ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
@VanIslander @BenchBrawl @ImporterExporter @ResilientBeast Never again does one need to PM the next person. Welcome to the 21st century, guys.

@seventieslord (Yes.. this is a feature now!)

It looks to me like the new forum software was a necessary change, bringing a lot of new functionality that simply didn't exist before. That is a good thing.

Now, the admins of HFBoards were never under any obligation to us ATDers with respect to preserving our work. They *warned* us that a lot of things could break, and while the actual notice was only a few days, it was still plenty of time for us to copy over whatever work we wanted to make sure we didn't lose in some form.

Given enough time (and hopefully a few extra forum themes.. this obsession with white is driving me crazy), we'll all get used to this.

I also feel compelled to point out to @seventieslord that you, above all of us, should have been ready for the switch over after what happened at the old Leafs forum many moons ago. A *lot* more was lost back then, relatively speaking.

The mods have known about this for months and I heard for the most part the ATD board would be safe

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm also fairly sure I can't endorse moving our group somewhere else. The bio thread will be fixed and updated when I get some time

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The mods have known about this for months and I heard for the most part the ATD board would be safe

The problems with bio formatting and etc. were predictable anyways. A lot of formatting is done through tags and if the new software doesn't use the same system, stuff will break.

I think we ALL knew about this for some time already as well. Remember we had that discussion a while back about creating a mega bio repository and I think it was you that mentioned there would be new software installed at some point?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The problems with bio formatting and etc. were predictable anyways. A lot of formatting is done through tags and if the new software doesn't use the same system, stuff will break.

I think we ALL knew about this for some time already as well. Remember we had that discussion a while back about creating a mega bio repository and I think it was you that mentioned there would be new software installed at some point?

I mentioned it yea, I wanted to see what it looked like before anything was decided upon.

I'm in the process of building a few new stickies. It looks like we have all our threads which is great, just the link formatting has changed so they've been lost to time.

I'll also be going through all the bios and building searchable pdfs which should help preserve what we can in the off chance more things break. I had some work to do today but I'll be doing this first lol

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Exactly. Naive is exactly the word. And lazy. I can't say I was 100% naive to this possibility, but like climate change, I always thought I'd do something about it next year, then the year after that, and so on.

I don't think we need to outright leave hfboards - this is our home, and getting everyone to agree on a new place is going to be a challenge, and for better or worse, our history is all here, and can never be moved it its entirety. But, we should take all of our important work and make sure it's copied to somewhere else - even if that "somewhere else" is just the PCs of a few trusted longtime members, who can restore it somewhere online in an apocalypse situation.

Hmm, is there a good reason why we couldn't just get a copy of the databases that make up the HOH and ATD sections?

No it's not, what happened is a case in point.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm sorry but you're implying things are being done just to make our lives more difficult and that's just not the case

I'm not implying anything other than this is not our home.I'm not paranoid, I don't think we're that important to the site.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm not implying anything other than this is not our home.I'm not paranoid, I don't think we're that important to the site.

1) the bigger **** you would've been if we were pruned. But as far as I can see we've lost nothing. Most forums were trimmed to I think 2012. So the fact that the HOH and ATD were spared is great

2) They aren't going to treat us specially since we do some interesting hockey related research. Ultimately this is a group of 30-40 people and when it comes to stuff like this they need to cater to as many people as possible.

Regarding my points together we've lost nothing and gained a bunch of functionality that will make things run smoother. Sure it will require some rebuilding but that's fine by me.

I've relinked all old bio threads in the new sticky I'm building, I'll try and track down the original bio master thread now

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
@VanIslander @BenchBrawl @ImporterExporter @ResilientBeast Never again does one need to PM the next person. Welcome to the 21st century, guys.

@seventieslord (Yes.. this is a feature now!)

It looks to me like the new forum software was a necessary change, bringing a lot of new functionality that simply didn't exist before. That is a good thing.

Now, the admins of HFBoards were never under any obligation to us ATDers with respect to preserving our work. They *warned* us that a lot of things could break, and while the actual notice was only a few days, it was still plenty of time for us to copy over whatever work we wanted to make sure we didn't lose in some form.

Given enough time (and hopefully a few extra forum themes.. this obsession with white is driving me crazy), we'll all get used to this.

I also feel compelled to point out to @seventieslord that you, above all of us, should have been ready for the switch over after what happened at the old Leafs forum many moons ago. A *lot* more was lost back then, relatively speaking.

What? No. Nothing was lost. We had no important research stored there.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
1) the bigger **** you would've been if we were pruned. But as far as I can see we've lost nothing. Most forums were trimmed to I think 2012. So the fact that the HOH and ATD were spared is great

2) They aren't going to treat us specially since we do some interesting hockey related research. Ultimately this is a group of 30-40 people and when it comes to stuff like this they need to cater to as many people as possible.

Regarding my points together we've lost nothing and gained a bunch of functionality that will make things run smoother. Sure it will require some rebuilding but that's fine by me.

I've relinked all old bio threads in the new sticky I'm building, I'll try and track down the original bio master thread now

Thanks for your hard work!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

1) I haven't verified if we lost anything completely, but the tables are not working anymore and this whole thing makes me nervous.

2) That's the point.They won't do us any favors.We spend hours and hours working on something and its fate is in the hands of people we don't know and people that won't do us any favors.

You seem to think I'm blaming them or something.I'm not.I see it as a cold entity that doesn't have any feelings or opinions towards what we do.An entity that just operates for its own good.This is fine.But do I want this entity to have control over my work? The answer is no.That's my point, nothing else.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The master thread is broken because the link formatting has changed. I've found all the bio threads except 2011 and they are "somewhat" intact and will start building a new bio thread shortly

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

That's great, but the content in the bios has been butchered too.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As I mentioned, dates missing from quote tags... And apostrophes turned into some multi character code

Okay so it looks like the information is all still present it just was delimited by the comma. Because I think I can see all the dates for newspaper quotes when I edit. So the information is all still there.

I've asked about tables and hopefully will have an answer soon

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's just a different code.

tags still work, but now an entire row will be wrapped in [/ TR] tags and inside THOSE tags will be to separate the same way the " | " did on the previous host.

So:

TestTest 2Test 3
testtest 2test 3
Code:
[table][TR][TH]Test[/TH][TH]Test 2[/TH][TH]Test 3[/TH][/TR]
[TR][TH]test[/TH][TH]test 2[/th][TH]test 3[/th][/tr][/table]

Here is the change in table formatting

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The bio thread is on page 2 isn't it?

Yup my bad just found it, I think I've found the difference in link formatting.

It appears that they've changed the max characters per post. But I should be able to have the "new" old master bio thread up and running again by the end of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad