ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Don't underestimate the Crosbyite love.

I was sick of it BEFORE his rookie season.

He is the Canadian hero of this century.

I never understood why people hate Crosby because of the hype. It's not his fault the media and fans put that kind of weight on his shoulders. The guy is the quintessential pro. Never hear a peep from him off the ice unless its him doing charitable and good deeds. He's developed into a tremendous captain over the years. Handled all the scrutiny and press in his face 24/7 with dignity and class. I have always enjoyed the player polls because it's squarely based on peer votes. I think you get a less biased view on how a group of people view a certain player or topic. More so than the pro writers association , IMHO.

I'm proud to see him dominate the leadership and clutch player category. It's something he's certainly EARNED in the past couple of years when you watch him as much as I do.

Reactions: tinyzombies

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Also, I still must point out #MalkinNOTtop100 playerever......thanks NH.com :laugh::help:

Guy could win his 3rd Art Ross and 2nd Hart. Plus with his playoff dominance it's an utter disgrace he was left off the top 100 list.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Man the Habs are screwed. Price has a huge contract but not even close to playing up to it. Without that, they have no hope.

How could they have not foreseen this with this team? Why did they sign Price to that contract?

NHLPA Player Poll 2017-18

What goalie is hardest to score against?

Carey Price - 41%
Jonathan Quick - 12.1%
Pekka Rinne - 9.3%
Bob - 8.2%
Holtby - 5%

Might want to tack this onto Price's bio since he gets zero love around here! ;)

And he came in a distant third, but still third as one player you'd pick to win one game, but only 7 percentage points behind McDavid.

Compared to other contracts, Price's contract is fair.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
-@TheDevilMadeMe asked me how disappointing McDavid's season was from an historical perspective some months ago when McDavid was outside the Top 10 in scoring, and I thought it was very disappointing for a player of his stature.Looks like he bounced back decently, now Top 3 in scoring.Nothing amazing for him, but not very disappointing neither anymore.

- Ovechkin another 40 goals season, still leading the Rocket Richard trophy.Ovechkin winning the Rocket is like Nadal winning Roland Garros; I regret not betting a lot of money every year on that, bad odds be damned.Not holding my breath for the playoffs.

- After this year, Malkin should comfortably go inside the Top 100 in the ATD.Closing the gap with Syl Apps more and more as a strict offensive center.Among strictly offensive centers, Malkin is probably 6th of all-time, after Gretzky, Lemieux, Esposito, Apps and Dionne.Maybe I forgot someone.Also depends how you view Taylor and Malone.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Kucherov (2 more goals today) or Malkin wins the Hart this year. I don't think anyone else is realistic. McDavid has been on a tear so he could still steal the Art Ross but the Oilers are a shit show. He won't get many votes otherwise because of that.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Kucherov (2 more goals today) or Malkin wins the Hart this year. I don't think anyone else is realistic. McDavid has been on a tear so he could still steal the Art Ross but the Oilers are a **** show. He won't get many votes otherwise because of that.

This year's voting will be interesting because they will be public.

The uneducated fan will go ballistic if McDavid doesn't win the Hart if he wins the Art Ross without realizing that bringing your team to the playoffs is a deal breaker when defining who is most valuable to their respective teams. The problem now becomes if the votes are public, will the voters chicken out and get the fans on their side by voting for the flavour of the month pick? Just like the Selke will probably go to Barkov over Bergeron or Kopitar, because he is the popular flavour right now. Not voting for a deserving Russian of choice (Kucherov, Malkin) won't break a sweat anywhere but on HFBoards.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This year's voting will be interesting because they will be public.

The uneducated fan will go ballistic if McDavid doesn't win the Hart if he wins the Art Ross without realizing that bringing your team to the playoffs is a deal breaker when defining who is most valuable to their respective teams. The problem now becomes if the votes are public, will the voters chicken out and get the fans on their side by voting for the flavour of the month pick? Just like the Selke will probably go to Barkov over Bergeron or Kopitar, because he is the popular flavour right now. Not voting for a deserving Russian of choice (Kucherov, Malkin) won't break a sweat anywhere but on HFBoards.

Why is missing the play-offs a deal-breaker when determining a player's "value?. Just because a team sucks doesn't mean any particular player isn't valuable. If we're just judging value rather than dominance, it would be almost impossible for a winger to score enough for me to list him as the most valuable player on his team. Who do you think Tampa Bay would rather give up, Kucherov or Hedman?

Pekka Rinne should actually get a serious look for Hart.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why is missing the play-offs a deal-breaker when determining a player's "value?. Just because a team sucks doesn't mean any particular player isn't valuable. If we're just judging value rather than dominance, it would be almost impossible for a winger to score enough for me to list him as the most valuable player on his team. Who do you think Tampa Bay would rather give up, Kucherov or Hedman?

Pekka Rinne should actually get a serious look for Hart.

Because history says so, not necessarily my opinion, but it would be really awkward with the first year of public votes, that a player of a non-playoff team wins it.

Either way, if making the playoffs or not shouldn't matter, it should just be given to the best player that specific year and so far, Kucherov has been that the longest this season.

Giving the trophy to the best player on the worst team seems to be the popular definition right now on HFBoards, but how is that even a thing? What passes as that and who doesn't?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Because history says so, not necessarily my opinion, but it would be really awkward with the first year of public votes, that a player of a non-playoff team wins it.

Either way, if making the playoffs or not shouldn't matter, it should just be given to the best player that specific year and so far, Kucherov has been that the longest this season.

Giving the trophy to the best player on the worst team seems to be the popular definition right now on HFBoards, but how is that even a thing? What passes as that and who doesn't?

Kucherov has been the leading scorer for the whole season. That doesn’t mean he has been the best player.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I think McDavid should get the Hart by default. It's the Stamkos-St. Louis situation all over again. If Kucherov deserves the Hart, then so does Stamkos, and Hedman. If Crosby deserves the Hart, then so does Malkin.

McDavid is on an island right now and he's doing everything he can and then some to keep his team above water. They're not making the playoffs but it would be about 50 times worse without McDavid playing the way he is right now.

After McDavid I'd probably go with Kucherov.. but Malkin is making it very, very interesting. I think Nathan MacKinnon probably deserves serious recognition too.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Depends if it should go to the best player or the most valuable, though neither one is Kucherov for me.

Who is the best player then? McDavid? I just have a tough time figuring out who people think should win the Hart.

If McDavid wins the Hart as 3rd in points, misses the playoffs and does not have the biggest gap in points to the 2nd highest producer on his team, what do you define the reason behind him winning it?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Kind of hard to be MVP when your team is going to be picking top 5-7 in all likehihood. I'm sorry but I'll never vote a player MVP who's the face of a losing team. And let's not pretend that Edmonton didn't make the postseason last year and had a decent run. They went from nearly being in the Conference finals to picking in the lottery again. McDavid doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Hart discussion. I don't care where he ends up in points. I'd say the same damn thing about a Penguins player as well if the roles were different.

Reactions: Iceman

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Kind of hard to be MVP when your team is going to be picking top 5-7 in all likehihood. I'm sorry but I'll never vote a player MVP who's the face of a losing team. And let's not pretend that Edmonton didn't make the postseason last year and had a decent run. They went from nearly being in the Conference finals to picking in the lottery again. McDavid doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Hart discussion. I don't care where he ends up in points. I'd say the same damn thing about a Penguins player as well if the roles were different.

They can thank Cam Talbot for last year. I think the Leafs would be in the same position this year without Andersen's overall excellent play.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I do think MacKinnon deserves votes. His PPG is best in the league and the Avs went from a dumpster fire to potential wild card. I remember he had a ton of hype coming out and never really hit the expectations. But damn if he isn't having a monster year.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I do think MacKinnon deserves votes. His PPG is best in the league and the Avs went from a dumpster fire to potential wild card. I remember he had a ton of hype coming out and never really hit the expectations. But damn if he isn't having a monster year.

Oh for sure. At least now.

He got way too much praise mid way through season after being completely off the radar and stringed together a few multi-point games to get into the top 10 from top 30 in points but then he got injured and got back and played even better.

He is giving Rantanen a decent contract too.

MacKinnon is most definitely in my top 3 for Hart.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
No G deserves it. I don't see a defensemen that has stood out head and shoulders above anyone else.

To me it's Kucherov, Malkin and MacKinnon. Kuch has been the best player all year on Tampa, Malkin has carried Pittsburgh for most of the year while Sid's had a "down" year and Mac is having a monster year leading a previously shit team in Colorado to a possible playoff berth.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No G deserves it. I don't see a defensemen that has stood out head and shoulders above anyone else.

To me it's Kucherov, Malkin and MacKinnon. Kuch has been the best player all year on Tampa, Malkin has carried Pittsburgh for most of the year while Sid's had a "down" year and Mac is having a monster year leading a previously **** team in Colorado to a possible playoff berth.

Drew Doughty has probably been the best defenseman, and I agree he shouldn't be a Hart candidate.

Pekke Rinne, on the other hand, probably should be a Hart candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad