Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I miss the days when upper/lower body injury didn't exist, only fans of the team should be in "the know" lol. VIP card. Gimme the medical files.

Reactions: Atrusai

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
hearing people calling into Prime Time Sports saying they heard rumors about Auston being traded hurt my head some of our fanbase were dropped as babys

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
hearing people calling into Prime Time Sports saying they heard rumors about Auston being traded hurt my head some of our fanbase were dropped as babys

Can tell you this much, I wouldn't pay 13m a year for him. Its a sad story that the cap will be artificially inflated by Vegas and artificial positive numbers. You know where 10 teams support 21 teams, and the fans of those 10 teams pay the most for tickets etc.

I have 10m for Matthews and that's the max. Toews Kane won 3 freaking cups, Stamkos makes 8.7 and is destroying the league. We pay 12m for Matthews, we have crap for brains. You just don't do it with a likely CBA clawback coming via bad media deals that Rogers lost money on, ones that won't continue.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Can tell you this much, I wouldn't pay 13m a year for him. Its a sad story that the cap will be artificially inflated by Vegas and artificial positive numbers. You know where 10 teams support 21 teams, and the fans of those 10 teams pay the most for tickets etc.

I have 10m for Matthews and that's the max. Toews Kane won 3 freaking cups, Stamkos makes 8.7 and is destroying the league. We pay 12m for Matthews, we have crap for brains. You just don't do it with a likely CBA clawback coming via bad media deals that Rogers lost money on, ones that won't continue.
That's just silly, Bell will step too up next tv contract, I don't expect anything to go down. Networks can't survive without sports, it's all they have left. And Matthews is getting more than 10, so accept it, guy is MVP caliber.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's just silly, Bell will step too up next tv contract, I don't expect anything to go down. Networks can't survive without sports, it's all they have left. And Matthews is getting more than 10, so accept it, guy is MVP caliber.

Networks don't pay to lose money, that's fools logic. I just said that they have been losing money on the investment. Its in the media. You know, RL where actual economics exists, not where you come and post about the endless tireless supply of money that exists in a fantasy construct of your mind.

The only reason Matthews is marked for that money is because EDM and BUF lost their minds and broke the pay scale. So if Matthews is 12m the what is JT, 15m? What would Crosby get 16m?

We just copied another leagues pay for potential fail model if that's the case.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

This team lives and dies on the play of two men, Matthews and Andersen. Pay them.

Don't pay middle people middle money.

Reactions: The Cobra

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We just won 4 or 5 in a row without him. He is not the team, don't be a fool.

Without Matthews our chances for and shots are down, our chances and shots against are up - basically all good metrics are down without him. If it wasn't for Freddy the narrative would be a lot different today.

Reactions: The Cobra and weems

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Without Matthews our chances for and shots are down, our chances and shots against are up - basically all good metrics are down without him. If it wasn't for Freddy the narrative would be a lot different today.

Sample size.

Matthews @ McDavid money
Nylander @ Drai money
Nylander @ 6-7

You do that, this team will look like Edmonton in short order. Guaranteed.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Ya, Nylander at Draisaitl money is silly, but I thought we were talking about Matthews. He won't get McDavid money exactly but he's coming in above Eichel.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017

YEAH!

Let's go back to sucking so we can win the lottery and get our franchise center!

That's what we need.

Reactions: The Cobra

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sample size.

Matthews @ McDavid money
Nylander @ Drai money
Nylander @ 6-7

You do that, this team will look like Edmonton in short order. Guaranteed.
So when we win without Matthews over 4 games, it's proof we don't need him. When it's pointed out that we actually looked terrible over that stretch, it's a small sample size. Seems pretty unreasonable

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
All the promotion dealies that these players can do on the side leads me to think that the exorbitant cap numbers we're predicting won't be as high. It's surprising how we forgot all about this when it was a huge talking point in the Stamkos/Tavares to Toronto fan theories.

After your ridiculous rants, there is zero room for you to be tossing around the word "fool".

How long has Toronto been waiting for their #1 C?

At most he'll be on the ice for 26 minutes. That is less than half the game. I understand having to pay a premium to retain elite talent, but the fact is Toronto still needs to ice team that is cap compliant.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
After your ridiculous rants, there is zero room for you to be tossing around the word "fool".

So because we have waited, we should pay 15m, 16m, sky is the limit right? Just because we have waited is justification enough. I am saying I don't care what McDavid made or Eichel, we are going to pay you based on the metrics that brought you a Toews, Stamkos type deal. There is no way that Matthews should surpass Kopitar $wise, no way at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It would be nice if Bell gave him the same deal Rogers gave McDavid. Given that Toronto/GTA/Golden Horseshoe is a quarter of the country, giving him a big endorsement on par with McDavid is justifiable in the fact he's the most popular athlete in this city. Wouldn't hurt if TD and Sportscheck step up. Only endorsements I know of right now for him are Bauer, and I think he's getting money for being on Pepsi cans.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
So because we have waited, we should pay 15m, 16m, sky is the limit right? Just because we have waited is justification enough. I am saying I don't care what McDavid made or Eichel, we are going to pay you based on the metrics that brought you a Toews, Stamkos type deal. There is no way that Matthews should surpass Kopitar $wise, no way at all.

Where is this 15-16 number coming from? You said you wouldn't pay him a cent over 10, that's ridiculous.

I also don't care what others are making. Pay the man what he's worth, and that's north of 10.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Where is this 15-16 number coming from? You said you wouldn't pay him a cent over 10, that's ridiculous.

I also don't care what others are making. Pay the man what he's worth, and that's north of 10.

You said Toronto has been waiting forever for a 1C. It's true, how high will you go? 12-13-14-15-16 Is there no limit? There has to be a limit and a price on anything in trade. Sometimes it's better to exercise your right as a manager to pay to scale. Right now there are only a few examples of these gross overpays, they are not the norm, YET.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
All the promotion dealies that these players can do on the side leads me to think that the exorbitant cap numbers we're predicting won't be as high. It's surprising how we forgot all about this when it was a huge talking point in the Stamkos/Tavares to Toronto fan theories.

At most he'll be on the ice for 26 minutes. That is less than half the game. I understand having to pay a premium to retain elite talent, but the fact is Toronto still needs to ice team that is cap compliant.

I read somewhere Crosby earns the most in endorsements, comfortably so, and that barely cracks $1M that is the best player in the game and he brings back just over $1M in outside money

edit: this article was a few years ago but it wont have grown exponentially since then even for mcdavid

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He will likely sign for below McDavid and above Eichel..
That's what he deserves and that's what he will get..
The big unknown is what Nylander and Marner will get......the fact that both are having slow starts may or may not affect their deals..

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

So happy I don't see his absurd comments anymore. The text don't even show up in your quotes -- what an amazing new site feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad