ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know how VI was serious when he asked his question... I mean... The absolute weakest player I can think of who achieved that since 1926 is.... WITHOUT LOOKING SO I MIGHT BE OFF... Max Bentley.

I'm a very long-time vet, but Bentley is a low-end 1st C in absolute terms.

EDIT : Actually, Max didn't do that (but came damn close), but Doug Bentley did. Again, not active anymore, but Doug Bentley is a 1st liner. There might have been worse players than Bentley who achived that, but I doubt it.

EDIT2 : I'm pretty certain that the low-end of 5xTop5G/2xTop5A is weaker than the 2xTop5G/5xTop5A.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So OV has officially backed down from his stance about the Olympics.

http://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-grudgingly-accepts-olympic-absence-1.857257

It was probably futile anyways - apparently the IIHF has told the NHL that it would not allow players under NHL contracts to play in the Olympics even if they went.

I wonder how all of this is going to affect negotiations for China. I imagine the IOC will be able to drag the NHL by the balls because of how badly they reportedly want to be there.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It was probably futile anyways - apparently the IIHF has told the NHL that it would not allow players under NHL contracts to play in the Olympics even if they went.

It wasn't futile until that happened. I would have applauded Ovechkin for taking a stand and going.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It wasn't futile until that happened. I would have applauded Ovechkin for taking a stand and going.

True. As much as I'm sure they would have loved to stick it to the NHL and allow the players to go if they wanted to, I doubt they could afford the political disaster that would have been. That would have seriously damaged their negotiating position for China.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So OV has officially backed down from his stance about the Olympics.

http://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-grudgingly-accepts-olympic-absence-1.857257

I wonder how all of this is going to affect negotiations for China. I imagine the IOC will be able to drag the NHL by the balls because of how badly they reportedly want to be there.

Mr Fasel made it sound like he didn't want the NHL in 2022 since they aren't going this year but ultimately that will depend if A) The players opt out of the CBA and make Olympic participation part of a new one and B) How much money they make this time around.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If you hear the dumb statement: "Marleau is a notorious slow starter" then dismiss it out of hand. If anything, due to his physical preparedness in committed offseason training, he has a strong start then wanes for a while then picks up again (call him "streaky" but the season most often begins with a hot streak!).

In October:

2005-06. 13 points in 12 games in oct.
2006-07. 13 points in 13 games in oct.
2008-09. 9 points in 10 games in oct.
2009-10. 19 points in 14 games in oct.:amazed:
2010-11. 11 points in 9 games in oct.
2011-12. 8 points in 10 games in oct.
2012-13. 14 points in 7 games in jan (shortened season).:amazed:
2013-14. 15 points in 13 games in oct.
2014-15. 12 points in 12 points in oct.

That's 9 of his last 12 seasons averaging about a point per game or more, certainly not less than his seasonal averages!

Yeah, last season he had only 3 points in his first 9 games, but that was unusual for him, nothing "notorious" in terms of habit.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
They *did* warn us to save things we didn't want to lose.

That being said, this new forum is hideous.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wow I don't understand how anyone can look at the old version and not prefer it to this garbage.This might be the death of the good sections of hfboards like ATD and HOH.Or maybe it's just me and my natural tendency to dislike change.

Everything is white, there's no contrast and it's annoying to the eyes.If we really lost many posts, this place should never be trusted again for any serious work.

Edit: So they did warn us? When was that? This sucks.Wow.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I blame the freaking smart phones.Those things killed the internet.

Now get off my lawn.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Wow I don't understand how anyone can look at the old version and not prefer it to this garbage.This might be the death of the good sections of hfboards like ATD and HOH.Or maybe it's just me and my natural tendency to dislike change.

Everything is white, there's no contrast and it's annoying to the eyes.If we really lost many posts, this place should never be trusted again for any serious work.

Edit: So they did warn us? When was that? This sucks.Wow.

It was a small notice that could barely be seen right above the forum thread titles, but it was there. We also lost some posts in this thread, but I think the last couple before the migration had someone mention the same thing, that some posts could be lost.

Yeah, all this white makes it a little hard to follow.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Everything is moving toward the app based web design mainly due to smart phones (BB nailed it), which sucks. I'm more or less done with the site now. This is beyond terrible. Some of us still prefer actually laptops and computers to do our home browsing.

Not much notice either. Incredible amount of work lost....Hfboards is going to lose A LOT of traffic IMO.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
IE, what work was lost?

from what I can tell, everything is still there, but it needs to be linked to properly. Is there something you've identified as actually being gone?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I just took a look at a few of my bios from this year, and they're absolutely butchered. Everything is there, but dates are missing from quote tags, tables don't work, and apostrophes didn't get transferred over correctly.

This should be a big slap in the face to all of us, that this place that we use to compile all our valuable research (for a few of us, what we'd call our life's work) is not our own and is not stable. It can change on us in a heartbeat, with little to no warning.

We need to implement a plan, very soon, in which all of our research is copied from this site and moved over to a more secure location where we can be sure it won't be further butchered.

I feel the immediate need to go through all my bios, click edit, copy them to word files in their entirety, and start fixing all the issues with them. I really should have had every individual bio saved in a word file all along - why the hell haven't I done that before? These are my children. The amount of hours I've put into them all is incalculable and it would be thoroughly devastating to me to lose this work or find out it's for nothing.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I just took a look at a few of my bios from this year, and they're absolutely butchered. Everything is there, but dates are missing from quote tags, tables don't work, and apostrophes didn't get transferred over correctly.

This should be a big slap in the face to all of us, that this place that we use to compile all our valuable research (for a few of us, what we'd call our life's work) is not our own and is not stable. It can change on us in a heartbeat, with little to no warning.

We need to implement a plan, very soon, in which all of our research is copied from this site and moved over to a more secure location where we can be sure it won't be further butchered.

I feel the immediate need to go through all my bios, click edit, copy them to word files in their entirety, and start fixing all the issues with them. I really should have had every individual bio saved in a word file all along - why the hell haven't I done that before? These are my children. The amount of hours I've put into them all is incalculable and it would be thoroughly devastating to me to lose this work or find out it's for nothing.

Good post.I feel stupid not saving everything.I thought about it many times too.

I agree this is a slap in the face.This place won't ever be the same for me.We need to store everything, and probably consider moving the community somewhere else too, but that's another story.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Everything is moving toward the app based web design mainly due to smart phones (BB nailed it), which sucks. I'm more or less done with the site now. This is beyond terrible. Some of us still prefer actually laptops and computers to do our home browsing.

Not much notice either. Incredible amount of work lost....Hfboards is going to lose A LOT of traffic IMO.

Bolded #1 & 2: Yes, and it kills the internet.Sure, it's convenient to have online access from your phone when you're not home, but that's to consume content, not create it, and the internet is a two-way street.Creating in-depth content requires you to have a PC or laptop.If everyone is on mobile you have an incredible amount of superficial noise burying the good content.

Speaking of the death of the internet, it's increasingly frustrating to search on google and the likes.I type combinations of words and all I get is uninformative and irrelevent articles from big sites like Forbes or any freaking UK news site.As far as I can recall, it wasn't like this circa 2003-2011.

Bolded #3: I doubt they lose much traffic.This will only hurt the old farts like us in the ATD and HOH sections, who were naive enough to engage in and store a decade of work (including all the conversations) in a place they didn't own.

Reactions: seventieslord

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This will only hurt the old farts like us in the ATD and HOH sections, who were naive enough to engage in and store a decade of work (including all the conversations) in a place they didn't own.

Exactly. Naive is exactly the word. And lazy. I can't say I was 100% naive to this possibility, but like climate change, I always thought I'd do something about it next year, then the year after that, and so on.

I don't think we need to outright leave hfboards - this is our home, and getting everyone to agree on a new place is going to be a challenge, and for better or worse, our history is all here, and can never be moved it its entirety. But, we should take all of our important work and make sure it's copied to somewhere else - even if that "somewhere else" is just the PCs of a few trusted longtime members, who can restore it somewhere online in an apocalypse situation.

Hmm, is there a good reason why we couldn't just get a copy of the databases that make up the HOH and ATD sections?

Reactions: MadArcand

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Hmm, is there a good reason why we couldn't just get a copy of the databases that make up the HOH and ATD sections?
Pretty sure the DBs don't store data based on subfora - a thread will only have a flag marking it as belonging to a particular subforum, but that's it.

Of course, they *could* make a select based on that and dump the resulting data into a new table somewhere, but to get it all into a usable form afterwards wouldn't be totally simple.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
@VanIslander @BenchBrawl @ImporterExporter @ResilientBeast Never again does one need to PM the next person. Welcome to the 21st century, guys.

@seventieslord (Yes.. this is a feature now!)

It looks to me like the new forum software was a necessary change, bringing a lot of new functionality that simply didn't exist before. That is a good thing.

Now, the admins of HFBoards were never under any obligation to us ATDers with respect to preserving our work. They *warned* us that a lot of things could break, and while the actual notice was only a few days, it was still plenty of time for us to copy over whatever work we wanted to make sure we didn't lose in some form.

Given enough time (and hopefully a few extra forum themes.. this obsession with white is driving me crazy), we'll all get used to this.

I also feel compelled to point out to @seventieslord that you, above all of us, should have been ready for the switch over after what happened at the old Leafs forum many moons ago. A *lot* more was lost back then, relatively speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad