Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Was not expecting him to be this good of a goal scorer off the bat. His curl and drag is bonkers.

So freaking happy he's a Leaf.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Just watching the game now. I love listening to hughson cry softly after each goal. My favorite part. At the start of the 3rd period
Hughson says

“Matthews hasn’t done much in his first game back”. Annnnnd then 2 goals

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Nylander and Matthews are a great fit. But you're right. Not the BEST fit
I hate how it’s not. The 2 are made for each other.

Why pad Willy’s stats in a contract year if we want him to play C?

I dont see the 2 as the best fit myself.

Matthews-Marner 1st line...
2nd line
Nylander and Kapanen (when he joins the line up) they would leave everyone in the dust...gonna look like Team North America.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
His charachter and work ethic I think are the most impressive aspects.

I mean this guy is in the conversation with McDavid. Last night we get a PP, a fresh second unit with Matthews comes on. They play 35 seconds, whistle, boom out comes the #1 unit.

Some young stars would definitely be set off by that but with Matthews you get the sense he's not even fazed.

Just one of those players that will do anything the coach asks and is always setting an amazing example with how hard and consistent he plays.

Reminds me alot of Tim Duncan with the Spurs.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
That second goal by Matthews was amazing. He didn't take a single stride past the red line but just stick handled like a G and then sniped it (granted it was against Niemi lol).
Even his first goal highlighted to me his finishing ability. Most players can't finish those plays as consistently as our auston can.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
His charachter and work ethic I think are the most impressive aspects.

I mean this guy is in the conversation with McDavid. Last night we get a PP, a fresh second unit with Matthews comes on. They play 35 seconds, whistle, boom out comes the #1 unit.

Some young stars would definitely be set off by that but with Matthews you get the sense he's not even fazed.

Just one of those players that will do anything the coach asks and is always setting an amazing example with how hard and consistent he plays.

Reminds me alot of Tim Duncan with the Spurs.
yeah his character is unreal. his first game is the perfect example of how he is as a person. He scored 4 goals and he still felt like he let the team down. So happy we have him

Reactions: The Cobra

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I hate how it’s not. The 2 are made for each other.

Why pad Willy’s stats in a contract year if we want him to play C?

I dont see the 2 as the best fit myself.

Centers make more than wingers.

Nylander wont see the center position until he signs a wingers contract long term.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Nylander wont see the center position until he signs a wingers contract long term.
Yeah Nylander is going to sign his contract this summer and will take Bozak's spot at C.
Matthews - Nylander - Kadri - Gauthier is the best center depth in the league.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Not if he scores 20 more points on the wing than C. Kessel made more than bozak.

Also. Weren’t you someone whom I disagreed with about the cap jumping up this year? If so mirtle is saying 82 million. So looks like you will be right on that one

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah Nylander is going to sign his contract this summer and will take Bozak's spot at C.
Matthews - Nylander - Kadri - Gauthier is the best center depth in the league.

That has always been my assumption and hope. But he has seemed really reluctant to try him there this year. Seems like a big jump from a “not at all” to 2nd line C in a year. I would like willy to get reps at C in times of injury

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Not if he scores 20 more points on the wing than C. Kessel made more than bozak.

Also. Weren’t you someone whom I disagreed with about the cap jumping up this year? If so mirtle is saying 82 million. So looks like you will be right on that one

Kessel vs Bozak?

Compare Nylander scoring the same points at center vs Nylander at wing....

Apples to apples.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Kessel vs Bozak?

Compare Nylander scoring the same points at center vs Nylander at wing....

Apples to apples.

But nylander playing on the wing with Matthews is not the same as playing center without him on the second line.

Matthews will more than likely inflate his points. And potentially his salary.

Also. I’m not sure about that? Does Monahan make more than Gaudreau? I don’t think that it is as simple as wingers make less money than C

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it's matty's 100th game as a leaf tomorrow.
may he celebrate like behaving like he did in the first of his career

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Seriously, this guy is going to win the Hart, Lindsey, Rocket, Selke and maybe the Ross in his career. He currently leads the league in ES P/60 among all players with more than 10 GP. If his PP unit was better he would probable have a P/GP similar to Gaudreau.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
But nylander playing on the wing with Matthews is not the same as playing center without him on the second line.

Matthews will more than likely inflate his points. And potentially his salary.

Also. I’m not sure about that? Does Monahan make more than Gaudreau? I don’t think that it is as simple as wingers make less money than C

Centers typically make more than wingers. They have a greater responsibility. When Nylander sits at a table his comparables will be to that of a winger vs a center.

Their are outliers of course but that won't matter much here. Unless Nylander takes off though, his numbers are pretty flat this year. He should have signed in the summer.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Anyone know if that I am Auston documentary will be on YouTube (does content like that usually get there I suppose I'm asking)

I really want to see it but obviously given the time difference won't be staying up for it.

Thanks

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Anyone know if that I am Auston documentary will be on YouTube (does content like that usually get there I suppose I'm asking)

I really want to see it but obviously given the time difference won't be staying up for it.

Thanks

It's possible. It's only supposed to be about 20-25 min, and Sportsnet tends to upload a lot of videos to Youtube.

I don't have an answer, but oh man am I excited to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad