ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I have no idea why anyone outside of Edmonton thinks McDavid should be anywhere near the Hart. How valuable is he really? Even having another stellar season isn't enough to carry Edmonton out of the lottery. What's your argument? If he wasn't there they'd have the worst record? They are still one of the 6-7 worst teams in the NHL this year. Stats are only part of the story but I'm sure he'll be a finalist at the very least given his name. The Oilers have nothing to play for so I'm sure he'll be force fed minutes and pucks over the last 6-7 games. I don't see how he doesn't win the AR if he plays all remaining games.

I honestly want to see him in the postseason most years as well. He's a generational talent and his true legacy will be left there (or not) like the greatest of all time have done since the early years. I don't watch enough Edmonton hockey being on the east coast but I really hope somebody out there figures out the path to success because the current set up just isn't working.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
McDavid has a pretty huge lead in non-PP points, right? He has no help.

What does that matter in an MVP discussion? Yes, his even strength scoring is extremely impressive but it's still just a single number.

This is largely the same damn team that just went to game 7 in the 2nd round last year. And they're back to being a lottery team. Winning the Art Ross should matter very little in all reality here. Unless he went ballistic and beat everyone in the scoring race by like 25-30 points I'm not budging off the mindset that you can be the MVP of the league on a shit team. There isn't much further down the Oilers could have went this year. Losing McDavid only makes them a lock to challenge for the 1st pick instead of a likely 4-7 draft slot.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I wouldn't call Draisaitl "no help".

Though opponents don't have much to worry about from most of the rest of the team, true.

Their F's are actually decent enough even beyond Drai. Their problem is the D sucks and apparently Cam Talbot took a big step back, from the 6-7 Edmonton games i caught in full this year and listening to the sane Edmonton fans out there. Plus their GM is a dolt and I don't think they have the right coach behind the bench.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Their F's are actually decent enough even beyond Drai. Their problem is the D sucks and apparently Cam Talbot took a big step back, from the 6-7 Edmonton games i caught in full this year and listening to the sane Edmonton fans out there. Plus their GM is a dolt and I don't think they have the right coach behind the bench.

Their F are not decent at all. They've got excellent depth at C, as Drai is a natural center. Their wingers, however, suck.. Milan Lucic leads them in scoring. That says all you need to know.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Their F are not decent at all. They've got excellent depth at C, as Drai is a natural center. Their wingers, however, suck.. Milan Lucic leads them in scoring. That says all you need to know.

Suck is a strong word. They aren't great or even good, but I'd say I could find a number of teams with more trash on the wings than Edmonton. Again, how different is this team from last years bunch?

Reactions: ResilientBeast

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Suck is a strong word. They aren't great or even good, but I'd say I could find a number of teams with more trash on the wings than Edmonton. Again, how different is this team from last years bunch?

Say what? Lucic is currently tied for 84th in scoring among LW, and he is the leading scorer at wing for the Oilers..

This is one of the worst group of wingers in the league, and quite possibly in the history of the sport.

What's different from last year is that they had Jordan Eberle last year, who would very easily be their best winger this year. To say Strome has been disappointing would be an understatement.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Say what? Lucic is currently tied for 84th in scoring among LW, and he is the leading scorer at wing for the Oilers..

This is one of the worst group of wingers in the league, and quite possibly in the history of the sport.

What's different from last year is that they had Jordan Eberle last year, who would very easily be their best winger this year. To say Strome has been disappointing would be an understatement.

1) Look at previous older Oilers teams to see why this is untrue

2) Eberle had checked out on this team and after being a total non factor in the playoffs was a goner. I'm happy for him finding success with the Islanders but he was never going to have a season like that again here.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
1) Look at previous older Oilers teams to see why this is untrue

2) Eberle had checked out on this team and after being a total non factor in the playoffs was a goner. I'm happy for him finding success with the Islanders but he was never going to have a season like that again here.

He scored 51 points last year. He couldn't have been that bad.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What does that matter in an MVP discussion? Yes, his even strength scoring is extremely impressive but it's still just a single number.

This is largely the same damn team that just went to game 7 in the 2nd round last year. And they're back to being a lottery team. Winning the Art Ross should matter very little in all reality here. Unless he went ballistic and beat everyone in the scoring race by like 25-30 points I'm not budging off the mindset that you can be the MVP of the league on a **** team. There isn't much further down the Oilers could have went this year. Losing McDavid only makes them a lock to challenge for the 1st pick instead of a likely 4-7 draft slot.

I’m confused. I mean, everything you said above is fine, but if that’s what you believe, you can’t have Kucherov as your MVP. Either it’s about value to your team or it’s about who is the best player. It can be a combination but the weights should be equal for all players.

Kucherov is not his team’s most valuable player, so how can he be league MVP if that’s your main criteria?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I’m confused. I mean, everything you said above is fine, but if that’s what you believe, you can’t have Kucherov as your MVP. Either it’s about value to your team or it’s about who is the best player. It can be a combination but the weights should be equal for all players.

Kucherov is not his team’s most valuable player, so how can he be league MVP if that’s your main criteria?

Kucherov HAS been his teams best player all year. He's easily been the most consistent player on the Bolts from day 1. That's in line with what I've seen with my own two eyes and what most Tampa fans will tell you.

So, my belief is that he's the best player on Tampa in 2017-18 AND the team has been the best (or arguably so) in the NHL all year. Even if McDavid passes him in scoring it won't be by some ridiculous margin and McDavid's brilliance has done nothing to help his own team get anywhere near the postseason, which they were in last year with almost entirely the same team.

Where was McDavid in the scoring race a few weeks back? You can't reward a guy who goes on a tear over the last 5-6 weeks of the season for a shit team. Period. A month ago Connor M's season was a pretty big disappointment on an individual level. It isn't now, because he's likely hitting 100 points again BUT he consistency should matter, among other things. And of course, how well a team shows matters. Give McDavid the Art Ross. Hell give him the Lindsay. But as far as the Hart goes, it should be down to guys like Kuch, MacKinnon, Malkin and to a lesser degree Rinne, Giroux, even Taylor Hall etc. Those guys have all been just as or very close to as impressive statistically speaking and are leading their teams to the postseason.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Honestly, McDavid isn't even in my top-5 for MVP. In no particular order- Kucherov, Kopitar, MacKinnon, Malkin, Hall would be my top 5.

Reactions: Iceman

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kucherov HAS been his teams best player all year. He's easily been the most consistent player on the Bolts from day 1. That's in line with what I've seen with my own two eyes and what most Tampa fans will tell you.

He might have been Tampa's best player, though I would disagree. He absolutely has not been their most valuable.

So, my belief is that he's the best player on Tampa in 2017-18 AND the team has been the best (or arguably so) in the NHL all year.

Ok, so you basically just think the league's MVP should be awarded to the leading scorer on the league's top team? Right now it's a dead heat between Kucherov and Viktor Arvidsson. This will go down to the wire!

Where was McDavid in the scoring race a few weeks back? You can't reward a guy who goes on a tear over the last 5-6 weeks of the season for a **** team. Period. A month ago Connor M's season was a pretty big disappointment on an individual level. It isn't now, because he's likely hitting 100 points again BUT he consistency should matter, among other things. And of course, how well a team shows matters.

You can't reward a guy who goes on a tear in March but you can reward a guy who went on one in October?

Kucherov had like 35 points in his first 20 games. As the games got tougher, his scoring has slowed down. Just because he has been the leading scorer all year doesn't mean he's been more consistent.

Give McDavid the Art Ross. Hell give him the Lindsay. But as far as the Hart goes, it should be down to guys like Kuch, MacKinnon, Malkin and to a lesser degree Rinne, Giroux, even Taylor Hall etc. Those guys have all been just as or very close to as impressive statistically speaking and are leading their teams to the postseason.

So, basically, you just want to give the Hart to the leading scorers of whatever team has a good season. Sounds like the MVP is a good player who's team mates just happened to helped him a lot that particular year....

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
So the league MVP is the leading scorer of a play-off team.... even if he is not that team's MVP.

To be fair, Kucherov is probably the lowest on that list for me. What Hall/MacK/Kopitar are doing is pretty nuts. They are my top , Malkin 4, Kucherov 5.

You seem pretty certain Kucherov isnt TB's MVP... I think he has been consistently the most impressive. So... different strokes, I guess.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To be fair, Kucherov is probably the lowest on that list for me. What Hall/MacK/Kopitar are doing is pretty nuts. They are my top , Malkin 4, Kucherov 5.

You seem pretty certain Kucherov isnt TB's MVP... I think he has been consistently the most impressive. So... different strokes, I guess.

Best player is not the same as most valuable. Both Vasilevskey and Hedman are more valuable to Tampa Bay this season. Kucherov and Stamkos are close 3rd and 4th.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Best player is not the same as most valuable. Both Vasilevskey and Hedman are more valuable to Tampa Bay this season. Kucherov and Stamkos are close 3rd and 4th.

Hedman maybe (their record when he was out gives that idea some merit), but Vasilevsky? He has some good stats, but I think that team would be fine with any above-average goaltender.

I just don't see McDavid as the most valuable player this year. He has a lot of points... cool. I also see his team constantly looking for him- that offense seems to be built on getting McDavid the puck, and then just waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad