Atd#7 Minor League Draft

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Springfield is sad to see Tumba go. Luckily however, the offensive centre spot is one of the more easily replaceable positions in this draft, and a guy we had discussed earlier is still around. As his replacement, we select a young man who has quickly established himself as one of the best offensive players in the NHL, with over a PPG in both the regular season and playoffs and a career +70:

Jason Spezza

Did no one all ready take him? I was sure he had been.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I suspected he might have been gone too, but I can't find him listed anywhere in either of the drafts...

Spezza's still available, we had him on our short list but grabbed Bullard instead.

GBC and I made a point of selecting defensmen first as they're in short supply, trying to find one now is excruciating. Not real enamoured with whats left.

Estevan needs a good pk defensman and with that select: Kjell Samuelsson

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I think Samuelsson is already gone, isn't he? Upon close inspection, he was taken by you in the 2nd round...I'm so confused, lol

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think Samuelsson is already gone, isn't he? Upon close inspection, he was taken by you in the 2nd round...I'm so confused, lol
Yeah, and actually, he's property of Estevan.

This is a croc. We just lost our top pick, our no. 1 defenceman, and a guy with two years of experience playing in our barn, to a technicality. Now we have to find a player who's nowhere near as good as Watson.

This is supposed to be a fun draft, but crap like this takes really puts a damper on it.

Pick coming soon.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Neith Houle or Kozlov are top line players, so to replace the loss of Goldsworthy, Windsor will pick up free agent RW Marian Gaborik

4 30+ goal seasons
331 points in 408 career games
21 points including 12 goals in 23 playoff games
2003 all-star game
Has represented Slovakia in the 2004 World Cup, 2006 Olympics, and 4 World Championships

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Replacement pick.

Time for recovery. The Estevan Strippers are pleased to select a hard-shooting, physical defenceman who holds the record for most power play goals in a season: D Sheldon Souray.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Picks are all made. :handclap:
Captaincy and special teams are all set. :handclap:
Call-up player replacements all done. :handclap:

We are ready for the regular season voting!

** every g.m. (and every HFBoards hockey nut/past ATD g.m.s) can VOTE **

Between now and Thursday (via PM to me):

(1) RANK the teams from 1 to 10 (leave your team OUT of the rankings please)
(2) IDENTIFY the ONE best performing player for EACH of the ten other teams (all-star voting)
(3) IDENTIFY 1 to 3 great powerplay teams and 1 to 3 great penalty kill teams (see post at end of roster thread: if you choose more than one, then rank them)

I will handle the regular season rankings, all star voting and special team units but - for the playoffs - we should get an independent outsider to tabulate the playoff results. Because fairness is as much about appearing to do the right thing as it is doing it, so to remove any possibility of conflict of interest, let's go outside. Perhaps BM67 or John Flyers Fan or Nalyd Psycho or another past ATD g.m. I'll PM these guys and see.

Also, by Thursday, vote on which option for playoff format you'd want, A or B

(4) VOTE on playoff format option

Option A: The standard format: the top-8 ranked teams from the regular season make the playoffs and play a simple three-round championship, 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.

Option B: The tourney format: The top seed after the regular season sits out the first round and all ten other teams square off (#2 vs. #11, #3 vs. #10, etc) in the first round. In the second round, the six remaining teams square off. In the third round, a tourney of the three remaining teams, round robin format (A vs. B, A vs. C, B vs. C) with the top two teams playing again in the championship final (first tiebreaker if needed is number of votes, second is number of call-up players, third is OT re-voting).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Note: of course no all-star votes will go to call-up team members as they won't be around until the playoffs!

Get everything in by Thursday sometime, sooner the better.

The playoffs are tentatively set to begin Friday
(each playoff round will be at least 5 days, to accommodate our busy summer lives).

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
The Penticton Vees are pleased to select, after much deliberation, its head coach Billy Reay, the definitive player's coach whose character is demonstrated by the photo below and the fact that - as a player himself in an earlier era - he started the practice of raising the hockey stick after scoring a goal. Read the bottom write-up on his coaching style.

29.jpg

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14087

http://www.ahiha.org/articles.asp?ID=24&Path=T1,0003
Trouble withh Billy reay is that he never won the cup despite having a team with the most talent.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Trouble withh Billy reay is that he never won the cup despite having a team with the most talent.
Damn Canadiens stood in his way!

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1965 (Habs Beliveau Conn Smythe winner)
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1971 (Habs Dryden Conn Smythe winner)

and

Game 6 Stanley Cup Finals in 1973 (Habs Conn Smythe Cournoyer, league +/- leader Habs Laperriere and while the Hawks had no first team all-stars, the Habs had three first team all-stars that season: Dryden, Lapointe, Mahovlich)

As a coach he could be held on par with any two- or three-time Cup winner. Anyone who attributes coaching as the difference in game seven of a championship final is espousing a minority opinion. The coach got them there, the all-time great players make the difference.

As a regular season coach he's one of the best in this draft and should be only a plus in reflecting on regular season ranking when you vote.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Damn Canadiens stood in his way!

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1965 (Habs Beliveau Conn Smythe winner)
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 1971 (Habs Dryden Conn Smythe winner)

and

Game 6 Stanley Cup Finals in 1973 (Habs Conn Smythe Cournoyer, league +/- leader Habs Laperriere and while the Hawks had no first team all-stars, the Habs had three first team all-stars that season: Dryden, Lapointe, Mahovlich)

As a coach he could be held on par with any two- or three-time Cup winner. Anyone who attributes coaching as the difference in game seven of a championship final is espousing a minority opinion. The coach got them there, the all-time great players make the difference.

As a regular season coach he's one of the best in this draft and should be only a plus in reflecting on regular season ranking when you vote.
Maybe I am too critical but those 60's Blackhawk teams were loaded & should have won a couple of more cups. If you have the talent but don't win, then you gotta blame the coach. Reay probly deserves to be picked at this point but he is not up there wiith Blake & Im;ach.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Two g.m.s have completed their voting already. :handclap:

Between now and Thursday (via PM to me):

(1) RANK the teams from 1 to 10 (leave your team OUT of the rankings please)
(2) IDENTIFY the ONE best performing player for EACH of the ten other teams (all-star voting)
(3) IDENTIFY 1 to 3 great powerplay teams and 1 to 3 great penalty kill teams (see post at end of roster thread: if you choose more than one, then rank them)

Also, by Thursday, vote on which option for playoff format you'd want, A or B

(4) VOTE on playoff format option

Option A: The standard format: the top-8 ranked teams from the regular season make the playoffs and play a simple three-round championship, 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.

Option B: The tourney format: The top seed after the regular season sits out the first round and all ten other teams square off (#2 vs. #11, #3 vs. #10, etc) in the first round. In the second round, the six remaining teams square off. In the third round, a tourney of the three remaining teams, round robin format (A vs. B, A vs. C, B vs. C) with the top two teams playing again in the championship final (first tiebreaker if needed is number of votes, second is number of call-up players, third is OT re-voting).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'd choose these four minor league drafted coaches over these four main league drafted coaches:

From Atd#7 Minor League Draft: Hitchcock, Tarasov, Reay, Quinn

From ATD#7 Main Draft: Keenan, Maurice, Nolan, Ruff

Of course, taking into account coaching styles is important. Keenan is a cancer long term and keeps getting fired, but his intense style is a short term fix. That damn game 7 3-2 win by the Rangers earns Keenan a place in history he doesn't deserve, over the four aforementioned minor league drafted coaches. And, while Nolan is a player's coach and gets the most from his boys, is he as good as Hitchcock or Reay? He, and Ruff, certainly haven't shown as much as some coaches who were available for the minor league draft. I'm a Nolan fan, but in an all-time context, he is still a few years away in terms of deserving recognition among the best (though I believe in his potential!).

At the very least, the 28-team main draft could be extended to 32 teams (one more per division) with no loss in coaching quality, eh?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd choose these four minor league drafted coaches over these four main league drafted coaches:

From Atd#7 Minor League Draft: Hitchcock, Tarasov, Reay, Quinn

From ATD#7 Main Draft: Keenan, Maurice, Nolan, Ruff

Of course, taking into account coaching styles is important. Keenan is a cancer long term and keeps getting fired, but his intense style is a short term fix. That damn game 7 3-2 win by the Rangers earns Keenan a place in history he doesn't deserve, over the four aforementioned minor league drafted coaches. And, while Nolan is a player's coach and gets the most from his boys, is he as good as Hitchcock or Reay? He, and Ruff, certainly haven't shown as much as some coaches who were available for the minor league draft. I'm a Nolan fan, but in an all-time context, he is still a few years away in terms of deserving recognition among the best (though I believe in his potential!).

At the very least, the 28-team main draft could be extended to 32 teams (one more per division) with no loss in coaching quality, eh?

Well, maybe... With 32 teams, I'm afraid there's a shortage of goaltenders... You had the idea of making play the winner of the MLD cup against and 7th seed of the ATD -- The best team have absolutely no chance in hell for the sole reason of goaltending alone.

If I remember well, the goalies of the 7th seeds were Esposito, Vernon/Connell, Holocek and... Turk Broda.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If I remember well, the goalies of the 7th seeds were Esposito, Vernon/Connell, Holocek and... Turk Broda.
Esposito could tank it ;)

Yeah, goaltending in the minor league draft wouldn't be great starters against all-time competition but several would make good backups!

Reggie Lemelin is the Vees backup but he was drafted in some previous all-time drafts as a solid backup as he's a quality tandem partner, he has had a lot of success even in the playoffs in a part-time, tandem role. The Hockey News in 1989 ranked Moog-Lemelin as together giving one of the best goaltending in the league, and that was the season before they won the Jennings trophy.

And surely at least FOUR of these backups from ATD#7 teams could become starters (or part of effective tandems): Dzurilla, Hextall, Barrasso, Peters, Liut, Giacomin, Chabot, Vanbiesbrouck, Moog, Resch, Rollins, Lumley, Crozier, Vezina, Worters, Khabibulin, Wregget, Karakus, Kolzig, Lindbergh.

Moreover, we saw plenty of playoff match-ups in ATD#7 go to the team with the lesser goaltending.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We've had interest in helping out from John Flyers Fan and BM67.

We're set. :)

They're the dons of alltime draft administration, the big kahunas, the dudes! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad