• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why is that LOL? He’s averaging a goal a game..
I think we need a larger sample size. Right now I see Matthews as the elite goal scorer and EP as a guy who will likely be an elite playmaker and get more points. But EP has a great shot as well and Matthews is a good playmaker too so it’s not black and white. Matthews 40 goal season though is something I’d have to see Elias match before I’d put him in that same mix as a goal scorer. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got there. But first he has to prove it.
I think both these players are going to end up in that tier below McDavid. It’s great to have so many young exciting players!

Reactions: Katani Kalan

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
They are two different players really ones a shoot first power forward and the other a finesse player who can shoot and pass. To put it into perspective EP is a better Marner and Mathews is a better Boeser hard to compare them to each other. I'll take EP as a Canucks fan but nobody can really say whose better moving forward really. Both franchises should be ecstatic with there own players.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Right agree to disagree then.

Let's see if EP can hit 40 goals this year and go PPG+ like Matthews was tracking too in his D+2 year. Until then it's shiny new toy syndrome and the fact he's winning this poll after 9 games proves it.

Honestly I hope he does, he's been a saving grace for my fantasy team, and the Canucks deserve some luck.
So Pettersson (the rookie) has to score at the pace Matthews did in his D+2 year for this to be close to an argument for you? What about the fact that Pettersson has scored over 20% of the points already that Matthews did his whole rookie year? In just 9 games no less.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
So Pettersson (the rookie) has to score at the pace Matthews did in his D+2 year for this to be close to an argument for you? What about the fact that Pettersson has scored over 20% of the points already that Matthews did his whole rookie year? In just 9 games no less.

Yes he's had a good 9 games, unfortunately that doesn't make him a better player than AM, or somehow makes his potential higher, sorry.

Matthews played his D+1 year in the NHL, and didn't have the benefit of going back and developing his game in the SHL.

But sure, even matching a 40 goal, 69 point rookie season would make this poll a lot more close for me. Season is long, the cold streaks will undoubtedly strike the great EP as well.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
you know Pettersson is in his D+2 year right?

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Yes he's had a good 9 games, unfortunately that doesn't make him a better player than AM, or somehow makes his potential higher, sorry.

Matthews played his D+1 year in the NHL, and didn't have the benefit of going back and developing his game in the SHL.

But sure, even matching a 40 goal, 69 point rookie season would make this poll a lot more close for me. Season is long, the cold streaks will undoubtedly strike the great EP as well.
Development is non-linear. Matthews was a 1st overall pick so if he didn't play in the NHL right away it would probably reflect poorly on the leafs, since most if not all 1st overall picks play right away. But yeah sure, Pettersson has only played 9 games, but hes tracking insanely well. Don't use the sample size argument because then you'd have to apply to Matthews D+2 season where he was "on pace" for ppg.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Development is non-linear. Matthews was a 1st overall pick so if he didn't play in the NHL right away it would probably reflect poorly on the leafs, since most if not all 1st overall picks play right away. But yeah sure, Pettersson has only played 9 games, but hes tracking insanely well. Don't use the sample size argument because then you'd have to apply to Matthews D+2 season where he was "on pace" for ppg.

Quite the difference in a sample size with 62 games compared to 9......

Also considering Matthews had an even better stat line @ 9 games, and also had two other great seasons to go with it..

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Quite the difference in a sample size with 62 games compared to 9......

Also considering Matthews had an even better stat line @ 9 games, and also had two other great seasons to go with it..
Regardless they aren't full seasons, they are but sample sizes. Anyone who watches either of these players can recognize their franchise potential, and if one can't then one probably doesn't understand hockey quite that much.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Regardless they aren't full seasons, they are but sample sizes. Anyone who watches either of these players can recognize their franchise potential, and if one can't then one probably doesn't understand hockey quite that much.
Right and I have recognized EP's talents.

I just don't think it's outlandish to wait until he's played a little more to wedge him with players of Matthews and Eichels ilk, who have proven it over a sample sizes 10x as large.

A full NHL season is a grind, look at Laine -- he was PPG his rookie year for the majority of it until the last 20 or so games, where he dropped way behind, the season is long especially for players coming from the other side of the pond.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I just don't think it's outlandish to wait until he's played a little more to wedge him with players of Matthews and Eichels ilk, who have proven it over a sample sizes 10x as large.

A full NHL season is a grind, look at Laine -- he was PPG his rookie year for the majority of it until the last 20 or so games, where he dropped way behind, the season is long especially for players coming from the other side of the pond.
I don’t think it’s outlandish to wait as well.
Some rookies drop off with the grind and others like Barzal get even better. We will have to see.
I expect that EP will end up the season as better than a PPG but until he does it no one can be sure.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC

I hope you don't think Im trying to downplay Matthews as a player. Im a diehard Canucks fan and Matthews is one of my favourite players in the NHL. By comparing him and Pettersson Im only trying to bring Pettersson up and not Matthews down. But I agree that Pettersson needs more games, just from the stat and eye test I don't foresee him slowing down that much at all.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don’t think it’s outlandish to wait as well.
Some rookies drop off with the grind and others like Barzal get even better. We will have to see.
I expect that EP will end up the season as better than a PPG but until he does it no one can be sure.
Honestly would be interested in a Barzal/EP poll, not gonna make it because I'll be labeled as a salty Leaf fan or something, but would be interesting to see who comes out ahead.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Honestly would be interested in a Barzal/EP poll, not gonna make it because I'll be labeled as a salty Leaf fan or something, but would be interesting to see who comes out ahead.
There was one a few weeks ago and Barzal won it.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Laine was also injured in the middle of a hot streak.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Matthews will regress because of poor tap water
Pettersson tracks to be a Norse god with our godly tap water

He will be killing and making boats out of things before you know it

Last edited:
Reactions: sexydonut

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The results are much closer than they should be. Classic HFBoards :facepalm:

:yo:

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I cant believe people are asking how Matthews is not winning. Have any of u seen the 2 play or do u just listen to Leafs fans about Matthews? Matthews doesnt drive play hes a floater centre who gets garbage goals whereas Pettersson is an elite line driver. I dont even like the Canucks but if anyone has watched both its obvious who is better. Matthews is not as dynamic as Pettersson

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I keep seeing posts about Leafs fans “melting down”, but most seem to be having a chuckle at this thread. The rest of Canada’s inferiority complex is shining hard ITT.

Reactions: Max Money
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad