Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion Thread II: Record Breaking Edition

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Sorry, let me explain to those in the back:

Matthews led the team in shots, scoring chances, hits, blocked shots.
2nd on the team in takeaways and face-offs won.

The only thing he didn't do was score.

As I have said a million times in a myriad of Nylander threads, I expect compete and effort.
This was not a night Matthews didn't compete or put in the work, at both ends of the ice.

In fact, over the 5 games, he led the team in shots, scoring chances, blocked shots.
Only Acciari (36) and Schenn (20) had more hits than Matthews (19).
Only Ryan O'Reilly (9) had more takeaways than Matthews (7).

In terms of high danger chances for, Tavares with 20 followed by Matthews with 16. Nobody else on the team had more than 9.

All this with an abysmal game 3.

Of the many problems the Leafs had this series, Matthews' compete and effort were near the bottom of the list.
His abysmal conversion rate was definitely a major contributing factor.

Also, a gentle reminder that he absolutely dominated everywhere other than the scoreboard while being marked by Barkov (you know that Selke winner guy).

Barkov ended the series with 32 total points, 15 shots. His entire focus the whole series was to shut Matthews down and he still needed Bob playing otherwordly plus 3 posts.

Is this sufficient and acceptable by the star player?
No.

It's also a sign that this isn't anywhere near the problem for this team and any reactionary calls for his head are just incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

Then again, that aptly describes a huge proportion of Leafs "fans".
I actually agree with a lot of your post, but we can't win if he doesn't score.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I actually agree with a lot of your post, but we can't win if he doesn't score.

I totally agree that he has to find a way to score.

However, whether you score a goal or not is not within your power.

What is within your control is to do the things that give you the best chance to score goals.

That means shooting, getting to the dangerous areas, making yourself available for passes and/or rebounds/tip-ins.

It's up to the goalie to determine whether you doing those things will result in goals.

It's possible to do everything right and the goalie is just there (by skill, size, luck, whatever).

Given enough of a sample size, doing things correctly will yield results, whereas cheating on effort will result in less.

Along the same line:

Given a large enough sample size, gamblers will always lose.
That doesn't mean that you can't win. Doesn't even mean you can't win multiple times.

It just means that eventually your results will slide towards the statistically expected results.

By far, the stupidest thing anyone can believe is that "it doesn't matter how well you play".

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

What is within your control is to do the things that give you the best chance to score goals.

That means shooting, getting to the dangerous areas, making yourself available for passes and/or rebounds/tip-ins.

It's up to the goalie to determine whether you doing those things will result in goals.

It's possible to do everything right and the goalie is just there (by skill, size, luck, whatever).

Given enough of a sample size, doing things correctly will yield results, whereas cheating on effort will result in less.

Along the same line:

That doesn't mean that you can't win. Doesn't even mean you can't win multiple times.

It just means that eventually your results will slide towards the statistically expected results.

By far, the stupidest thing anyone can believe is that "it doesn't matter how well you play".
Lol what? How is scoring not within a players power? How do McDavid and Draisaitl somehow have series after series of elite numbers? Same with Mackinnon? Somehow they have the power to fight through other factors but AM34 continuously can’t?

These guys are paid to produce, not to just “do all the right things”. Doing the right things usually lead to goals, but if they don’t you’re not doing your job.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
An excellent first round followed by a disastrous second round. No excuses for being that bad in round 2 for his salary.

Reactions: sunstersun

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Along the same line:

This is loser logic. These dummies don’t need excuses.

You’re a f***ing Rocket winner. You get paid to score goals.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
When we hate on Matthews, HFBoards falls in love with him.

When we love Matthews, HFBoards shits on him, calls him overrated a product of Toronto media.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Lol what? How is scoring not within a players power? How do McDavid and Draisaitl somehow have series after series of elite numbers? Same with Mackinnon? Somehow they have the power to fight through other factors but AM34 continuously can’t?

These guys are paid to produce, not to just “do all the right things”. Doing the right things usually lead to goals, but if they don’t you’re not doing your job.

I know it's subtle, but what you can control is whether you make the best possible shot on goal.

What you can't control is how the goalie reacts to the shot (whether he makes the save or not).

Let me add 1 thing quickly here:

Ask a lawyer to differentiate this for you.
It's very frequently argued in court, the difference between what you have control over and what you don't.

Let me ask you a question, Draisaitl and McDavid are 1 loss away from being eliminated.

The 2 players have been really good offensively, particularly on the power play.

They have been abysmal defensively, particularly Draisaitl.

As you agreed, doing the right things usually leads to goals.
What you can't do is to stop doing the right things and chase the goals, all the while being the cause of multiple goal scoring chances against per game, if not multiple goals against.

I know my parents and coaches always told me to keep doing things the right way because eventually it'd pay off.
What I never was taught was to cut corners and cheat.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
can't wait till this fanbase drives out another star 1C and then sits around moping that we don't have 1 for a decade...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's too bad Auston and Mitch never participated in the World Championships or World Cups where they could have been exposed to other non Leaf star players and won in non NHL events when they were younger. Could have really learned some big game perspective and brought it into their NHL games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Hey look, there’s plenty of scorn to go around, but the fact this thread is less active than Marner’s and this guy was WORSE all series, really says something.

There is no other gear, of the big four last night again his was FIFTH. He disappears every big game.

The Reggie Jackson of hockey.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So Montour was roughing him up again late in Game 5 doing his usual Montour agitation stuff and Matthews finally busted out a cross check to 62's back. Maybe get all that stuff out of the way in the tone setting part of a series until it's too late. Maybe if you hacked a guy back or pasted them early in the series you get more room to operate later.

Matthews can be the elite of the elite when he wants to be, but he's not that well versed in a lot of the little greasy games within games.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You just prove exactly what i said, at 5v5 no body had more high scoring chance than Matthews... Matthews was the guy who created the most offensive but was unable to convert any of those...
Who was giving him those high danger chances he couldn’t finish? It’s interesting.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I used to think those commercials were embarrassing, but they’re actually an accurate depreciation, a candy ass passenger, never driving the action. Nobody fleeced Dubas worse than this guy….

IMG_1490.jpeg

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Who was giving him those high danger chances he couldn’t finish? It’s interesting.

I will come back with my 1st post... i just think Matthews overthinking and put on his shoulder too much pressure by trying to make the perfect shot but missing his shot most of the time

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I will come back with my 1st post... i just think Matthews overthinking and put on his shoulder too much pressure by trying to make the perfect shot but missing his shot most of the time
Agreed, he can’t take the pressure. He wilted last year too as the series went on. I can’t think of one big game moment where he put the team on his back.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Drai’s contact is up in two years.
Does he get more than Matthews?

Who would you rather have? No
Bias just asking.
Draisaitl

He scores just as many goals, gets many more points. Sure his defence isn’t as good, but he’s the prototypical superstar build

It’s much easier to succeed in the playoffs with his type of player, than it is with the Matthews type of player.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad