine is better."

One team had their European scouts prefer Laine, but their group finally settled on Matthews because it was tight and they preferred a center. You are drawing conclusions on a league-wide basis due to what one scout said about what his team thinks.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
I found the quote you are mentioning, and it's grossly misrepresented.

One team had their European scouts prefer Laine, but their group finally settled on Matthews because it was tight and they preferred a center. You are drawing conclusions on a league-wide basis due to what one scout said about what his team thinks.

lol embarrassing. Nice catch.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
I still thinking Matthews is a better pick than Laine. The factor that might change the current ranking is the winners mentality of Laine. Laine has said clearly that his goal is to become the greatest player on earth.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Obvious bias. Wouldn't trust your judgement.

Please review my whole comment history. I've said Matthews will go 1st overall but you're laughable. You literally said that Liiga is a D-League - Which it is- After the NHL, KHL and SHL. I should be bashing Matthews for scoring 46 points against washed up 'hasbeens' in the NLA but I cant lower to your standard of bashing without any understanding of the game.

You say that teams won't win Stanley Cups with building around 60-65 point producers. How come La won 2013-2014? Last year Chicago didn't even HAVE a player above 70 points. Did they lose? This time around they had Kane, who had 106 points. THEY LOST. A good team is built when you have multiple leaders and point producers, not the one ultimate producer. That's why Toronto will be good in the future.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I still thinking Matthews is a better pick than Laine. The factor that might change the current ranking is the winners mentality of Laine. Laine has said clearly that his goal is to become the greatest player on earth.

He is for sure impressive. Matthews have rave reviews about his personality as well though.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
No I am not a Leafs. Your theory, it's only Leaf fans, that like Matthews is not true.

False. I am just checking if you got an agenda. Pretty pointless going into an argument about this topic with a Leafs fan or a U.S. citizen right now. It turns into a pissing contest like others have put it. So before talking to someone would rather just know if they got bias. I know that there are some rare Toronto fans or USA natives that prefer Laine over Matthews, so I don't want to offend those guys.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
If you have the choice between a generational winger and a franchise center, you take the center every time. If you had to choose between Sundin and Ovechkin, you take Sundin every time, even if Ovechkin can score more goals. A player like Sundin gets you closer to a cup than a player like Phil Kessel or Alex Ovechkin or Ilya Kovalchuk. Give me a good example of a time when a winger carried a team to a cup final in the post lockout era.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
Please review my whole comment history. I've said Matthews will go 1st overall but you're laughable. You literally said that Liiga is a D-League - Which it is- After the NHL, KHL and SHL. I should be bashing Matthews for scoring 46 points against washed up 'hasbeens' in the NLA but I cant lower to your standard of bashing without any understanding of the game.

You say that teams won't win Stanley Cups with building around 60-65 point producers. How come La won 2013-2014? Last year Chicago didn't even HAVE a player above 70 points. Did they lose? This time around they had Kane, who had 106 points. THEY LOST. A good team is built when you have multiple leaders and point producers, not the one ultimate producer. That's why Toronto will be good in the future.

Dude, LA and Chicago are built around Kopitar and Toews lol. What are you talking about.

You are just oozing bias.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah one playing against Canada and one against Belarus isn't the best way to judge by points.

Belarus once almost beat Team Canada's pro players in the Olympics. Sure they are not medal rd favorites. But it is fair, Matthews will have his chance today against the same opponent today. Thus to counter the point. In a comparative tournament as both have played in the WJC and now WHC. It is going to change some minds, if Matthews is outplayed by Laine again. Matthews can strengthen his #1 draft ranking with a similar game today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille