Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Pettersson's last game convinced me that he doesn't just "happen to" be at the right place at the right time but he really understands the game differently from everyone else. Considering the poll is "going forward", I think that Pettersson has a lot more room for improvement. Matthews probably will stagnate somewhat, I doubt he can improve all that substantially anymore - He's already played over two full seasons in NHL. When it comes to the shot and goal-scoring, I think that Pettersson actually has the better shot, especially the one-timer. Pettersson might not have better "hands" physically, but he has better "dangling sense" in that he performs more effective manoeuvres with his stick. By all means, Matthews could be better right now but as soon as next season, I think that it'll be Pettersson without a shadow of doubt.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Some people don’t understand that the purpose of the poll is “who do you take going forward”. So knowing what we know right now, Pettersson has 15 pts in 9 GP and Matthews is starting to become injury prone. I personally might not pick Pettersson, but I can’t blame posters who does

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
giphy.gif

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Seems crazy but I'd take Pettersson. Matthews usually has a shot advantage in these polls, but he doesn't have much of one if one at all here

I think Pettersson will end up in the tier with MacKinnon just below McDavid

MacKinnon is not a better player than Matthews. He has better linemates though. Imagine Pettersson with Ranta n Landy, just imagine. I think we’re talking ~10 more points by now. EP’s linemates have been god awful for the majority of the season. Not to talk about the (non)puckmoving Dmen with Edler and Tanev out...

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I am in the wait and see camp. If EP gets pass 75 points as a rookie, I will take our 1c over a top 10C in Matthews

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
MacKinnon is not a better player than Matthews. He has better linemates though. Imagine Pettersson with Ranta n Landy, just imagine. I think we’re talking ~10 more points by now. EP’s linemates have been god awful for the majority of the season. Not to talk about the (non)puckmoving Dmen with Edler and Tanev out...

Well to be fair Boeser is now Pettersson linemates and that’s a pretty good winger to have!

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don't even know how to react to this, other than it is very, very embarrassing for this website and the posters who've voted in it.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
McDavid = Bure with even better hands and elite playmaking skills
EP = Datsyuk with elite snipe and Gretzkyesque IQ
Matthews = Thornton with better speed and elite shot
MacKinnon = Upgraded Canadien version of Kovalchuck

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
ITT Leafs fans acting like Oilers fans in AM vs Connor

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Matthews, but I think EP has shown enough that I'll re-evaluate after he plays a significant amount of games. He has been amazing, but, c'mon, 9 games could be a streak.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
As they should, but I have no idea whether the neutrals or trolling here, but if people are actually serious I am absolutely speechless.

[mod]

Part of it is that people are hoping he continues to be better than Matthew so they can rub it in

this is what happens when your team is doing well and your fanbase is big. Saw it against us back in 2009-2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad