ATD2018 - Draft Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Surprisingly my pick got taken, but the Edmonton Oilers are excited to pick Doug Harvey, D

Harvey_Doug_Bier_008.jpg

NHL First All-Star Team Defence: (1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962)
NHL Second All-Star Team Defence: (1959)
James Norris Memorial Trophy: (1953*, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962)
Hart Voting: 2nd (1958-59), 3rd (1957-58), 5th (1954-55), 5th (1955-56), 5th (1956-57)

Legends of Hockey said:
Doug Harvey was unquestionably the top defenseman of his era. Along with XXX and Bobby Orr, he probably had the greatest impact of any player at that position. His dramatic rushes and superior defensive work allowed him to dominate the game. In a franchise deep in heroes, Harvey gained an immortal place in the storied history of the Montreal Canadiens. His role the Habs' record-setting five straight Cup wins from 1956 to 1960 was paramount.

His talent on the ice was matched by unqualified loyalty to the team.

Harvey proved to be an exceptionally talented and versatile player for the Habs. He quarterbacked the power play, set the tempo for the transitional game and the counterattack, defended tenaciously, blocked shots and intimidated the opposition by merely stepping on the ice. As much as any skater before or since, he was the complete player who meant everything to his team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aja

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I like both players.Both are incredible building blocks and super easy to build around.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
IMO they are both pretty much the same to me, I give Harvey the slight edge personally but I don't think you can go wrong either way

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No disrespect to Harvey, or even XXX/XXX etc but I don't think is much of a debate. Bourque's case for second best d-man of all time is pretty clear IMO.

Considering Harvey almost always finishes ahead of Bourque on all-time defensemen lists, it absolutely is a debate.

That said, I understand Bourque has an argument for #2. I have the two of them extremely close. Think that in ATD terms, Harvey is a bit better defensively, Bourque a bit better offensively, but obviously both are great at everything.

Reactions: Aja and VanIslander

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Bourque vs. Harvey: We had this mini-discussion not long ago, but not in this section.It boils down to Bourque's longevity vs. Harvey's playoffs and probable all-around superior level of play in his prime.People who saw Harvey play prefered* Harvey to Bourque.

*I hate that freaking word, can't ever spell it right, is it one "r" or two?

But this is hair-splitting in an ATD context, it doesn't matter which one you choose IMO.I'm biased though, cause I won with both ;D.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm confused. At that point Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux and Bourque were taken. The top 4 were locks to be taken, so that leaves us with Bourque as "your pick". Over Harvey. But:

I meant that I was fully expecting Bourque to be available at 6 not Harvey

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Someone (I think it was Epsilon) suggested that there hasn't been an in-depth comparison between Harvey and Bourque.If there is, I cannot find it.I find that weird.I'm not sure how helpful it would be though, my gut feeling tells me we'd end up exactly where we started.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
If Voight and I run into each other in the playoffs I'll be ready to make one

I'm happy to have the best defensive defenseman of all time when playing in a division with Lemieux

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If Voight and I run into each other in the playoffs I'll be ready to make one

I'm happy to have the best defensive defenseman of all time when playing in a division with Lemieux

I doubt an in-depth comparison between Harvey and Bourque would be helpful for any team in such a series, but it would sure be interesting at least.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Conference A:

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Division 4

Conference B:

Division 5
Division 6
Division 7
Division 8

(I will only do Conference A, repeat process symmetrically for Conference B)

1st round:

D1(1st) vs D4(2nd)
D1(2nd) vs D4(1st)

D2(1st) vs D3(2nd)
D2(2nd) vs D3(1st)

2nd round:

(assuming 1st all win)

D1(1st) vs D4(1st)
D2(1st) vs D3(1st)

3rd round:

winners of last round, e.g. D1(1st) vs D2(1st), or in other words, Howe vs. Lemieux.

Then ATD Finals.

-----

Note that 1st overall is in Division 1, 2nd overall is in division 5, 3rd overall is in division 6 and 4th overall is in division 2.So they could conceivably be in the final 4 team.

This structure was so we avoided repetition of regular season vote at least in the first round (where the 1st team of the same division would face the 2nd right off the bat).

Is that all right?
I don't like it.

Why not have teams play against their division rival in the opening round for the divisional crown?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't like it.

Why not have teams play against their division rival in the opening round for the divisional crown?

Because it's just a rehashed of the regular season voting.This was more or less agreed upon, a few liked it and no one commented on it at the time.I don't really care in any case, but it was to avoid the impact of potential divisions of death, where a 2nd ranked team might be the 2nd best team in a conference, giving him a chance to build momentum by winning a series.

Also, with divisions of 3, the whole ''divisional final'' thing loses a lot of its meaning.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Glad to see you guys got a good slate this year of GM's. While I am unsure of my future participation in these I am sure that I'll be checking in to see what's going on. If anyone wants to bounce an idea of a player off me please pm me. When voting time happens I'm more than willing to help. Good luck everyone.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Glad to see you guys got a good slate this year of GM's. While I am unsure of my future participation in these I am sure that I'll be checking in to see what's going on. If anyone wants to bounce an idea of a player off me please pm me. When voting time happens I'm more than willing to help. Good luck everyone.

I for one am hoping you come back next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad