AUS Playoffs

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The little line brawl with 10 seconds left is pretty telling of how much control the refs had. It started when Marchand hit Murray from behind; Murray was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct then Marchand went back after him.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Hopkins is just as bad as Doyle, not sure who the other was tonight. I said it early in the third that they were about to lose control of the game and that is exactly what they did.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I know we're not supposed to say anything negative about the officials but I can't figure out how UNB gets 6 penalties to SMU's 1, before the final scrum initiated by Marchand, when the SMU players were running at everyone in the 3rd?

I also thought Marchand hit Murray from behind with no penalty call but I guess it didn't deserve a penalty just like Bloodoff's hit last night, according to bad refs, although I'm pretty sure 95% of the people watching the game thought it was a very dangerous hit.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I know we're not supposed to say anything negative about the officials but I can't figure out how UNB gets 6 penalties to SMU's 1, before the final scrum initiated by Marchand, when the SMU players were running at everyone in the 3rd?

I also thought Marchand hit Murray from behind with no penalty call but I guess it didn't deserve a penalty just like Bloodoff's hit last night, according to bad refs, although I'm pretty sure 95% of the people watching the game thought it was a very dangerous hit.

Murray turned his back, but Marchand had him lined up from center ice. When you've lost control of the game as is, you've got to call something there - otherwise what happened happens. It doesn't matter what the score is or how much time is left, make the call and keep things sane.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB loses...complain about the refs.
UNB wins...complain about the refs.

Why don't we talk about the V-Reds picking up a huge W tonight?

Also, Acadia making an incredible comeback to beat Moncton 6-5 in double OT.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The real issue is that no one out there has a clue what a penalty is or what will be called, not the players, not the coaches, not even the referees!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
UNB loses...complain about the refs.
UNB wins...complain about the refs.

Why don't we talk about the V-Reds picking up a huge W tonight?

Also, Acadia making an incredible comeback to beat Moncton 6-5 in double OT.

Definitely a big win, but in all honesty, thought that they played a better game last night. Were very sloppy at times, and more mistakes.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They definitely played better last night...difference was Peters was more human tonight...and UNB had a bit more luck around the net. I think this series is going 5.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Steinberg and Macdougal were outraged at the ref's all night long for missed calls etc.
UNB was opportunistic and buried their chances early.
Should be a couple of dandy games in Halifax. I think this also goes 5.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Les Aigles blew a 4-0 lead and a 5-2 lead in the third to lose to the Axemen 6-5 in double OT. That has to kill any momentum they would have had. Can't see them coming back from this one.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The expressed opinion that Bloodoff didn't deserve a penalty the other night because Robertson was able to continue to play later on helps explain the problem with all too many officials.

A hit from behind is a hit from behind whether the player is seriously injured or not. It is all too dangerous and shouldn't be an accepted part of the game. Any official that operates that way is a major part of the problem and is not doing anything to eliminate potential very serious injuries from the game. A delay in blowing the whistle could also interfere with getting medical assistance to the player right away. They are also unfortunately the reason why some coaches instruct players to lay on the ice to influence the call.

We've seen 2 uncalled hits from behind in this series already. Thankfully, both players appear not to have been seriously hurt. I hope we don't see anymore despite the obvious lack of any deterrents so far.

The AUS promoted their concern about the health and safety of the student athletes last year with a press conference. It appears some nights that they failed to express that concern to their AUS officials!

bad refs

Oct 16, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rethinking, my opinion was that the Bloodoff hit on Robertson was not a penalty (that's my opinion). I never said it wasn't a penalty because he got up. I made the comment that he never missed a shift afterwards.

Have you ever watched a game objectively, without a vested interest or biased in favor or against the teams playing? No referee is perfect and referee's have good games and bad games just like players and coaches.

UNB is damn good and deserved to win both nights. However, in the play-offs a hot goalie can change everything. Can't wait to head to the forum on Saturday night.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
bad refs, this isn't about the outcome of the game.

It's about the fact that there should be no place in the game for "hits from behind" at any level of hockey! They shouldn't be acceptable because the offending player didn't hit him as hard as it looked.

The officials, referees and leagues, are the people who will make them unacceptable for very simple safety reasons by punishing the offenders.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Les Aigles blew a 4-0 lead and a 5-2 lead in the third to lose to the Axemen 6-5 in double OT. That has to kill any momentum they would have had. Can't see them coming back from this one.

Yeah they had their chance last night. I can't ever remember an AUS team coming back from a 2-0 deficit...at least not recently. Wonder when the last time it happened was?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
U de M

Yeah they had their chance last night. I can't ever remember an AUS team coming back from a 2-0 deficit...at least not recently. Wonder when the last time it happened was?

They really blew a chance to tie the series and send it back to Moncton! Serge, has said that they will win both at home, but any time that he has made these kind of statements, it comes crashing down.
I understand that he wants to install confidence in is troops, but what an uphill battle to beat that Acadia team three straight!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Peters steals another one as SMU pushes UNB to the brink with a 2-1 double overtime win.

In both of their wins this series the Huskies have outplayed UNB in the overtime periods, which shocks me since UNB dominates the first 60 minutes and the Huskies are playing with a short bench...you would think play would be even more one-sided the deeper the game goes.

Anyone else have to hold their breath every time the puck gets near Lavigne?? Both goals tonight were kind of on the ugly side.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Holy frustrating series for UNB...created lots of great chances in 2nd and 3rd but couldn't beat Peters and / or the cross bar. Lavigne has been solid but ultimately UNB needs to score. Pressure is on tomorrow night now.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Missed this game, but I'm not totally surprised with the result. SMU is as good as any team that can hang in a game while being outshot. Very good at keeping the offensive attack to the perimeter against good teams like UNB. The V- Reds will need to get out of the gate with serious puck pressure and capitalize on chances or this will be over in game 4.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I said before the series that if Peters was back in form he was capable of stealing it.
Still I expect a better game from UNB on Sunday. They have to play like they did in game 2 though. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the game Sunday night due to a previous commitment. It's tough (mod edit) having a girlfriend during the playoffs. :cry:

Nice to see Moncton make a series out of it with Acadia. I though they would have been completely deflated after blowing that game Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The 2nd OT was messy for UNB from the start while SMU was going for the win. UNB never got it going and before you knew it - everyone is running around, a scramble and a goal. Crappy way to lose, but as Gardiner said after game 1 - 'we had the game on our sticks a few times - just didn't finish'. Same thing tonight.

Backs againts the wall tonight - can't think about game 5, need to win this in the 1st period and cost through like they did in game 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->