Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion Thread II: Record Breaking Edition

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He may get traded but it will because he intends to leave. If he wants to stay you keep him.

I find him wanting to stay unlikely. Body language.
Definitely.

He also says he's a "Family first" guy.

He must also be sick of hockey crazy Toronto.

He 100% must be traded before next season if he won't sign first week of July.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Definitely.

He also says he's a "Family first" guy.

He must also be sick of hockey crazy Toronto.

He 100% must be traded before next season if he won't sign first week of July.
Family first guy type comment is absolutely a Kawhi Leonard type comment. Need it in writing in advance, 100%

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Who thinks he's injured ?

Who thinks he's injured and need surgery ?

Who thinks his wrist is fixable (won't be re-injured) ?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
1684006642614.png

that does nothing for his wrist. that's just tape on his palm / hand.

im not sure that tape does anything for any hand condition and it does nothing for any wrist condition.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I know it's subtle, but what you can control is whether you make the best possible shot on goal.

What you can't control is how the goalie reacts to the shot (whether he makes the save or not).

Let me add 1 thing quickly here:

Ask a lawyer to differentiate this for you.
It's very frequently argued in court, the difference between what you have control over and what you don't.

Let me ask you a question, Draisaitl and McDavid are 1 loss away from being eliminated.

The 2 players have been really good offensively, particularly on the power play.

They have been abysmal defensively, particularly Draisaitl.

As you agreed, doing the right things usually leads to goals.
What you can't do is to stop doing the right things and chase the goals, all the while being the cause of multiple goal scoring chances against per game, if not multiple goals against.

I know my parents and coaches always told me to keep doing things the right way because eventually it'd pay off.
What I never was taught was to cut corners and cheat.
You 100% can play a role in how a goalie reacts to a shot, it's one of the fundamental aspects of being a good goal scorer. If you can mask your shot well the goalie struggles to get a read on where it goes. Again, how do McDrai + Mackinnon continuously find ways to beat goalies while Matthews struggles? The Edmonton duo even played against a hot Korpisalo like we did in 2020, except they found a way to beat him while our guys got shutout 2 times in 5 games

In regards to McDrai, their defensive deficiencies are not nearly bad enough to overtake their historical offensive output. McDavid has 52 points in his last 27 playoff games and Drai has 50 in 27. These are the players Matthews thinks are his peers and who he will want to be paid more than very soon lol.

No one is telling Matthews to stop making the right plays, the problem is if doing all the right things doesn't lead to production it really doesn't matter. He is paid handsomely to score, not just do all the right things. This isn't little league anymore, the expectations are higher than that for a top 5 center in the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Seen a lot of comments here of late saying he’s better than Sundin. As it happens a YouTube video “most memorable and meaningful goals” for the Leafs came up and after watching it I’d just like to say how laughable to even suggest Matthews is better at this point. I actually forgot how many big time goals Sundin had here, he’s littered all over the video, centerstage coming through. The opposition used to target him relentlessly but he often found a way. Matthews isn’t close to him at this stage, he never shines in the big moments, he wilts, some score, some have chances.

Mar 26, 2010
He is gone. He most likely never plays another game as a Maple Leaf.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I really don’t like recent trends where Matthews is always the player who is being hunted on a center on center matchup. Whether that’s Danault or Cirelli or Barkov or whomever is thrown out against him. He’s gotta be an animal out there offensively, be the aggressor and just chew through the opposition. Being defensively reliable and blocking shots is nice buy in stuff but it’s time to dominate.

Agreed. If you're a 60 goal scoring 11 million dollar player.. the opposition should be worrying about you, not the other way around.

Reactions: DarkKnight

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Seen a lot of comments here of late saying he’s better than Sundin. As it happens a YouTube video “most memorable and meaningful goals” for the Leafs came up and after watching it I’d just like to say how laughable to even suggest Matthews is better at this point. I actually forgot how many big time goals Sundin had here, he’s littered all over the video, centerstage coming through. The opposition used to target him relentlessly but he often found a way. Matthews isn’t close to him at this stage, he never shines in the big moments, he wilts, some score, some have chances.
I think you're glossing over things. Maybe you're too young to remember but Sundin was skewered by the media his first 4 years as a Leaf. No playoff success not winning a round. Even going back to Quebec he didn't advance to round 2 in his first 4 years. So that's 8 years in never advancing into round 2. He finally broke through when he was 28. Extremely unlikely run as well as the expectations weren't that high going into that year. Spent money on Cujo led by 35 year old Steve Thomas, 32 year old Derek King and Sergei Berezin. Matthews turns 26 this year he still has time to reach a status of Sundin, in fact plenty of time.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think you're glossing over things. Maybe you're too young to remember but Sundin was skewered by the media his first 4 years as a Leaf. No playoff success not winning a round. Even going back to Quebec he didn't advance to round 2 in his first 4 years. So that's 8 years in never advancing into round 2. He finally broke through when he was 28. Extremely unlikely run as well as the expectations weren't that high going into that year. Spent money on Cujo led by 35 year old Steve Thomas, 32 year old Derek King and Sergei Berezin. Matthews turns 26 this year he still has time to reach a status of Sundin, in fact plenty of time.
Sure just don‘t tell me he’s better, because he isn’t to this stage and Sundin scored many big goals, several before he had a letter to i might add. Who cares what the media said about Sundin, he was replacing a god in Clark, he still actually showed up when it mattered. Matthews is a candy ass at this point, he gets buy on the best physical shot in the league and frame, he hasn’t shown anything resembling a championship mentality, he’s satisfied with showing up. Yes, he can change the narrative, but just like last year, when the chips were down, of the big four, thirty four, was O four.

United35

Jan 16, 2021
Leafsfan5…….

Matthews struggles? 100 goals in the past two years (147 games)

Pump the brakes. He had a tough 5 games.

Reactions: WillNy29

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I guess this is the thread?

Look, unless you know for sure you aren't signing him, and as adults in the room they should know this, 100% sign him, it's an easy question. All this speculation that he wants to leave? Man, it's just insecurity, and emotion, and you can't do business that way. Which they aren't, it's all just fan emotions, we are all just guessing based on internet crap. I would suppose this is done in the next month, it can't hang over the team right? I agree with that.

But throw the kitchen sink if need be. He's an elite #1C, really really elite. He's step 1, same as 7 years ago. Everything else, unless its signing 1999 Dominik Haesk, comes after, figure it out after that. Don't lose him.

The Mitchician

Dec 10, 2009
Matthews does some things very well.
Somehow he seems to come out with the puck.
Has a Huge 1 timer, a great wrist shot and in the last few years has progressed on using his body to make some hits along the boards.
He does like to celebrate a goal when one of his teammates score....(mostly in the regular season)

What he does not do well is show a shit ton of passion out loud for being a Leaf
Skates away mostly when the whistle blows even if there is some locking up action with the opposition.
Does not really lead by example nor does he seem to want to lead,...maybe bitter about not being named captain? Maybe he likes the spotlight to shine more brightly on him, or maybe does not seem to accept the huge spotlight that needs to shine as a Maple Leaf as the spotlight is too bright and intense in T.O.

I dunno but my gut feeling says he seems more to want out rather than to be vocal and say I love it here, I love the pressure, I love being drafted as a Maple Leaf and want to bring The Stan Here and do that Journey!

In my books,..I feel injuries, drive, not being an outloud proud player that never states it, urges being closer to his home but played it out on his first chapter as a Leafs.

Until he shows more energy stating,.".I want to be a Leaf and see this through" I'm leaning more towards him silently not giving a puck and signing elsewhere when the time comes screwing us over somewhat like Sundin,..but as of now Matthews can fetch more.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Are you guys paying attention to Draisaitl at all?

I wonder how much more effective a player is when he scores a bunch, but is also directly responsible for just as many, if not more, goals against.
A player who doesn't do any of the little things right and cheats far too often towards offense.

United35

Jan 16, 2021
Are you guys paying attention to Draisaitl at all?

I wonder how much more effective a player is when he scores a bunch, but is also directly responsible for just as many, if not more, goals against.
A player who doesn't do any of the little things right and cheats far too often towards offense.
Draisaitl and his 13 goals are playing golf with Matthews tomorrow.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad