Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion Thread II: Record Breaking Edition

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Matthews 13 hits 11 blocks in his last 3 games, the guy was an absolute monster away from the puck, then Marner did pure stupidity and weakling stuff, leaving zero chance to run plays.
Wish I can like this x1000000

If we are rebuilding you run matthews-nylander 82 games + all playoffs.

Imagine the chemistry after the first batch of 82 games

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He’s not that good of a player

He’s just not that good
He’s an incredibly talented player. He just doesn’t have that drive. Winning isn’t important to him, despite the lip service. He’s not the only guy who makes a handsome living for a playing a sport, that he might not love as much as we’d expect. Gaudreau is similar. They don’t actually care.

Put it this way, if tonight’s game had every penny he’s ever made in his life on the line, every dollar, you think you’d get this performance? Think again.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
He's just a career loser. One career series win and it took Vasi imploding to do it

He never won a series in junior, either. He just doesn't get the job done

He did the job of a bottom 6 grinder, let's all applaud him

Embarrassing take. We can find league minimum players to shy away from body contact, accidentally block the odd shot and take shots without scoring. Lmao.

When you do Kampf stuff. You didn’t do anything.

Sorry, let me explain to those in the back:

Matthews led the team in shots, scoring chances, hits, blocked shots.
2nd on the team in takeaways and face-offs won.

The only thing he didn't do was score.

As I have said a million times in a myriad of Nylander threads, I expect compete and effort.
This was not a night Matthews didn't compete or put in the work, at both ends of the ice.

In fact, over the 5 games, he led the team in shots, scoring chances, blocked shots.
Only Acciari (36) and Schenn (20) had more hits than Matthews (19).
Only Ryan O'Reilly (9) had more takeaways than Matthews (7).

In terms of high danger chances for, Tavares with 20 followed by Matthews with 16. Nobody else on the team had more than 9.

All this with an abysmal game 3.

Of the many problems the Leafs had this series, Matthews' compete and effort were near the bottom of the list.
His abysmal conversion rate was definitely a major contributing factor.

Also, a gentle reminder that he absolutely dominated everywhere other than the scoreboard while being marked by Barkov (you know that Selke winner guy).

Barkov ended the series with 32 total points, 15 shots. His entire focus the whole series was to shut Matthews down and he still needed Bob playing otherwordly plus 3 posts.

Is this sufficient and acceptable by the star player?
No.

It's also a sign that this isn't anywhere near the problem for this team and any reactionary calls for his head are just incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

Then again, that aptly describes a huge proportion of Leafs "fans".

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I think just big overeaction here... matthews didn-t provide offensive number but was not as bad than some people saying here...

Hes probably the guy whos got the higher number of high scoring chance for leafs... but his shot was not as good he tried to get perfect shot every time and i dont know how many shot he took who missed the net.

Honestly i just think matthews put himself too much pressure on his shoulder to carry the team unstead just focus to play hockey. Matthews with the same shot of regular season with same quality of scoring chance he had could easily scored 5-6 goal in this serie.. or giving up those goal because i dont know how many 2v1 matthews had in this serie but he never made any pass in any of those

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario

As I have said a million times in a myriad of Nylander threads, I expect compete and effort.
This was not a night Matthews didn't compete or put in the work, at both ends of the ice.

In fact, over the 5 games, he led the team in shots, scoring chances, blocked shots.

In terms of high danger chances for, Tavares with 20 followed by Matthews with 16. Nobody else on the team had more than 9.

Of the many problems the Leafs had this series, Matthews' compete and effort were near the bottom of the list.

Also, a gentle reminder that he absolutely dominated everywhere other than the scoreboard while being marked by Barkov (you know that Selke winner guy).

Barkov ended the series with 32 total points, 15 shots. His entire focus the whole series was to shut Matthews down and he still needed Bob playing otherwordly plus 3 posts.

No.

It's also a sign that this isn't anywhere near the problem for this team and any reactionary calls for his head are just incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

This is the only thing he gets paid 12M to do, genius. 2A in 5 career Game 7s (including the G5 against CBJ). Sheep goes baa.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

No.

The only stat that really matters at the end of the day: 0 goals

This is all the same shit that was said during the Montreal series. I don't care how well you play, if you don't score it means nothing. This is a results driven process, we've given more than enough time for him to dominate and put nothing up on the board

This is also a player who will ask for the highest salary in the NHL very soon. It's not a good situation

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The only stat that really matters at the end of the day: 0 goals

This is all the same shit that was said during the Montreal series. I don't care how well you play, if you don't score it means nothing. This is a results driven process, we've given more than enough time for him to dominate and put nothing up on the board

This is also a player who will ask for the highest salary in the NHL very soon. It's not a good situation

I don't care how well you play.

That says all you need to know about your opinion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

No.

No one’s calling for his head. He just sucks.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

No.

How good is he? Where does he rank in the league? Top 2? Top 3?

How often, after a playoff has he clearly been the best player in the ice, in comparison to how many times it happens in the regular season. Honestly.

This is guy is good e ought that he should clearly be the best player on the ice more often than not.

In the playoffs, it’s been rarer still mooing steak.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I don't care how well you play.

That says all you need to know about your opinion.
At a certain point, it becomes simple. He is paid to score, not paid to dominate xGF% and block shots

He will be asking for 14-15 million in the summer with this, if you can't recognize the issue I don't know what to say

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I think just big overeaction here... matthews didn-t provide offensive number but was not as bad than some people saying here...

Hes probably the guy whos got the higher number of high scoring chance for leafs... but his shot was not as good he tried to get perfect shot every time and i dont know how many shot he took who missed the net.

Honestly i just think matthews put himself too much pressure on his shoulder to carry the team unstead just focus to play hockey. Matthews with the same shot of regular season with same quality of scoring chance he had could easily scored 5-6 goal in this serie.. or giving up those goal because i dont know how many 2v1 matthews had in this serie but he never made any pass in any of those

Over the course of the series, Tavares had a total of 20 high danger scoring chances.
Matthews had 16.
The next highest was Nylander with 9.
After that was Bunting and RoR with 6.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Crazy. Thought this guy would be in Mats' tier by now and on his way to being the best Leaf of all time. He was my favourite Leaf.

I'm really hoping it comes out that he was playing with a significant injury because there's simply no excuse for 0 goals in this series.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Matthews didn't score.

He did everything else possible.

You people understand that there is more to hockey than scoring goals, and that sometimes you just don't finish because of whatever reasons (goalies, posts, deflected shots, etc)

He led the team in hits and blocked shots.

9 hits
5 blocked shots
2 takeaways and 8 shots on goal.
He’s paid to be an offensive catalyst. Not a 3rd line grinder.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Keefe saddled Matthews with Mitch who was destroying momentum every night. Matthews should have demanded Nylander on his wing and PP.

Make no mistake Matthews was in no way terrible. He may get traded but it will because he intends to leave. If he wants to stay you keep him.

I find him wanting to stay unlikely. Body language.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto

No.

Most people like myself are calling for his head because of how much he’s going to want on his next Contract.

He simply isn’t clutch enough when it matters (7 year sample size) to demand that type of money.

Exact same situation with Marner btw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad