AUS Playoffs

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Went to Moncton last night to watch SFX in game one. Pretty vigorous game by both teams. Great pace for the opening 20 minutes but slowed down a bit in the latter part of the game. UdeM was the better team overall by about 60-40. They created more scoring chances off the rush and were very solid defensively. Rebounds were in short supply for the X-Men as the Moncton D were very protective of Lemay. UdeM forechecked well and caused more than a few turnovers. SFX were not out of the game at all but just couldn't manage the good chances that UdeM seemed to generate. A well played game with few penalties or post whistle crap. Kudos to both teams for that.

Gardiner was there watching. He figures his team is ready to go against whomever. I did remind him about 2010 and SFX. Tyler Carroll is close to returning. Ran into Pete Belliveau as well. He says he is just a fan now, like me.

On the Island, SMU got rung up for 5 straight penalties after UPEI took two early in the game for too many men and delay of game. We can only assume that they were choirboys after that. I had a brief phone chat with a SMU coach while driving back from Moncton. He said they played well, but had a couple of moments where they 'fell asleep' and that's when the Islanders pounced. Hopefully a good game Friday at the forum and perhaps a return to the hub city on Sunday if SFX can even the series.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Went to Moncton last night to watch SFX in game one. Pretty vigorous game by both teams. Great pace for the opening 20 minutes but slowed down a bit in the latter part of the game. UdeM was the better team overall by about 60-40. They created more scoring chances off the rush and were very solid defensively. Rebounds were in short supply for the X-Men as the Moncton D were very protective of Lemay. UdeM forechecked well and caused more than a few turnovers. SFX were not out of the game at all but just couldn't manage the good chances that UdeM seemed to generate. A well played game with few penalties or post whistle crap. Kudos to both teams for that.

Gardiner was there watching. He figures his team is ready to go against whomever. I did remind him about 2010 and SFX. Tyler Carroll is close to returning. Ran into Pete Belliveau as well. He says he is just a fan now, like me.

On the Island, SMU got rung up for 5 straight penalties after UPEI took two early in the game for too many men and delay of game. We can only assume that they were choirboys after that. I had a brief phone chat with a SMU coach while driving back from Moncton. He said they played well, but had a couple of moments where they 'fell asleep' and that's when the Islanders pounced. Hopefully a good game Friday at the forum and perhaps a return to the hub city on Sunday if SFX can even the series.

I'm curious to see where he gets slotted in the lineup since I can't see either of the top two lines - Maillet-Culligan-Halley and MacNeil-Braes-Nesbitt - being broken up.

If I were to guess, I'd say he ends up on a line with Critchlow and Willick, leaving MacLise-MacDougall-Thomas as the fourth line.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I'm curious to see where he gets slotted in the lineup since I can't see either of the top two lines - Maillet-Culligan-Halley and MacNeil-Braes-Nesbitt - being broken up.

If I were to guess, I'd say he ends up on a line with Critchlow and Willick, leaving MacLise-MacDougall-Thomas as the fourth line.

You are correct zero chance they break up halley/culligan/maillet and braes/mcneill are a lock as well. However it is a possibility Carroll could replace Nesbitt on the RW, i know tyler usually plays LW but Nesbitts production has been way down since being removed from culligans line. But most likely youll see carroll with Critchlow/willick or Thomas

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You got your wish, Rob. SMU wins 4-1 in what was one of their better games all year. Johnston and MacAulay scored 2 apiece and Peters was very solid for the Huskies. UPEI tried to send a message late in the game after the MacAulay empty netter and again after the final whistle. Should be a good tilt Sunday night on the Island.

SFX rolled over against UdeM at home tonight. How can you lose 6-1 at home in a must-win game? very disappointing season for the X-Men. They have a lot of work to do for next year when they host the CIS Championship.

Acadia will play UdeM starting Wednesday and UNB the UPEI/SMU winner.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Glad I have a game to watch Sunday night. While I'm picking SMU to win I am pulling for the Panthers because UNB matches up better against them.

What a disappointing season for X. Wonder if the problem is coaching?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've had that thought myself at times. They have played some good games and other times were just brutal. They were 7-7 in the 1st half and started the 2nd half in style with a dominating win over UNB and a win over UdeM, both games at home. They then lost 3, won 1, lost 4, win-lose-win-lose. They have a fairly senior team with some good players. Something is missing here.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What a disappointing season for X. Wonder if the problem is coaching?

That's my thought...when you look at their team on paper over the last couple of years and look at the pedigree of some of the players they have recruited...they should be one of the top teams in the AUS annually. I suppose the AUS is so strong and someone has to be near the bottom of the standings every season....but the main thing with them seems to be consistency...seems like they alternate good years with bad.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Myself and a couple of others made the 'short' jaunt to the Mac and back. Despite playing with 3 rookie D-men plus a rookie forward on the back end, SMU came up with the win. I had not seen a game here for a couple of years and had forgotten how bad the reffing can be. Other than the major against Fraser, UPEI was given free rein to run the SMU players. High hits, guys leaving their feet, hits long after the puck had gone; these were the norm. Goaltending was the key in the game. Savage was not very good and Peters was stellar. UPEI had a real strong 2nd period, scoring on a 5-3 PP and putting a lot of pressure on SMU. The Hillier goal with 12 seconds left was a dagger to heart, giving SMU a 3 goal lead again. Peters kept SMU in it during the 3rd with several great glove saves. Frustration was evident as one player after another slammed their stick or the gate when going back to the bench. I've commented in the past how much I like how UPEI plays. I have to qualify that by saying 'I like how they play on the road'. Their road games are played with speed and controlled aggression. They are complete idiots at home. Seriously, I could count at least 10 times where there was "intent to injure". I'm glad they're out.....
On the injury front, D'Orazio is out for the season with a knee injury sustained at UPEI on the final weekend. Beyers has the dreaded 'upper body' injury from the final weekend at UPEI. Doornboch skated pre game but did not play. Stickland is done for the season.
SMU will be in tough against a healthy, rested UNB. The win will save me some gas money as I don't have to go to Moncton to watch Acadia on the road. I get to see the Axemen and Huskies at home. Looking forward to Wednesday night opener in Wolfville.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm picking both the VReds and the Axemen to win their respective series in four games. Although I am pulling for Les Aigles in their series as Wolfville is quite the drive.

cisno1fan

Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
As time permits, I try to watch as many of the CIS-AUS games as possible and must admit, the PEI home games are unique for a few of reasons:
• Passionate crowd, more than most;
• Passionate and biased announcers (terrible);
• Refereeing is TERRIBLE. I can not believe the rest of the AUS teams have not petitioned to require PEI to make adjustments
• Refereeing last game against SMU was especially terrible with all the Charging, leaving their feet, high hits, hits to the head, tripping. Referee Chief should be reviewing this game’s video. Hopefully the CIS-AUS has a Referee Chief.
• Shots recorded … their time keepers are SO one sided it is ridiculous. They are trying to impact the audience? The net effect is they improve the save percentage of the goalies playing against them and hence hurting their own goalie statistics.

Side note:
• Savage gets pulled in the first after 3 goals … and immediately leaves the ice rather than going to the bench … what happened? Was he injured? Did not look like it. If he was not injured, certainly leaves questions about sportsmanship in his final game and support for his team as he exits.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Went back to see who the officials were, a name that stands out to me is the infamous Doyle. I am not sure how he ever made level 4 or 5 or what he is because he is absolutely terrible. Although, he is usually partnered with someone equally as bad. I know people have gotten on us UNB fans for griping about the officials, this is status quo for us.

Anyway, looking forward to the UNB - SMU series, hopefully Carroll is back. Would love to be able to take in the Moncton - Acadia series as well, as I think that might a last man standing type of series. This is why the AUS is the best!

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Savage gets pulled in the first after 3 goals … and immediately leaves the ice rather than going to the bench … what happened? Was he injured? Did not look like it. If he was not injured, certainly leaves questions about sportsmanship in his final game and support for his team as he exits."

I would assume that he was quite upset at his performance. I'm going to cut him some slack here. He was on the bench for the rest of the game after that and was out for the handshake.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Can't believe the condensed schedule for the next round. 7 days for 5 games.
Steinburg was not happy with the decision.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Can't believe the condensed schedule for the next round. 7 days for 5 games.
Steinburg was not happy with the decision..

I agree. University sport is student first, athlete second. 3 games a week is lots.

Last edited by a moderator:

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Yeah, missing two days of school right in the middle of mid-term time isn't exactly the best scenario possible.

And I don't really see most guys from Acadia or UNB going to there classes either, and I don't blame 'em. Heck, I couldn't concentrate (mod edit)on game days so I mostly didn't bother going to classes. I can only imagine players, and in the playoffs nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I am pretty sure that it is going to be a non-issue with the players, they go away for a week for the CIS Nationals and survive.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
True, and the instructors are usually pretty accommodating to their schedules.

I doubt you would see that degree of leniency at Ryerson or most OUA schools for that matter. Perhaps an occasional instructor could be generous but not as a rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->