ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In case anyone else is lurking and interested, just let us know and we'll teach ya the handshake!

PM correspondence from the last 10 minutes...

29GoalHoglund said:
VanIslander said:
I'll make sure to PM you when the next one comes up.

Note: the minor league draft (the best players not drafted in the main ATD) is ending now and there will be a month of playoffs.

In the fall there will be a AAA 2017 draft of all-time greats not in this year's ATD 2017 & MLD 2017 (e.g., no one drafted Craig Janney yet he was four times top-10 in assists, Rangers great dman Ron Greschner, Habs like Georges Mantha, Johnny Gagnon and several great Soviets like Gusev, Drozdetsky, Romishevsky and some interesting emerging all-time resumes like Pacioretty's last 6-year goal scoring stretch and now Bobrovsky's two Vezina trophies. It should be interesting to consider options from every era of all-time hockey greats!

Next January we'll be having ATD 2018 with the Orr, Gretzky, Howe, etc kicking off a new year!

I'll drop you a line when AAA 2017 and ATD 2018 are approaching. :) In the meantime, check out the board, it's resources, like http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1782311 (especially the ATD Bios - The Master Thread

Thank you! Look forward to participating in the AAAone.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Do any of you follow any recently popularized sports, like Ultimate, perhaps?

If so, got any perspective on how the very best players in those sports (both Jonathan Helton and Beau Kittredge are two-time MVPs in the AUDL) stack up as athletes against Russell Bowie, Hod Stuart, or even earlier players?

I got thinking about it while attending The World Cup of Tiddly last weekend, which is an arcane sport played only in Newfoundland, though a similar game apparently exists in Yemen (I'm not making this up). Now, while Tiddly is in no danger of rivalling Ultimate as an up and coming spectacle, it's only been in recent years that the town of Carbonear has organized a formal event and publicized the game - up until then it had all but disappeared in the modern day.

Both here and on the HOH board, we often debate about when truly competitive hockey began, and when you can start taking historical achievements seriously. It may help gain some perspective by comparing it to the sports that are crawling up from the primordial muck before our eyes.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You know how we've always been looking at ways to tweak the voting process?

What if we opened voting to select/respected members of the HoH section? Hidden seedings with people outside the draft, who actually know hockey history might elicit some different overall patterns.

Just a thought.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The hidden seedings thing overall became more trouble than it was worth, it lead to a playoff format that some people were put off by and ultimately all the 1 seeds made it the conference finals.

Maybe something could be done but we explored different ideas last fall when you weren't around and the hidden seedings was thought to be the best. But it just confirmed that for the most part everyone knows who the best teams are

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Only GMs who actively follow the draft should vote, otherwise you don't even know what you're voting on.

Seventieslord convinced me to vote in this year's draft without following it at all... and while an interesting experiment, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Ex-GMs who actively follow and comment on the draft have always been allowed to vote. Maybe extend it to posters who haven't had past teams, but I still think they should at least follow the draft they are voting on.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Fair enough, I figured it wouldn't be hard to convey the ATD particulars and folks who have been long standing and reputable members on the HoH forum (like a Killion, Theokritos, MXD, etc) would add an element which has always lacked in voting.

I mean it's always been essentially GM's who vote. But what are we voting on? Well, of course, who we believe would prevail in each match up. I don't think that is too much to ask from the reputable people in the history section.

We want to involve more people. This is one way to do it. Obviously getting more GM's would be ideal but allowing people who clearly have shown a certain level of hockey history knowledge, to vote isn't a terrible idea IMO.

Just my .02

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I already couldn't stand Dellow (been a cocky **** for years) and this popped up on my TL and this just shows you he's full of himself and his ****** writing.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I followed the link and saw that the Athletic was having a $3/month sale, so I decided to try it out.
Definitely not what Voight intended by posting that :laugh:

As for the writer himself...well...Dellow's gonna Dellow. I also enjoy Kanye West's music, so sue me.

So, now that I've got an Athletic subscription, I'm set up following the Leafs, Jays and Raptors, FC and Argos, as well as national NHL coverage. Now, while I've always really enjoyed watching football (or handegg, if you want to go that way), I've never really settled on an NFL team to follow and call my own?

Anybody want to suggest one for me? (VanIslander can suggest 6 if he wants)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I followed the link and saw that the Athletic was having a $3/month sale, so I decided to try it out.
Definitely not what Voight intended by posting that :laugh:

As for the writer himself...well...Dellow's gonna Dellow. I also enjoy Kanye West's music, so sue me.

So, now that I've got an Athletic subscription, I'm set up following the Leafs, Jays and Raptors, FC and Argos, as well as national NHL coverage. Now, while I've always really enjoyed watching football (or handegg, if you want to go that way), I've never really settled on an NFL team to follow and call my own?

Anybody want to suggest one for me? (VanIslander can suggest 6 if he wants)

Would laugh so hard if you're next status on fb is a picture of you getting served :laugh:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just 2 times top-5 in regular season goals
and 5 times top-5 in regular season assists

Where would you rank a player like that?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Where did he finish in points compared to his peers?
Did he provide anything other than scoring?
How did he do in the playoffs?

Agree... Not nearly enough info here.

Assuming this is a post-ww2 player, even if you assume the absolute worst about him, this is certainly an ATD caliber player, and almost certainly scoring line. Being able to place that highly in both goals and assists, whether in the same seasion or not, is an incredibly rare ability, probably much rarer than vanislander realized when he posted this (I assume he's not too impressed with this player)

Also, i realize that whoever this is, their points finished are probably far more impressive that their components (goals and assists) which is obviously why vi didn't mention points :laugh:

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yes, more context is definitely needed. Like, for example, those two "top 5" finishes in goals were both 1sts. And those "top 5" finishes in assists were 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd. And of course, as we all knew (we did all know this was presented to us in a misleading way, right?), they had eight top-5 finishes in points (1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3) and 11 consecutive seasons top-5 in points per game.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Would laugh so hard if you're next status on fb is a picture of you getting served :laugh:

By the estate of Taylor Swift, I assume.

The New England Patriots have few dull moments lately.

Y'know, that's sort of the issue with me and having an NFL team.
I first got really interested in football at Mount Allison, with a residence room overlooking MacCauley Field, and a huge Pats fan down the hall, who I'd play Madden with, and would generally fill me in on details I would miss otherwise. It was 2003, so the dynasty was just starting, and we had a big get together with nachos and wings and the whole deal for the super bowl, and they won on a field goal with 4 seconds left, and everything was awesome. So you'd think I'd be hooked.
But it just hasn't taken. I don't know if it's the constant sort-of-cheating scandals, or feeling like a big front-runner for choosing the Yankees of football, or even Tom Brady's fondness for Donald Trump (not to make this political, but we're talking about personal preferences here), but I don't think I'm a Pat, and I don't think the Pats are me.
Still accepting pitches for me to join the fold elsewhere.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Players with at least two top-5 goals finishes and at least two top-5 assists finishes since expansion:

Gretzky
Esposito
Lemieux
Jagr
Dionne
Lafleur
Trottier
Sakic
Yzerman

....I think that's all. that's all, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad