Auston Matthews vs. Elias Pettersson

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They did up until this season. And they still do on the Powerplay which is the best powerplay in the league personnel wise. I’m just saying if Matthews wasn’t on the Leafs, he wouldn’t be getting even close to this amount of hype.
Matthews gets so much hype and exposure you don't even know who he plays with

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
They did up until this season. And they still do on the Powerplay which is the best powerplay in the league personnel wise. I’m just saying if Matthews wasn’t on the Leafs, he wouldn’t be getting even close to this amount of hype.

Matthews and Marner have never played on the same line save for some random situations after a PP where they got stuck on the ice together. The powerplay argument holds merit, yes, but most of the game is played at even strength. That is the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I disagree. Pettersson has been doing this with worse linemates(Until Boeser finally got put on his line) than Matthews who has Marner who’s one of the best possession players in the league. Matthews has the resume, Pettersson will be the better player and is more skilled. Just my opinion

Hate to be a dick, but your opinion is kind of thrown out the window when you said Matthews gets to play with Marner.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well then your opinion is invalid considering that Marner and Matthews don't even play on the same line. Marner plays with Tavares. Matthews has played with Marleau and Kapanen (and Marleau has looked worse than Hyman this year). The linemate argument doesn't hold any value considering Matthews was PPG last year hauling around Hyman, who had the worst conversion on high danger chances in the league and has 0 goals in 13 games playing with Tavares and Marner.

Wow, I didn't even realize Hyman hasn't scored yet. I guess it's no wonder that outside of one game Tavares has 2 assists, plus Nylander only scored 20 last year in a full season. I'm surprised Matthews got 29 assists in 62 games while still scoring 34 himself. I thought he was just a bad playmaker or something.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Matthews and Marner have never played on the same line save for some random situations after a PP where they got stuck on the ice together. The powerplay argument holds merit, yes, but most of the game is played at even strength. That is the point I was trying to make.
And that’s fair. Just my opinion that he’s better.

Hate to be a dick, but your opinion is kind of thrown out the window when you said Matthews gets to play with Marner.
I’ve repeatedly said LAST year. This year he’s played with a combination of Marleau, Kapanen and Ennis and has done very well. Playing on a stacked PP also helps.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The linemate argument holds water as Matthews played with Nylander last year and the year before and people are arguing a 150 game size. This year Matthews has been getting more power play time and points and has played with Marner and Tavares on the PP.

I don't think you understand how bad Hyman is offensively. Hyman is literally THE WORST IN THE NHL at converting high danger chances. You can even rewatch clips from two years ago and last year. Teams don't both with Hyman. They just double down on covering Matthews-Nylander. And if you think the linemate argument holds water, then explain why Matthews is over PPG without Nylander? Powerplay is effective, but it doesn't explain the difference from 1 PPG to 1.6 PPG.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
And that’s fair. Just my opinion that he’s better.

I’ve repeatedly said LAST year. This year he’s played with a combination of Marleau, Kapanen and Ennis and has done very well. Playing on a stacked PP also helps.

Right, you're still wrong.

This season is the only season he's seen time with Marner, and that's on the PP.

Previous years its been Nylander/Hyman with an occasional Brown.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
McDavid = Bure with even better hands and elite playmaking skills
EP = Datsyuk with elite snipe and Gretzkyesque IQ
Matthews = Thornton with better speed and elite shot
MacKinnon = Upgraded Canadien version of Kovalchuck

Yikes, Matthews is far from having Thorntonesque playmaking.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I’ve repeatedly said last year he played with Marner. Read.

And we're repeatedly trying to correct your incorrect assumptions. Read.

They don't play together 5v5 and never have. They've only played together on the PP starting this year, so like 11 games out of his entire career.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don't think you understand how bad Hyman is offensively. Hyman is literally THE WORST IN THE NHL at converting high danger chances. You can even rewatch clips from two years ago and last year. Teams don't both with Hyman. They just double down on covering Matthews-Nylander. And if you think the linemate argument holds water, then explain why Matthews is over PPG without Nylander? Powerplay is effective, but it doesn't explain the difference from 1 PPG to 1.6 PPG.
How good is he at creating space for his line mates and how conscientious is he at back checking to allow his line mates to focus on offense?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Right, you're still wrong.

This season is the only season he's seen time with Marner, and that's on the PP.

Previous years its been Nylander/Hyman with an occasional Brown.
Okay my apologies. Sorry the point I’m trying to make is that they’re both franchise centres, Matthews has the more proven resume, but Pettersson has he skillset and Potential to be the better player in the long run.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, I didn't even realize Hyman hasn't scored yet. I guess it's no wonder that outside of one game Tavares has 2 assists, plus Nylander only scored 20 last year in a full season. It's a wonder Matthews got 29 assists in 62 games while still scoring 34 himself. I thought he was just a bad playmaker or something.

I remember even crunching the numbers from his rookie season and even last year. @zeke posted the stats straight from one of those adv stats websites. McDavid, Matthews, Hyman. The three leaders in HDCF. Matthews set up Hyman for like over 50 HD chances (don't remember the exact number), and Hyman converted on only seven percent of them. If he was even league average (which is 22 percent), Matthews would have been PPG in his rookie season. I love Hyman's work ethic, but he seriously has no business being anywhere near any team's top players or lines. Fully blame this one on Babcock.

Reactions: authentic

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He never played with Marner last year? He played with Nylander and Hyman a ton, but also got time with Marner.
How much time? Do you have a percentage? Unless it's significant, you're still wrong since your claim was based on Matthews benefiting from playing specifically with Marner.

I disagree. Pettersson has been doing this with worse linemates(Until Boeser finally got put on his line) than Matthews who has Marner who’s one of the best possession players in the league. Matthews has the resume, Pettersson will be the better player and is more skilled. Just my opinion

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
How good is he at creating space for his line mates and how conscientious is he at back checking to allow his line mates to focus on offense?

Creating space? Don't you mean skating the puck in to the corner because his hands are so bad, tying himself up there and losing the puck? Again, I love his relentless hustle, but he lacks so much high end skill that it's pitifully hilarious watching him bring down elite players by being so offensively inept.

Reactions: authentic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad