Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
What was his shooting percentage and how does it compare to the top 10 pts leaders?

A safe bet seems like something in the realm of a ten point improvement. His assist total is low for a player of his vision and passing ability. It will improve.

I would expect to see him on the PK at some point. He wants to be the best centre in the NHL so I expect that he wants PK time. We'll see if he can handle it.

The other thing is his FO%. It will increase and as it does we will have more scoring chances.

This kid's ceiling is as high as he wants it to be.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
What was his shooting percentage and how does it compare to the top 10 pts leaders?

A safe bet seems like something in the realm of a ten point improvement. His assist total is low for a player of his vision and passing ability. It will improve.

I would expect to see him on the PK at some point. He wants to be the best centre in the NHL so I expect that he wants PK time. We'll see if he can handle it.

The other thing is his FO%. It will increase and as it does we will have more scoring chances.

This kid's ceiling is as high as he wants it to be.

[email protected]% matthews

Top 10 pts leaders, nr of shots @ %

251@ 12.0% (mcdavid)
292@ 11.6% (kane)
255@ 17.3% (crosby)
162@ 14.2% (bäckström)
226@ 17.3% (marchand)
246@ 16.3% (kucherov)
160@ 20.0% (scheifele)
172@ 16.9% (draisatl)
320@ 9.1% (burns)
286@ 13.6% (tarasenko)

So mainly assists keeping him off this list

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Matthews is a top ten talent in the league, IMHO, already. Where he goes from here is up to him.

I feel there has been far, far too much talk about how Hyman's presence on his line has brought down his totals, and nearly NOTHING has been mentioned about Matthews' assist totals being massively hampered by a defence corps that was bottom third in the league (offensively). So much of your secondary offense chances are created by the D . . . and as it has been pointed out, Matthews was such a pure point producer - he basically created almost everything himself, as much as a player can at this level, without getting a lot of assists and goals from just being on a great line or having a great team or great D. But really, I think the key is the defence.

Laine's ppg was greatly affected by a very good offensive defence, and having a premier (better!) player on his line in Scheifele. The effect of that is huge. On the contrary, Matthews had all the defensive responsibilities of a centre, PLUS the offensive DRAG of an anemic defence and overall spotty linemates, save when he played with Nylander (but it's still a fellow rookie).

So what does the future hold?

Well, I think as an exceptionally skilled rookie, his SKILL level continues to improve. He's got incredible drive and passion. He's with a great coach. On a team that might get better and better, presumably. If I am guessing that Toronto addresses its defensive concerns with some acquisitions, and quite possible moves or adds someone to his line to improve overall skill . . . I believe he'll challenge for a 50 goal season, while increasing his assists, relative to the team's upward progression / defensive strength.

I believe he's due for something close to a 50-50 season, and if he doesn't wuite get there next season, he will likely get there next one afterward.

It seems crazy and OVER THE TOP to predict such things in this era . . . but I know you Leaf fans have seen what I've seen. He is . . . the REAL . . . deal.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't know how things will unfold going forward for Matthews, but it's going to be awesome to watch. He is an amazing player already. First year and putting up 40 goals. It's going to be crazy to see how much better he'll get.

Kind of amazing to have this kind of superstar center. Definitely didn't fully grasp what kind of impact he'd have. Sure you get the idea of a "franchise center" going into the draft, but been a while since we had a player who can make that kind of impact.

It's only going to get more fun. Can't wait for this playoff series to start. Will be a key factor for us.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Let's run down the list.

- He's huge, probably gonna max out at 6'4 225ish.
- Badass release.
- Crazy hands.
- Can score from anywhere.
- Underrated vision.
- Compete out the ass.
- Great 200 foot play for his age.

Western conference center playing in the East. The trip is he does remind me of 13, but 13 had old Mogilny and Matthews has Willy, Mitch is whatever he is.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
So excited to see how he performs in the playoffs. For next year, I would love to see him having a McDavid type year (30G 70A) rather than another 40G year. Hopefully we can get a digger on that line that can actually finish. No, I'm not a Hyman hater but it was excruciating seeing plays die on his stick.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wow with Lawless voting Matthews it should be unanimous, but it won't be.

Well Laine's forte is goal scoring and Matthews beat him 40 to 36 on the season.

Had Laine not missed 7 games it might be a much closer battle and vote.

However you want an unbiased voting process even from hometown media.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its been 2 amazing past draft years.

Mcdavid gets 100 points and the Hart, while #2OA Eichel finishes mere fractions out of top 10 in PPG%.

Auston scores 40 goals (something only 15 players in history have now accomplished) and Laine at 18 years old has multiple hattricks and set new record for multiple point games by a teanage and would likely have scored 40 goals also except for injury.

So in back to back drafts delivered 4 franchise level players and Leafs are very fortunate to have Auston one of the best now to lead them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I feel so sorry for Nolan Patrick. it's gonna be like how do you top
McJesus and then
Awesome Matthews?

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
McJesus and then
Awesome Matthews?

NoWin Patrick...:sarcasm:

But yeah, these past 2 drafts have produced some incredible top 2 picks. Going back to past drafts, players taken top 2, I'd maybe take Ekblad over Laine, and MacKinnon/Laine would be close, slight edge to Laine for his shot. Going back to 2010, maybe Seguin vs. Eichel? There's really not many players going back that far who could give these guys a run for their money...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McJesus and then
Awesome Matthews?

Nolan Patrick & Nico Hischier are both great junior players expected to go 1 & 2 in 2017, but they're no where near the level of the past 2 entry drafts.

Leafs went full tank at the right time, and now were rewarded with Matthews and it changed their fortunes forever. If Leafs were picking #1 this year instead the story would be so much different.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Its been 2 amazing past draft years.

Mcdavid gets 100 points and the Hart, while #2OA Eichel finishes mere fractions out of top 10 in PPG%.

Auston scores 40 goals (something only 15 players in history have now accomplished) and Laine at 18 years old has multiple hattricks and set new record for multiple point games by a teanage and would likely have scored 40 goals also except for injury.

So in back to back drafts delivered 4 franchise level players and Leafs are very fortunate to have Auston one of the best now to lead them.

Dont forget matthews ended up 2nd in goalscoring!!! And Laine at 7

In their first year its just nuts and i cant wait to see playoffs leafs this is gonna be lit!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Nolan Patrick & Nico Hischier are both great junior players expected to go 1 & 2 in 2017, but they're no where near the level of the past 2 entry drafts.

Leafs went full tank at the right time, and now were rewarded with Matthews and it changed their fortunes forever. If Leafs were picking #1 this year instead the story would be so much different.

Nevermind the season before Matthews where legit foundation pieces like Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, etc were all sitting there at pick #4 for us.

It's still strange that things have actually gone our way. It felt like an inevitability going into last year's draft that we'd end up picking 4th in a (perceived) 3 player draft. That draft confirmed to me that the Canucks are the new us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nevermind the season before Matthews where legit foundation pieces like Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, etc were all sitting there at pick #4 for us.

It's still strange that things have actually gone our way. It felt like an inevitability going into last year's draft that we'd end up picking 4th in a (perceived) 3 player draft. That draft confirmed to me that the Canucks are the new us.

It's nuts how well the rebuild has worked out to this point. The only thing that you could arguably change is maybe sub out Marner for Werenski, which would give us a bigger, more well rounded core, albeit with less spectacular offense.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's nuts how well the rebuild has worked out to this point. The only thing that you could arguably change is maybe sub out Marner for Werenski, which would give us a bigger, more well rounded core, albeit with less spectacular offense.

That's where Hunter has to come in and find us the next Josi, Subban etc. with a 2nd round pick. We won't be in the lottery again for hopefully a long time(at least with our pick) so drafting remains of utmost importance.

team is definitely missing a top level offensive D. would make the firepower up front all the more effective and add a point shot dimension to our offence.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
That's where Hunter has to come in and find us the next Josi, Subban etc. with a 2nd round pick. We won't be in the lottery again for hopefully a long time(at least with our pick) so drafting remains of utmost importance.

team is definitely missing a top level offensive D. would make the firepower up front all the more effective and add a point shot dimension to our offence.

I think we're missing more of a top level shutdown or 2 way D. Sure more offense is great, but we're not building the 80s Oilers where you just outscore your opponent all the time. We need to buckle it down defensively a bit, and let our existing offense flow.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

What is even more impressive and hope giving is that the leafs wanted to trade down if Marner was gone to look at werenski (rumour) as the target. Shows just how smart hunter is. Some
Of his moves this year were head scratchers at the draft so this is very positive

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
McJesus and then
Awesome Matthews?
That's a tough act to follow. Though I'll feel worse for him if he ends up in Colorado. That's a franchise a Nolan Patrick away from turning things around. They've had a few pretty good centers.

That's how it goes though. You can't have unbelievable #1 picks forever. Eventually things go back closer to normal and the adjustment to that is left to the guy taking that role. A bit of a weird draft year anyways with the injuries to guys who are going to be high picks in that draft.

Truly a lucky break in getting Matthews :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad