ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
A league with 30ish teams will always be "weaker" then one with say 6. Perception is reality as we all know. I don't think the league is any weaker or stronger now than it was in the early 2000's or 90's for example. I think the top end talent was better during those periods but I also think the depth of talent is far better today then it was 20+ years ago. A lot of the grinders then wouldn't be able to skate in the league today. So it really balances out.

What player(s) from the DPE for example was clearly better than Crosby, Ovechkin and now McDavid?

Lemieux, when he played. Sure. Gretzky was just about finished so I don't count him. Lidstrom, by a smaller margin over Sid in my book, but then again Sid is still only 30 and the chances he doesn't pass Nick are pretty slim IMO. Plus half of Lidstrom's best years were post lockout. Bourque? Still an AS defender but well past his prime by 95-96. Roy, Hasek and Brodeur are certainly up there and I think goalie is where the biggest top end talent disparity exists when looking at a position and comparing that period to today.

Nobody is denying the brilliance of the very top I don't think but I feel that the depth is hurting, maybe I just like the playstyle of the 90s more. How does 99/00 Dallas compared to teams today? A lot of the top teams in today's NHL suffer from very suspect areas of their team. Nashville can't buy a goal sometimes, Pittsburgh's defense is worse than just suspect at this point. Goaltending depth is significantly worse too. The good goalies went far back then, now they go out in the first round.

Reactions: Aja

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Aja liked your post

@Aja what the heck are you doing liking every single post? lol
Thanks. I enjoy reading the draft and like to reward people. Roy with the 24th and last pick in the first round seemed decent value to me. I may not agree with Jarek that Crosby may win 4-5 more Harts and 2-3 more Conn Smythes! Good luck to all. I'd like to do it next year.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Who is Aja and why does he suddenly like every single post by everyone? :laugh:

Okay, it's already been answered in the other thread:

Thanks. I enjoy reading the draft and like to reward people. Roy with the 24th and last pick in the first round seemed decent value to me. I may not agree with Jarek that Crosby may win 4-5 more Harts and 2-3 more Conn Smythes! Good luck to all. I'd like to do it next year.

All I can say is: Steely Dan rule, great band.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Steely Dan is one of my all time favorite bands. I have all their records on vinyl.

Btw, thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoy the ATD. It's great to see new faces.

Reactions: Aja

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thrilled to see Ovechkin performing so well.This is the opportunity of his life.There's no powerhouses left and Washington looks very strong, and he's a serious Smythe candidate.This could boost his legacy.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I've got Ovechkin or Holtby as the Smythe for Washington but Kutnetzov is coming on fast as well.

Bfuglyien is easily my pick for Winnipeg and overall in the league right now. People will gush over Scheifele's 12 goals so far but DB is playing out of his mind on the back end and is only 3 points behind Scheifele in scoring. Buff has been an absolute monster. One of the strongest performances on offense/defense I've seen from a Dman in years back there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Bfuglyien is easily my pick for Winnipeg and overall in the league right now. People will gush over Scheifele's 12 goals so far but DB is playing out of his mind on the back end and is only 3 points behind Scheifele in scoring. Buff has been an absolute monster. One of the strongest performances on offense/defense I've seen from a Dman in years back there.

I haven't watched enough games to compare for myself, but is he really comparable to Keith in his Smythe run? That was very hard to beat.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Thrilled to see Ovechkin performing so well. This is the opportunity of his life. There's no powerhouses left and Washington looks very strong, and he's a serious Smythe candidate. This could boost his legacy.
If the Caps win the Cup, should OV go higher next year?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If the Caps win the Cup, should OV go higher next year?

Not necessarily due to the meta-game and positions involved.

I was more referring to the all-time lists.Some people already have Ovechkin over Lafleur.I don't.A Smythe would be a tremendous boost for him.He's alone in this range of wingers with no playoff success at all.You have Howe, M.Richard, Jagr, Bobby Hull, Lafleur, even guys like Makarov, Bossy and Cook, and then you have Ovechkin with a big void in his resume.He stood out in a bad way.

Check this list: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hoh-top-60-wingers-of-all-time.1739023/

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I haven't watched enough games to compare for myself, but is he really comparable to Keith in his Smythe run? That was very hard to beat.

Absolutely.

I've watched almost every Winnipeg game since the start of round 2 and he's been absolutely unreal. He's driving offense from the back end every game and more importantly he's physical dominating people all over the ice. His play would be best described as a modern day Eddie Shore right now.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fleury is a big reason why the Knights are where they are. As I've argued so many times a hot goalie is capable of carrying a team on his back more than any position on the ice. He's proof of that. Really happy for the guy.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Fleury is a big reason why the Knights are where they are. As I've argued so many times a hot goalie is capable of carrying a team on his back more than any position on the ice. He's proof of that. Really happy for the guy.
Agreed. Trivia time. Before Lemieux, who was the Pens career scoring leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad