AUS Playoffs

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
And that's why OUA schools don't win National Championships. :)

The focus of OUA universities is more to provide an education and not to provide a venue for graduating junior hockey players. It is understandable that the smaller AUS schools need to attract more students to fill spots that would otherwise go empty. In the OUA the academic competition to secure the privilege just to attend classes means that OUA schools can demand that students meet higher academic standards. The rules for admission of student athletes are consequentially stricter as well as less benefits allowed to student/athletes.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The focus of OUA universities is more to provide an education and not to provide a venue for graduating junior hockey players.

The AUS does both. These two goals do not have to be mutually exclusive. Just because AUS hockey programs work harder than many in the OUA to find money to fund Athletic Financial Awards doesn't make it a bad thing. OUA schools I guess have different priorities.

It is understandable that the smaller AUS schools need to attract more students to fill spots that would otherwise go empty. In the OUA the academic competition to secure the privilege just to attend classes means that OUA schools can demand that students meet higher academic standards. The rules for admission of student athletes are consequentially stricter as well as less benefits allowed to student/athletes.

I agree with everything here except your very last phrase. There are not "less benefits allowed". The AFA rules are CIS rules. If OUA schools choose not to max out AFA's in hockey that is their choice - no one is forcing them.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The two things you have to worry about in Playoff hockey we saw tonight; a hot goalie and questionable officiating.

Peters was definitely the star of the game but how is there not a call on Bloodoff's hit from behind on Robertson? There were several uncalled penalties that were obvious interference calls by SMU that weren't made as well but that non call on Bloodoff's hit was absolutely ridiculous!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The two things you have to worry about in Playoff hockey we saw tonight; a hot goalie and questionable officiating.

Peters was definitely the star of the game but how is there not a call on Bloodoff's hit from behind on Robertson? There were several uncalled penalties that were obvious interference calls by SMU that weren't made as well but that non call on Bloodoff's hit was absolutely ridiculous!

Have you not seen Doyle in action before? Agree, absolutely great game from Peters, he was amazing. That game could have easily been 5 or 6-1 UNB. Hope that they can solve him tomorrow night.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Unfortunately, I've seen both Doyle and Hopkins many more times than I would have liked at different levels of hockey!

bad refs

Oct 16, 2008
Nova Scotia
You guys make laugh. UNB doubles SMU in shots and yet you worry about the officials. UNB had plenty of opportunities to finish tonight and Peters was the differenc. I watched the same game as you, I'm travelling for work and enjoyed the game, been a while since I have been to the/ AUC. There certainly wasn't 2600 fans as the announcer said. UNB got stymied by a hot goalie, that is it. I don't think either referee is too blame, but what do I know. Lol

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Totally agree that Peters won that game for SMU tonight, give credit where credit is due, there was more than a few times we were all in disbelief that the puck wasn't in the back of the net. Although we have come to expect it from Doyle, it is hard to swallow that there was no call on the Robertson hit, and then the two weak calls in OT.

We will move on and expect another great game tomorrow night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I didn't see the game, but have to say that there is no way it should have gotten to OT. SMU has a depleted defence corps plus missing Beyers and Stickland. UNB has all the big guns playing plus Carroll is back. UNB had 5 PP and scored on 1. Don't blame the loss on a missed call by the refs. That is a copout. If a couple of missed calls is the difference in a 51 shot game then you have a lot more to worry about. You got beat by a hot goalie. Scoring 1 goal on 51 shots is not very good.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I didn't see the game, but have to say that there is no way it should have gotten to OT. SMU has a depleted defence corps plus missing Beyers and Stickland. UNB has all the big guns playing plus Carroll is back. UNB had 5 PP and scored on 1. Don't blame the loss on a missed call by the refs. That is a copout. If a couple of missed calls is the difference in a 51 shot game then you have a lot more to worry about. You got beat by a hot goalie. Scoring 1 goal on 51 shots is not very good.

I agree somewhat, I thought that UNB played a smothering game and like I said before Peters won that game for them. My issue is that Doyle is consistently bad. I have been to every home game this year and games that he does are so inconsistent, no one knows what a penalty is.

That game is behind them, I would be worried if SMU outplayed them, but that wasn't even close to being the case. I suspect they will bounce back fine.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

As I said to my friends during the game, the missed breakaways by Maillet and Carroll were going to come back to haunt them.

That said, UNB was pretty clearly the better team but got beat by some fantastic goaltending by Peters.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those keeping score at home, Stienburg was suspended one game for his comments in the Gleaner. After the game I sent a text to Naugler to sit Stieny tonight as well.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For those keeping score at home, Stienburg was suspended one game for his comments in the Gleaner. After the game I sent a text to Naugler to sit Stieny tonight as well.

I asked Tyler last night if he was going to let Stieny back behind the bench. He just laughed ...

Naugs was pretty stoked about getting his first coaching win at the AUC.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Easy way to fix that, only take the top 4 teams, no bye's. That or all the series are best of 3. Can't have it both ways.

IMO all conferences should play best-of-3 all the way through unless they have a 4-team final four one weekend tournament as in basketball and volleyball.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
bad refs, I don't think bad officiating is a laughing matter. Robertson could have been seriously hurt on that hit by Bloodoff. The call could have easily been a 5 and game. It had to be at least 2 and 10 but nothing was called. Robertson slowly struggled to his feet because the refs let play go on. Every parent and fan should be upset at that type of officiating at any level especially when Bloodoff is a repeat, repeat, repeat offender going back to Nationals last year and earlier this year.

The game was later decided by a call on an accidental high sticking penalty and a power play goal. It was the second penalty call in OT against UNB.

The comment about the officiating was not meant in any way to take away from the fact that Peters was the difference maker and stole the game but the AUS deserves better officiating than was seen last night. It makes it even worse when it's excused because it's a certain referee!

bad refs

Oct 16, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rethinking, I think your fishing about the officials. I refereed for more than 30 years my self and worked a lot of hockey in NS. The check from behind you are talking about was imo not a penalty. I was sitting right behind the net close to wear the band was and saw the whole play and it almost looked as though he made it look worse than it was. I Will say it probably didn't look good from many vantage points Furthermore, Robertson never missed a shift.

The high sticking penalty was a penalty. Whether it's accidental or not is irrelevant. That's a black and white call. The delay of game in the first OT was gutsy as the referee was yelling at the player to move the puck for a long time and I don't think there was one person in the rink that didn't hear him telling him to keep it going.

I've followed this league forever, and have to say to me the common theme when some teams lose is the officials. Coaches have input into who they like and rank the officials accordingly. I know in NS that the rankings and input help to determine who works after the regular season. I'm sure the same applies to the rest of the AUS and the rest of the country.

Anyway, I think you were dwelling on the wrong issue in last night's game. I only wish I was still in Freddy for tonight's game, which I am sure will see a big win for the red machine.

Sorry can't work my iPad right and keep posting before I'm finished lol.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Game's starting to get nasty at the AUC. SMU bench was screaming for a penalty just before MacNeil put UNB up 5-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad