Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
His shooting percentage is high because he’s an efficient shooter and if he doesn’t have a clear shot he uses his insane playmaker abilities.
nope, it's high because he's extremely lucky. nobody maintains a shooting percentage near 40% for any meaningful sample. I think Pettersson is extremely talented, but there's no use pretending his production is sustainable at this point

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
But you know what Pettersson will hit?

More points in his rookie season than Matthews

Since you know the future, give me those powerball numbers? Can get injured or go on a cold streak easily lol

Here’s a newsflash for ya to...almost 50 players are at PPG...look at Matthews rookie year, it was no where close. Every day it seems someone is getting blown out by 5 or 6 goals.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
nope, it's high because he's extremely lucky. nobody maintains a shooting percentage near 40% for any meaningful sample. I think Pettersson is extremely talented, but there's no use pretending his production is sustainable at this point

You are right that his shooting % has to come down. That doesn't necessarily mean he will score less goals though, if he gets more opportunities for shots.

It's also worth noting that close to half of his goals come from breakaways. He's scored on pretty much every breakaway which has bumped up his shooting %.

Reactions: sexydonut

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL. As if his passing, puck handling and one timers are all a product of luck. Factor in his SHL statistics as luck too.

Reactions: vcanuck

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Since you know the future, give me those powerball numbers? Can can get injured or go on a cold streak easily lol

he doesn't know the future

i do

Powerball # is.. get your pen ready

82 40 29 69 2

PowerballPlaySlip100415L.gif

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
if you think he's get close to 130 points this year, more power to you. I think you'll be disappointed though

I trust leafs fans on this.

They were predicting 95-100 points for Matthews last season but injuries happened and that's where the proverbial 70 point wall came to be

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
for the record i dont think he's generational..... yet :naughty:

ill settle for 'superstar' for now. :sarcasm:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
His shooting percentage is high because he’s an efficient shooter and if he doesn’t have a clear shot he uses his insane playmaker abilities.
Uh huh. Only 1 player in the last 10 years has scored 20+ goals with a shooting percentage over 25%, and it was Mike Riberio. Only 14 other guys have scored 20+ with a shooting percentage over 20% in that same time, and Stamkos is the only superstar among them.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
137 point pace for a rookie that has only played on big ice surface and isn't physically mature is insane

stands to reason why his shooting % at 39.1. People are just projecting his potential, not saying he'll shoot anywhere near 20%

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Matthews is the better player as of now because he's more proven.

With that said, I do believe EP will the better player in the long run, hence I voted for him. He's tracking to have the better rookie season playing with less support, worser team in general.

I would not trade EP for AM.

Some notes:

-When you watch him play, you can see how this kid is very talented where his points, he is accumulating are based on his skills to the game. He's not lucky or is one some "hot streak" which is what some uneducated people would say. Sure his shooting percentage will go down, but that will be compensated as he will garner a lot more assists. His career projectory will likely put him over PPG provided he has Boeser and Hughes on the back end for the years to go.

-Kid has a elite shot, elite playmaking, very high IQ, he can do it all. He can score from any area. I'd say he's more skilled than Matthews.

-Matthews has the benefit of playing with better linemates as a whole, a better offensive team, and has some offensive support in the back end. Petterson doesn't.
-Pettersson was saddled with Derrik Pouliot on the back end during the PP, and regular linemates were generally Eriksson and Goldobin. A third line slow defensive forward and a unproven 23 yr old Russian's who's best career points in total are of a measly 14.

14 of Pettersson's 15 points are primary. Let that sink in. He's doing it on a offensively starving team, playing only 9 games so far.

-He's already the team's best player playing just 9 games in.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Uh huh. Only 1 player in the last 10 years has scored 20+ goals with a shooting percentage over 25%, and it was Mike Riberio. Only 14 other guys have scored 20+ with a shooting percentage over 20% in that same time, and Stamkos is the only superstar among them.

Are you trying to be objective or are you upset at Hischier losing to EP in polls?

Kind of curious here.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Are you trying to be objective or are you upset at Hischier losing to EP in polls?

Kind of curious here.
I'm not upset about any poll result. Anyone that emotionally invested in an HF poll has serious problems.

I'm not exactly surprised that these are the kind of responses you get to statistics being posted though. Pretty typical level of conversion on this site.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I'm not upset about any poll result. Anyone that emotionally invested in an HF poll has serious problems.

Just checking here, because there are some sad people who judge a player negatively all because he beat their favourite player in a poll at another thread.

Instead of being reliant on statistics, trying use the eye test as well and have the ability to understand his circumstances and the level of players he plays with on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'd be shocked if anyone picks EP over Matthews after two years.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
LOL oh look YET ANOTHER poll in which a player with significantly less experience and proven production winning over a Leafs player. Zzzz classic HFBoards.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad