AUS Playoffs

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Game 3-4 now switches to the Halifax Forum. SMU needs to win both to have a realistic shot at beating the Axemen. To get off of the Olympic sized ice, I'm sure will be a relief to SMU. I would expect the Huskies to inflict more of a physical tone on Acadia's big line of Heelis, Cazzola and Thompson.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
In AUS women's hockey Moncton beat Mount Allison 2-0 to go to the CIS finals at STU next week. Of note the attendance at the game in Moncton was 1300+. Might be a record for a women's game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game 3-4 now switches to the Halifax Forum. SMU needs to win both to have a realistic shot at beating the Axemen. To get off of the Olympic sized ice, I'm sure will be a relief to SMU. I would expect the Huskies to inflict more of a physical tone on Acadia's big line of Heelis, Cazzola and Thompson.

SMU played better 5-on-5 in game two, but still need to find a way to score 5-on-5. The smaller ice should help them in their physical game. Having watched Acadia a lot this year I can say that the Smurfs take a beating most nights. Both Cazzola and Thompson are tough and feisty. SMU can certainly win this game, and the next as well. We'll know more around 9:30 tonight.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
One down, another tonight. The game was the most physical, ruthless game I've seen in a while. SMU was the aggressor on a lot of the hits. Not a lot of shots again in this game as both teams were kept to the outside to a certain extent. Peters made several great saves to keep SMU in and Mosher was no slouch either. SMU made an effort to dump the puck and then pound the Acadia defenceman. Penalties were almost even at 7-6 with SMU getting the extra 2 min ( I'm not counting the end-of-game stupidity). Many calls were not made, however, as the refs were content to let the teams hammer each other. Owens was back for Acadia after going hard into the boards on Friday night. Schemitch left the game after a hard check by Grant. He was down for several minutes in the Acadia end and was attended to by a host of training staff from both teams. He also was hit hard on Friday night and wobbled his way to the Acadia bench. I commented at the time that he looked "concussed".
I'm NOT questioning the Acadia training staff, just making the observation. I certainly hope he is OK 'cause I like his game.

For Acadia to win the series tonight they have to match the physical play of SMU. The Huskies have Bloodoff, Tipoff, Johnston and apparently, Grant who can make hits. Doornboch attempted several open ice hits but didn't connect. Gaynor and Anderson with Jenner on the back end are the only Axemen, IMHO, who can dish it out. Trask is a consideration but does not get the same minutes as the SMU guys. Jenner gets a lot of "bad" calls on his checks probably because of his size.
A large contingent of Acadia fans made the trek to Halifax and were vocal all night. I hope they can get back tonight as they certainly bring life to the rink.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So what happened at the end of the game? Never seen it, just seen the box score .

Not much. Just a gathering of the clans behind the SMU goal. Lots of pushing and shoving. A couple of punches thrown, but no calls made on those. Credit the refs for not over reacting in this case. Everyone except Heelis (him or Thompson would be the 6th skater) got 10's.
I'm not sure if the "accumulation of misconducts" is a factor in suspensions at the Nationals.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
After Marchand got away scot free on a hit from behind and a knee on knee in the UNB series, coach Steinberg apparently decided not to dress him for Game 4 against Acadia.

Acadia doesn't know how good the officiating has been in their series compared to the UNB series!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Cry me a river.....
Marchand was injured and that is why he didn't dress tonight. SMU does not have the luxury of sitting players out when they don't have a 40 goal scorer in the stands they can bring in.

On a positive note, SMU played 4 more games than UNB did.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
AUS Fan, I was going by what was said on the webcast. They never mentioned it as an injury situation but as a coaching decision.

Still you can't get around the issue of AUS officiating. It is simply not up to the caliber of the hockey. On different nights you see a
completely different set of rules almost.

Good luck to Acadia! I hope they represent the AUS very well!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
First time in seven years that a team other than UNB or SMU has won the AUS title.

By the way, what Huskies are graduating?

Tanaka is 5th year, Black is also done. Stickland, MacKinnon are two I can think of due to injury and graduation. Hillier and Bloodoff are both in their 4th year.

Edit:I would guess Bloodoff is gone for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad