Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's a lot closer when you also look at the ice time difference between McDavid and Matthews. I had the data at one point but I have to dig it up again but I believe McDavid played 200+ minutes in total in his first 100 games.

Lets say that Matthews gets one point per 20 mins of gameplay (reasonable consider he's on a .9 PPG pace per game) that is 10 more points. So the difference if you look at ice time is around ~10 points at best.

I'd rather have Matthews for this team. He's just too dominant on ES and that's where most of the game is played.
I think I'm at the point where I wouldn't trade Matthews for McDavid anymore. The fear of losing out on him is too much to risk the possible benefit of adding McDavid, even though I personally think McDavid is better

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I think I'm at the point where I wouldn't trade Matthews for McDavid anymore. The fear of losing out on him is too much to risk the possible benefit of adding McDavid, even though I personally think McDavid is better
I don't think there's a reason to even consider it at this point. He's such as unique package as a player, like a 1C that was made in a lab to excel in the modern NHL. Doubly so in the playoffs. No one can provide what he does at both ends of the ice, and he's only 20.

Reactions: The Cobra and 7even

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think there's a reason to even consider it at this point. He's such as unique package as a player, like a 1C that was made in a lab to excel in the modern NHL. Doubly so in the playoffs. No one can provide what he does at both ends of the ice, and he's only 20.
yep. Matthews reminds me of Toews with comparable offense to Ovechkin

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Let me try this again. Matthews and Marner have played about 5 minutes together. In that time, they've scored three goals, two that counted (all three should have). You have to wonder: How productive would they be if they were together all the time?
— steve simmons (@simmonssteve) November 21, 2017

f*** you, Simmons. Nobody likes you.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think the 1 year age/contract difference is enough for me to say no to Matthews <-> McDavid

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
They are born in the same year and what do u think Auston will make?
Talking about us having Matthews for 1 more year on his ELC than McDavid. Thus, his 2nd contract will end 1 year after McDavid's does. And likely gets under McDavid's 12.5M, as Katz gave McDavid a blank cheque while Lou negotiates everything. And Matthews hasn't received the 'best player in the league' hype that McDavid had, however true it was.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Talking about us having Matthews for 1 more year on his ELC than McDavid. Thus, his 2nd contract will end 1 year after McDavid's does. And likely gets under McDavid's 12.5M, as Katz gave McDavid a blank cheque while Lou negotiates everything.

Eichel screwed us. If he is top 3 in goals. He gets anything he wants up to mcdavid level. If he stays around 5-10 goals and 10-20 in points may bet is around 10 million.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Eichel screwed us. If he is top 3 in goals. He gets anything he wants up to mcdavid level. If he stays around 5-10 goals and 10-20 in points may bet is around 10 million.
The Sabres were between a rock and a hard spot with Eichel.

You either pony up or let him bet on himself. Eichel certainly has his issues, but I can understand why the Sabres management were scared of letting a player with Eichel's offensive skillset bet on himself.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I wonder how much the Oilers and Sabres + Eichel's struggles will play into Matthew's contract negotiation.

It's a hard sell to say it's directly due to the contracts signed but it will certainly highlight that (a) it's hard to build a deep team around 12.5 mil and (b) any individual struggles you have will be highlighted x10.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wonder how much the Oilers and Sabres + Eichel's struggles will play into Matthew's contract negotiation.

It's a hard sell to say it's directly due to the contracts signed but it will certainly highlight that (a) it's hard to build a deep team around 12.5 mil and (b) any individual struggles you have will be highlighted x10.

well i've said this for a while.
Matthews agent is Malkin/Crosby's agent - those two players at the time didn't go for the HUGE years (both only signed for 5) and took say 8.5 or whatever in years. Now you have to make that work with today's dollars but i think Matty could decide to do a smaller deal (then cash in) OR take the years and take a teeny less. He easily may not and that's his prerogative and I wouldn't blame him. I have always said, while the players should make their due.. they should take into consideration the other aspects of stuff.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well i've said this for a while.
Matthews agent is Malkin/Crosby's agent - those two players at the time didn't go for the HUGE years (both only signed for 5) and took say 8.5 or whatever in years. Now you have to make that work with today's dollars but i think Matty could decide to do a smaller deal (then cash in) OR take the years and take a teeny less. He easily may not and that's his prerogative and I wouldn't blame him. I have always said, while the players should make their due.. they should take into consideration the other aspects of stuff.

at the time of signing Crosby's contract was the same % of cap as McDavids is now. I will have to try and find where i read that

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
What are you talking about.. Crosby signed 8.7M *12 years and Malkin signed 9.5M * 8 years.. no one signed for 5 years

Sidney Crosby - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
upload_2017-11-22_10-25-27.png

Evgeni Malkin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
upload_2017-11-22_10-26-19.png

as I said.
Malkin and Crosby's were first five years then they signed the big year contracts. they have the same agent as Matthews so he could sign the same type of deal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sidney Crosby - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
View attachment 84417

Evgeni Malkin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
View attachment 84419

as I said.
Malkin and Crosby's were first five years then they signed the big year contracts. they have the same agent as Matthews so he could sign the same type of deal.

we would be insane not to sign him for 8 yrs, in 5 years time he will be in his prime and very possibly be a 50g 100p player that player is signing a monster of a contract.

Very important thing to think about is apparently the next lockout "the hill" the owners die on is contract length, we need to take advantage of 8 yrs while its still a possibility. siging him @ 8yrs gets us to the 2026/27 season if the lockout succeeds in 5 yr deals we then sign him to a 5 yr deal after that.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
we would be insane not to sign him for 8 yrs, in 5 years time he will be in his prime and very possibly be a 50g 100p player that player is signing a monster of a contract.

Very important thing to think about is apparently the next lockout "the hill" the owners die on is contract length, we need to take advantage of 8 yrs while its still a possibility. siging him @ 8yrs gets us to the 2026/27 season if the lockout succeeds in 5 yr deals we then sign him to a 5 yr deal after that.

see. people keep saying that. but signing contracts are a two way street. If Lou goes eight and Matty goes 5, what is Lou supposed to do? go No you're signing eight?

please note I am not saying I don't want to sign him for eight years. Just that when Matty's agent, is Crosby's and Malkin's agent and those two didn't sign for max years out of ELC. it stands to reason that Matthews may not either.

now I don't know why they didn't. i don't remember the circumstances around the Pens at that time. I just remember that people were surprised that they signed for that little basically triggering early UFA, like Tavares + Stamkos) - but both of them didn't, they signed their MEGA deals for the same dollars when they were eligible.

it could be something that happens, and we should mentally be prepared for it. the chances of it happening probably 2 percent or less, but it is something to consider.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
see. people keep saying that. but signing contracts are a two way street. If Lou goes eight and Matty goes 5, what is Lou supposed to do? go No you're signing eight?

please note I am not saying I don't want to sign him for eight years. Just that when Matty's agent, is Crosby's and Malkin's agent and those two didn't sign for max years out of ELC. it stands to reason that Matthews may not either.

now I don't know why they didn't. i don't remember the circumstances around the Pens at that time. I just remember that people were surprised that they signed for that little basically triggering early UFA, like Tavares + Stamkos) - but both of them didn't, they signed their MEGA deals for the same dollars when they were eligible.

it could be something that happens, and we should mentally be prepared for it. the chances of it happening probably 2 percent or less, but it is something to consider.

oh of course if Matthews doesn't want to sign for 8 cant force him.

I am not looking forward to the media mayhem if he signs for 6 or less "clear sign he wants to walk as a UFA" "not committed to the leafs, should trade him ASAP"

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
oh of course if Matthews doesn't want to sign for 8 cant force him.

I am not looking forward to the media mayhem if he signs for 6 or less "clear sign he wants to walk as a UFA" "not committed to the leafs, should trade him ASAP"

yah. he would just be doing the stammer/tavares

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah my bad, realized after the post that Crosby's ELC wouldn't have had him starting his 2nd contract in 2013-2014

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If the salary cap goes to 80M+ next year, give him 12M over 8 years and get it over with as soon as we can.

Penny pinch Marner and Nylander to Ehler's type deal. 24M for all three combined but the disadvantage is that Marner/Nylander would be signed for 6 years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wonder how Nylander-Matthews-Brown would look. Nylander didn't play RW on the Marlies he played LW. Brown and Nylandered playing together down on the Marlies. Both Brown and Nylander have played with Matthews in the NHL, just not all 3 together

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If the salary cap goes to 80M+ next year, give him 12M over 8 years and get it over with as soon as we can.

Penny pinch Marner and Nylander to Ehler's type deal. 24M for all three combined but the disadvantage is that Marner/Nylander would be signed for 6 years.

the way they are playing makes it justifiable. Marner could do the "bet on himself" but i'd take the fair deal anyway.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
the way they are playing makes it justifiable. Marner could do the "bet on himself" but i'd take the fair deal anyway.

Yeah I don't think Nylander or Marner deserve much more than around 6M. I'd give them 6.5-7M for 8 years or 5.5-6M for 6 years.

Matthews can get whatever he asks for...I really think Matthews is going to come at around 11-12M which is more than fair for what he brings to the table.

The magic number should be around 22-26M for all three. 22M would be incredible but unlikely, 26 is also very good but a little on the higher side. I feel 24 is the magic number for the Leafs.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah I don't think Nylander or Marner deserve much more than around 6M. I'd give them 6.5-7M for 8 years or 5.5-6M for 6 years.

Matthews can get whatever he asks for...I really think Matthews is going to come at around 11-12M which is more than fair for what he brings to the table.

The magic number should be around 22-26M for all three. 22M would be incredible but unlikely, 26 is also very good but a little on the higher side. I feel 24 is the magic number for the Leafs.

i think it was you (maybe cor) who felt that 25 might be where it ends up being. i can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad