ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Man the Habs are screwed. Price has a huge contract but not even close to playing up to it. Without that, they have no hope.

How could they have not foreseen this with this team? Why did they sign Price to that contract?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Man the Habs are screwed. Price has a huge contract but not even close to playing up to it. Without that, they have no hope.

How could they have not foreseen this with this team? Why did they sign Price to that contract?

Bergevin wanted to buy another year or two at the office.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal should hire me.Just like that.

Then once the dust is settle and everybody cried that they hired some 30-something complete unknown with no experience, I'd build the next dynasty.

Reactions: Iceman and Namba 17

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
At worst, I cannot do a worst job than Houle, Gainey and Bergevin.

Really, I literally couldn't.The odds are in my favor out-GM'ing the three of them.

Reactions: Iceman

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Trading Sergachev for Drouin.. another small forward to add to their collection of small forwards.

Completely f***ed up Galchenyuk's career. He probably needed to spend 1-2 years in the AHL, like Nylander.

Trade Subban for Weber, and then complain you have no puck moving defenseman.

What a disaster. Honestly this feels a lot like post-lockout Leafs, where they try to be competitive but everyone knows that it's going nowhere. Except they have a massive anchor with the Weber and Price contracts.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know people think I'm joking when I say I'd do a better job, but I'm not.I'm dead serious.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I know people think I'm joking when I say I'd do a better job, but I'm not.I'm dead serious.

Well, you are obviously a master trade negotiator in the ATD. No offense to you or anyone else, but I think you've easily robbed the most GMs in ATD history in trades. That would certainly help you a lot, and I think that's a really important skill.

Aside from that, just don't try to get too fancy at the draft table. Spend the appropriate money on scouting and trust their judgments. Spend the appropriate money on development personnel and don't rush players to the NHL if they're not ready, regardless of how badly you need them to be on the team.

A GM's job doesn't seem terribly complicated, to be honest. Your most useful asset as a GM is your ability to negotiate trades. You hire people to do just about everything else for you.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well, you are obviously a master trade negotiator in the ATD. No offense to you or anyone else, but I think you've easily robbed the most GMs in ATD history in trades. That would certainly help you a lot, and I think that's a really important skill.

Aside from that, just don't try to get too fancy at the draft table. Spend the appropriate money on scouting and trust their judgments. Spend the appropriate money on development personnel and don't rush players to the NHL if they're not ready, regardless of how badly you need them to be on the team.

A GM's job doesn't seem terribly complicated, to be honest. Your most useful asset as a GM is your ability to negotiate trades. You hire people to do just about everything else for you.

LOL well, ATD trading is not the same as NHL trading.OTOH I do have a lot of experience in negociation, since I sorta made a living buying and selling in my youth.It becomes second nature.You realize you need to grind well, but you also need to win the big moves else it just ruins all your other work as oppose to enhance it.Guess it's all obvious, but some people really screw up in the big moves.

This is why I argued in another thread that choosing Redden over Chara was a move worth being fired over, no matter how "understandable" it was at the time.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
LOL well, ATD trading is not the same as NHL trading.OTOH I do have a lot of experience in negociation, since I sorta made a living buying and selling in my youth.It becomes second nature.You realize you need to grind well, but you also need to win the big moves else it just ruins all your other work as oppose to enhance it.Guess it's all obvious, but some people really screw up in the big moves.

This is why I argued in another thread that choosing Redden over Chara was a move worth being fired over, no matter how "understandable" it was at the time.

Lol that move certainly looks stupid in hindsight right?

It would be interesting to see you be an NHL GM I guess. How long until nobody wants to trade with you because you keep ripping them off? LOL!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This is why you can't maximize your value all the time.Sometimes it's preferable to get a little less value to get more action later on.

The trades in modern NHL are a lot about cap management.

Trading is just one part of being GM anyway.

But what Houle, Gainey and Bergevin did with the on-ice product is not acceptable result.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A glance at the leaderboard...
  • William Karlsson 3rd in NHL goals (the Vegas effect in full force, he a substantial part of the whirlwind);
  • American Anders Lee with back-to-back 30-goal seasons (only Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov have done better);
  • American Brock Boeser top-10 in goals (a 20-year-old 1st rounder just one goal shy of 30);
  • Jakub Vracek & Blake Wheeler leading the league in assists (no Getzlaf, Thornton, Sedin in sight - time to retire guys);
  • Nathan MacKinnon finally and quietly having a career year top-10 in points (huh) ;
  • Aleksander Barkov's career year in points, postive media attention (bordering on hype) and league-leading shorthanded goal tallies might win him Selke votes;
  • M-A Fleury is 2nd in save percentage and goals against but his netminding is NOT the reason for the Knights success, as we did just fine for all those games he was injured, but the veteran might win Vezina votes all the same.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Trading Sergachev for Drouin.. another small forward to add to their collection of small forwards.

Completely ****ed up Galchenyuk's career. He probably needed to spend 1-2 years in the AHL, like Nylander.

Trade Subban for Weber, and then complain you have no puck moving defenseman.

What a disaster. Honestly this feels a lot like post-lockout Leafs, where they try to be competitive but everyone knows that it's going nowhere. Except they have a massive anchor with the Weber and Price contracts.

Not a Galchenyuk fan and don't think he's a center or a playoff type player.

McDonagh-PK sure would have looked nice...

Price is not the problem.

Go Maroons

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
There's a draft debate about the Habs going on. MB says they draft for "speed and character". In the past it's been 'skill and whatever'. Then when everyone complains, they draft a big guy who is missing a major skill. Got me wondering about the characteristics of the ATD 500. What categories do the players predominantly fall under? I'm guessing the Top 100 are mostly just incredible talents.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
i'm getting the *** out of here this friday night ghere but i have to say that IE guy has responded to my punchdrunk insult with a counter that stuns me... i feel like this avatar/icon/whatever icon: :ghost2:

Aghhh.................................

i'm into my firast bittle of absinthe ever and it's feisty like rum but with memory like wine and keen like herbal jarermeister stuff and and ...ah heck....

ImporterExporter sorry man whatever i said... everyone ele can go to

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
i'm getting the *** out of here this friday night ghere but i have to say that IE guy has responded to my punchdrunk insult with a counter that stuns me... i feel like this avatar/icon/whatever icon: :ghost2:

Aghhh.................................

i'm into my firast bittle of absinthe ever and it's feisty like rum but with memory like wine and keen like herbal jarermeister stuff and and ...ah heck....

ImporterExporter sorry man whatever i said... everyone ele can go to

No hard feelings Van. I had a feeling you probably got a bottle or 2 deep before sending over that haha.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Amazing how highly Crosby still places despite having a down year. This is the annual NHLPA player polls.

NHLPA Player Poll 2017-18

Crosby was tops in:

Toughest player to play against = 29.9% (McD was 2nd at 23.7%)
Which player is the best role model? = 33% (Toews a very distant 2nd at 9.6%)
Which forward is the most difficult to play against? = 30.4% (edges out McD by 0.3)
Who is the ebst team player? = 16.9% (Toews is 2nd at 11%)
If you need to win one game, who is the #1 player (regardless of position) you would want on your team? = 43.7% (Blows away 2nd place McD at 15.3%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad