Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think its too early to say for sure that I would take Pettersson but its not as ridiculous as some people are letting on. We heard a lot from Leaf fans about how Nylander in the SHL was breaking records and that he was going to be an amazing winger, except Pettersson absolutely bent Nylanders records in the SHL over after his draft year. He was also a 5th overall pick so its not like hes some 2nd rounder having a hot start, he has a track record in a really good league, had high draft pedigree and is now making plays that say he should be able to keep it up.

I'll take Matthews for now but Pettersson could end up being the right choice here, he does have that much talent. There was a thread like this about Barzal last year vs Matthews and a lot of people scoffed at it but Barzal is definitely in the conversation and it wouldnt be a bad poll now. I think Pettersson has even more of a track record and draft pedigree to say he belongs in the conversation than Barzal did at this time last year.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
to be fair Pettersson is closer to Matthews than matthews is to McDavid and we have to deal with people saying Matthews is a top 5 player in the league and near equal to Connor on the board all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
in other words "i don't have the ability to articulate a reasonable response".

Sure, if that makes you feel better. One has played 9 games and is shooting at 40%. The other has 150 games of near PPG pace and a non bloated shooting %. It's very very simple to understand why I would choose the latter if I am forced to pick one.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
To be fair, neither team has won a playoff series in a while, and, both have major holes yet to be considered safe bets for playoff success. At least as far as the next season or two go.
Canucks won't be making the playoffs. Leafs don't really have major holes they're a good team, even the defense has been fine despite Dermott missing a few games.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL @ that Toronto defence.

Granted the Canucks' defence is worse, but the Leafs' defence is a weak spot.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Sure, if that makes you feel better. One has played 9 games and is shooting at 40%. The other has 150 games of near PPG pace and a non bloated shooting %. It's very very simple to understand.

That is fine.

But even if he was shooting at 13%, that'd still be 9 points in 9 games, while being a year younger than Matthews. Not to mention he's not exactly coming out of nowhere since he had a ridiculous +1 year.

You have to at least acknowledge that Pettersson does have the potential to be a better player. I didn't vote for him myself, but it's absolutely reasonable.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two completely different players. Both are strong defensively for their ages but Matthews is a bigger player with a great shot and who should be more physical. I don’t expect the injuries to be an ongoing issue.
EP is maybe one of the smartest players in the NHL. Relies more on making split second decisions than being able to muscle his way in. He also has a great shot. I see him becoming an elite playmaker and maybe the most exciting player along with McDavid. Not that he hits the same level as McDavid of course.
Both great players with completely different playing styles.

Reactions: Matte99

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
That is fine.

But even if he was shooting at 13%, that'd still be 9 points in 9 games, while being a year younger than Matthews.

You have to at least acknowledge that Pettersson does have the potential to be a better player.

Of course he does. Tons of young players have potential to be better than Matthews. Doesn't mean I would take them over him just because the potential is there. That potential may never be realized. This poll should be done at the end of the year. Any team would be silly to take Pettersson right now over Matthews given the small sample size. That could change at the end of the year.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Just need Pettersson to light up the Leafs next year.

And the Leafs faithful will still make yet another caveat.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Two completely different players. Both are strong defensively for their ages but Matthews is a bigger player with a great shot and who should be more physical. Injuries aside I don’t expect those to be an ongoing issue.
EP is maybe one of the smartest players in the NHL. Relies more on making split second decisions than being able to muscle his way in. He also has a great shot. I see him becoming an elite playmaker and maybe the most exciting player along with McDavid. Not that he hits the same level as McDavid of course.
Both great players with completely different playing styles.

Except Petterson doesn't have close to the talent in one finger that Matthews has.

I think people forget how good of a goal scorer Matthews is. He's a generational goal scorer 5on5. Era adjusted his comperables over a 150 game sample put him in the same category as some of the greats of all time. Matthews was 2nd in the league in goal scoring in his rookie season and last season put together an all time ES goal scoring season.

How in the world can anyone say Pettersson comes close to that after 9 games lol

Reactions: 1specter

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Except Petterson doesn't have close to the talent in one finger that Matthews has.

I think people forget how good of a goal scorer Matthews is. Era adjusted his comperables over a 150 game sample put him in the same category as some of the greats of all time. Matthews was 2nd in the league in goal scoring in his rookie season and last season put together an all time ES goal scoring season.

How in the world can anyone say Pettersson comes close to that after 9 games lol
Agree to disagree on the talent level of EP.
Matthews is already an elite goal scorer but I already like EP’s playmaking ability better. Considering who EP has played with so far this season the early results are simply amazing.
While I agree that it’s only 9 games I’ve followed hockey long enough to know when I see a young superstar in the making. It’s hard to believe that EP played mostly wing the last two years and is just learning the center position as a rookie. I don’t blame you for being cynical though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad