• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think you understand how bad Hyman is offensively. Hyman is literally THE WORST IN THE NHL at converting high danger chances. You can even rewatch clips from two years ago and last year. Teams don't both with Hyman. They just double down on covering Matthews-Nylander. And if you think the linemate argument holds water, then explain why Matthews is over PPG without Nylander? Powerplay is effective, but it doesn't explain the difference from 1 PPG to 1.6 PPG.
Hyman is poor offensively but he’s a good player at digging out the puck and he’s reliable defensively. He helps free up Matthews and Nylander.
As for why Matthews PPG has gone up without analyzing the numbers I’d assume it’s mostky due to the PP but I could be wrong.
In any event he’s played most of his young career with a pretty good offensive winger in Nylander. For the most part EP hasn’t had that luxury. Last night was his first game with Boeser mainly because of line juggling for injuries. Hopefully it’s not his last.
Anyways I’m not trying to diminish what a great player Matthews is. I just feel EP has had to work with less skilled players so far, albeit in a 9 game sample size.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Okay my apologies. Sorry the point I’m trying to make is that they’re both franchise centres, Matthews has the more proven resume, but Pettersson has he skillset and Potential to be the better player in the long run.
You're saying this based off what? The Jersey he wears?

You've clearly haven't spent a lot of time watching Matthews, he's also quite good and has been since entering the league right after his draft year, while Pettersson had to have a year.

Also these injury takes are hilarious since Pettersson receieved a concussion like 6 games into his first year.

EP is great, and I do think if he keeps it up the deserves to be in the conversation with Eichel and Matthews, but man, it's been 10 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman is poor offensively but he’s a good player at digging out the puck and he’s reliable defensively. He helps free up Matthews and Nylander.
As for why Matthews PPG has gone up without analyzing the numbers I’d assume it’s mostky due to the PP but I could be wrong.
In any event he’s played most of his young career with a pretty good offensive winger in Nylander. For the most part EP hasn’t had that luxury. Last night was his first game with Boeser mainly because of line juggling for injuries. Hopefully it’s not his last.
Anyways I’m not trying to diminish what a great player Matthews is. I just feel EP has had to work with less skilled players so far, albeit in a 9 game sample size.

Spoken like someone who doesn't/hasn't watched the Leafs. Hyman loses the puck far more than he wins it when he tries to dig it out. He doesn't free out anyone considering he's such a liability offensively that teams just double coverage his other linemates. It's fine if you guys don't realize, but some people are acting like it's a horrible notion that a guy who scored 40 goals in his rookie year with two other rookies is not expected to be better than someone who didn't even make it to the NHL in his post draft year (not a slight, just the truth).

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You're saying this based off what? The Jersey he wears?

You've clearly haven't spent a lot of time watching Matthews, he's also quite good and has been since entering the league right after his draft year, while Pettersson had to have a year.

Also these injury takes are hilarious since Pettersson receieved a concussion like 6 games into his first year.
I’ve watched every leafs game this season and a lot last season, (apparently my brain forgets that Matthews didn’t play with Marner). I’ve stated that Matthews is a franchise player I’m not diminishing anything he’s done. I take him in my hockey pool every season because he’s proved that. I’m just saying that I believe Pettersson is better that’s all. Nothing wrong with that opinion. We’re comparing two franchise players here.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

11 ES points 5 PP this season. That was all in the first 7 games.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Creating space? Don't you mean skating the puck in to the corner because his hands are so bad, tying himself up there and losing the puck? Again, I love his relentless hustle, but he lacks so much high end skill that it's pitifully hilarious watching him bring down elite players by being so offensively inept.
I know the very heavy consensus on an online forum would think otherwise, and really not understand, but he hasn’t and doesn’t spend two years on top lines because the lifelong hockey coach doesn’t or can’t realize he had a negative impact on his line mates.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I’ve watched every leafs game this season and a lot last season, (apparently my brain forgets that Matthews didn’t play with Marner). I’ve stated that Matthews is a franchise player I’m not diminishing anything he’s done. I take him in my hockey pool every season because he’s proved that. I’m just saying that I believe Pettersson is better that’s all. Nothing wrong with that opinion. We’re comparing two franchise players here.
We're comparing a player who's proven to be a franchise player over two seasons + 10 games, and a player who's played 10 games. Quite the difference. I don't agree that EP has the higher potential, shiny new toy syndrome is all.

It's been well known that Matthews hasn't seen any time with Marner until this year, if you travel to the Leaf board that's been a huge discussion since his rookie year. I'm surprised you didn't know that if you truely have watched Matthews as much as you say.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What in the world has Petterson shown to prove he even has 5% of the talent that Matthews does? He's played 9 games in the NHL lol
I mean, it does take incredible talent to score 15 points and 9 goals in 9 NHL games, especially the first 9 games of an NHL career.

And it's not like he came out of nowhere. The kid set records in the SEL as an 18 year-old.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I watch Matthews all the time. I just had a brain freeze there. They’re both franchise players. Pettersson has more skill.

This is purely subjective.

Matthews is clearly the better goal scorer, and better in tight and along the wall.

I would say Pettersson is the better passer and has better IQ.

More skill? No.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I remember even crunching the numbers from his rookie season and even last year. @zeke posted the stats straight from one of those adv stats websites. McDavid, Matthews, Hyman. The three leaders in HDCF. Matthews set up Hyman for like over 50 HD chances (don't remember the exact number), and Hyman converted on only seven percent of them. If he was even league average (which is 22 percent), Matthews would have been PPG in his rookie season. I love Hyman's work ethic, but he seriously has no business being anywhere near any team's top players or lines. Fully blame this one on Babcock.
This type of analysis is one of the best examples I have seen that illustrate how stats and numbers are a great tool in aiding player valuations and scouting, but without fully understanding or knowing what’s going on the ice, theyre easily misinterpreted.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
We're comparing a player who's proven to be a franchise player over two seasons + 10 games, and a player who's played 10 games. Quite the difference. I don't agree that EP has the higher potential, shiny new toy syndrome is all.

It's been well known that Matthews hasn't seen any time with Marner until this year, if you travel to the Leaf board that's been a huge discussion since his rookie year. I'm surprised you didn't know that if you truely have watched Matthews as much as you say.
It’s not just 10 games or shiny new toy syndrome. Pettersson was a top 5 pick who absolutely tore up the SHL last year and broke multiple records. He just didn’t come out of nowhere. Pettersson is playing at 2 points per game with an absolute trainwreck of a team. We have 3 good offensive players. Horvat has to play with Schaller and Motte last night. That’s how bad we are. Pettersson makes passes that are impossible and his shot is just as good as Matthews. Why can’t you just accept that not everybody is obsessed with Matthews and can have an opinion that another player is better?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Spoken like someone who doesn't/hasn't watched the Leafs. Hyman loses the puck far more than he wins it when he tries to dig it out. He doesn't free out anyone considering he's such a liability offensively that teams just double coverage his other linemates. It's fine if you guys don't realize, but some people are acting like it's a horrible notion that a guy who scored 40 goals in his rookie year with two other rookies is not expected to be better than someone who didn't even make it to the NHL in his post draft year (not a slight, just the truth).
You’re engaging in a little hyperbole on Hyman. And of course ignoring Nylander. I think most would agree that Matthews is in a better position with linemates than EP. I mean the Leafs had 4 of the top 10 scorers when Matthews went down. He plays with Marner, JT and Reilly on the PP. EP is way ahead of the next closest Canuck in points with a much lower games played total. He had less to work with.

As for who will be better, Matthews best season is a PPG in a shortened season. It’s certainly a very solid second season and puts him in the mix with a few others for the third best young forward going forward. I expect EP to do better than that in his rookie season. I think that’s pretty reasonable. It’s also reasonable to expect him to end up better than Matthews. As is the counter view. It’s not like anyone’s comparing him to McDavid.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Matthews is clearly the better goal scorer, and better in tight and along the wall.

I would say Pettersson is the better passer and has better IQ.

More skill? No.
That’s also massively objective. I’d argue that Pettersson is better in right and a better goal scorer. That have very similar shots. Pettersson is doing this at 170 pounds as well. Wait until he puts on weight...

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
That’s also massively objective. I’d argue that Pettersson is better in right and a better goal scorer. That have very similar shots. Pettersson is doing this at 170 pounds as well. Wait until he puts on weight...
I don't think many non-canucks fans would agree with you here. Matthews is absolutely dominate in tight and along the boards, no one can take the puck against him. It's one of his best assets and he's one of the best on the league at it. Same with goal scoring where Matthews is not only one of the best at it since coming into the league but one of the best 5v5 scorers.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Right agree to disagree then.

Let's see if EP can hit 40 goals this year and go PPG+ like Matthews was tracking too in his D+2 year. Until then it's shiny new toy syndrome and the fact he's winning this poll after 9 games proves it.

Honestly I hope he does, he's been a saving grace for my fantasy team, and the Canucks deserve some luck.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't think many non-canucks fans would agree with you here. Matthews is absolutely dominate in tight and along the boards, no one can take the puck against him. It's one of his best assets and he's one of the best on the league at it. Same with goal scoring where Matthews is not only one of the best at it since coming into the league but one of the best 5v5 scorers.
Matthews is definitely better along the boards. In right though, Pettersson makes insane plays.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Right agree to disagree then.

Let's see if EP can hit 40 goals this year and go PPG+ like Matthews was tracking too in his D+2 year. Until then it's shiny new toy syndrome and the fact he's winning this poll after 9 games proves it.

Honestly I hope he does, he's been a saving grace for my fantasy team, and the Canucks deserve some luck.
Agree let’s wait and see. Disagree about shiny new toy syndrome. He’s been impressive for awhile now.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not "purely subjective". It's possible for a player to have more skill than another. Purely subjective would be "I prefer the way this player plays".

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It's not "purely subjective". It's possible for a player to have more skill than another. Purely subjective would be "I prefer the way this player plays".

It's a point that isn't a fact and can definitely be argued was my point. He would say EP has more skill because he's a homer, and I would say Matthews does because I'm a homer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad