ATD2018 - Draft Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Well, the clock hasn't officially started so he technically doesn't need to make his pick yet but we usually get some solid drafting going pre-clock.

Reactions: Aja and BenchBrawl

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So personally I think Gretzky is the best player ever, and I don't think I'd ever want to be in a position where I'm drafting first overall. Howe and Orr are easier to build around because they just do everything so well, whereas you need to surround Gretzky a specific way to get the most out of him. So it makes it hard to justify taking him first. It's also quite difficult to make a line with him that takes advantage of his excellent goal scoring as well, without neutering the line talent wise.

Out of curiosity, if I did what I did last year with Gretzky instead of who I took first last year, I wonder how it would have turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aja and BenchBrawl

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
On a more ranking side of things and less ATD, the big 4 are the big 4 but I'm not 100% with the most popular order of how they rank all time. Is the gap between Orr and Lemieux really that big enough for us to be able to fit in Howe there? For me Howe is either 2nd or 4th, I'm leaning towards 2nd all-time.

Reactions: Aja

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Having picked Orr first once (going against my heart and taking Wayne) it was a rough time. It was my second ATD and a no trade draft to boot.

If I ever get lucky enough to pick 1 it's Wayne for sure

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'd go with Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux. In a nutshell, those three did what Orr did, just for longer (minus Lemieux).

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
PlayerPosition20182017201620152014Average
Bobby Orr D211111.20
Wayne Gretzky C322222.20
Gordie Howe RW143433.00
Mario Lemieux C434384.40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's interesting to see for the most part how clear cut the decisions have been over the last 5 drafts

(I must say besides all the links being broken I do enjoy how easy it is to copy and paste tables now)

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Does anyone even think the difference between Wayne and #2 rankings wise is even particularly close? I personally don't.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I've had this for quite a while now.

Gretzky

Howe
Orr

Lemieux

I'm gonna add that the gap between Lemieux and #5 is smaller than the gap between Gretzky and Howe/Orr.

I agree with this. Given that, I shouldn't feel so bad about taking Wayne #1. But man, defensemen and easy to build around stars are at such a premium in this thing.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So you're saying I got a steal at 3 with Wayne? :naughty:

Hmm.. in a vacuum, yeah, it's a pretty big win. Traditionally, however, Wayne hasn't fared so well in the ATD and I think that has a lot to do with the required parameters to get the most out of him. Specifically, I think a line of plug-Gretzky-plug will be worse than a line of plug-plug-Howe. The fact that Howe does his own dirty work is a pretty significant part of that.

I know EXACTLY the type of player I'd want playing with Wayne, but I don't think you're in a position to get him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hmm.. in a vacuum, yeah, it's a pretty big win. Traditionally, however, Wayne hasn't fared so well in the ATD and I think that has a lot to do with the required parameters to get the most out of him. Specifically, I think a line of plug-Gretzky-plug will be worse than a line of plug-plug-Howe. The fact that Howe does his own dirty work is a pretty significant part of that.

I know EXACTLY the type of player I'd want playing with Wayne, but I don't think you're in a position to get him.

Well Gretzky did win ATD2012, though I think arrbez got away with a lot of things that year.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Well Gretzky did win ATD2012, though I think arrbez got away with a lot of things that year.

True.

I think Orr has had a similarly hard time winning much in these. Howe has seen the most success. I think that mostly has to do with Howe falling to 3 so many times. I believe every single GM that took Howe 3rd overall has won the draft.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
True.

I think Orr has had a similarly hard time winning much in these. I think that mostly has to do with Howe falling to 3 so many times. I believe every single GM that took Howe 3rd overall has won the draft.

Not me in 2016 unfortunately :(

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Howe going first makes me wonder, how would our drafting patterns change if the draft was more like a keeper fantasy league draft. And your players retired at the same ages they did in reality, but we kept drafting from a pool of all undrafted players each year to replace retirees.

There are a whole hell of a lot of variables in place, but I’d be curious to see the impact.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Howe going first makes me wonder, how would our drafting patterns change if the draft was more like a keeper fantasy league draft. And your players retired at the same ages they did in reality, but we kept drafting from a pool of all undrafted players each year to replace retirees.

There are a whole hell of a lot of variables in place, but I’d be curious to see the impact.

Longevity would have more value than it has now.But then, a player whose peak is very high, but who gets "averaged out" in his total career value under the current format, would see his value rise in the short term (I assume we get the player's value year by year, his early years, his prime, his later years, with different values for each), and thus might be prefered if winning soon is a priority.

It would certainly be an amazing game, if we could reduce years to say a week, as in 1 week = 1 year.But it would be hard to set up that game.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:teach: To be clear:

In round 3 of the playoffs,

the playoff winner of Division 1 will play the playoff winner of Division 8
then THAT winner will play the winner of Divisions 4 vs. 5.

in the other conference...

the playoff winner of Division 2 will play the playoff winner of Division 7
then THAT winner will play the winner of Divisions 3 vs. 6.

Right? :thumbu:

This is a most basic match-up method that allows the top-4 picks (top-4 players of all time) to CONCEIVABLY be the last four teams standing in the conference final series.

We really ought to lock and load the method before round 1 of picking ends (should have specified it predraft).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

This is a most basic match-up method that allows the top-4 picks (top-4 players of all time) to CONCEIVABLY be the last four teams standing in the conference final series.

We really ought to lock and load the method before round 1 of picking ends (should have specified it predraft).

We already settled this in the playoffs format thread I'm pretty sure.

But yes, our way is such that the Top 4 players might end up as the Top 4 final team.Only, I think you confuse which player is in which division.

Anyway, the conference Finals should be:

Division 1 or 4 Winner vs. Division 2 or 3 Winner
Division 5 or 8 Winner vs.Division 6 or 7 Winner

But Lemieux for example is in Division 2,while Howe is in Division 1.
Orr is in Division 5 and Gretzky is in Division 6.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Fine with me.

Though they aren't really "Conference finals" if there are no conferences. :D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There are conferences, just not posted yet I guess.

The winner of each division will face the 2nd rank of another division inside the same conference.Then once all of this is done, the intra-conference winners of the 1st round face each other, and so on until the ATD Finals.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Conference A:

Division 1
Division 2
Division 3
Division 4

Conference B:

Division 5
Division 6
Division 7
Division 8

(I will only do Conference A, repeat process symmetrically for Conference B)

1st round:

D1(1st) vs D4(2nd)
D1(2nd) vs D4(1st)

D2(1st) vs D3(2nd)
D2(2nd) vs D3(1st)

2nd round:

(assuming 1st all win)

D1(1st) vs D4(1st)
D2(1st) vs D3(1st)

3rd round:

winners of last round, e.g. D1(1st) vs D2(1st), or in other words, Howe vs. Lemieux.

Then ATD Finals.

-----

Note that 1st overall is in Division 1, 2nd overall is in division 5, 3rd overall is in division 6 and 4th overall is in division 2.So they could conceivably be in the final 4 team.

This structure was so we avoided repetition of regular season vote at least in the first round (where the 1st team of the same division would face the 2nd right off the bat).

Is that all right?

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Highest I have picked in the ATD, and many many good choices.

I am pleased to select a player who I've always been a huge fan of, one who was elite from his first game to his last. I wanted to go with a C, but I can't pass him up.

Ray-Bourque-750x400.jpg

From Saint-Laurent, Quebec - #77 Raymond Bourque!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/atd-2014-the-bios-thread.1587243/#post-78861831

Sorry for the delay - was not on HFB at all this weekend, forgot we could pick early for the ATD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad