ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In a bigger draft this would've been a solid looking second line, but we need a pointman for our second unit PP and want our fourth line to be dangerous offensively. I guess we'll be the ones to take the best offensive winger since Dye (?)

Ilya Kovalchuk, LW/RW

1-ilya.jpg

And to center him, Igor Larionov, C

normal.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rmartin65

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They did run into 2 of the weakest cup finalists in recent memory but he still had to get the team going after the sweep by Columbus.
I mean - he doesn't decide his opponents. And he took out a Presidents trophy winning Boston team in route to the first one, and a murderer's row of Florida/Carolina/NYI for the second.

It's not his fault the WC sucks. No different than Bowman getting Philly and Washington b2b.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I mean - he doesn't decide his opponents. And he took out a Presidents trophy winning Boston team in route to the first one, and a murderer's row of Florida/Carolina/NYI for the second.

It's not his fault the WC sucks. No different than Bowman getting Philly and Washington b2b.

Yeah after I made that comment I looked at the bracket and the ride to the two cup finals wasn't easy

And like I'd mentioned already coming back from the sweep is a nice piece as well

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kovy is a finicky prick...

In Atlanta... Hossa was a god at home games... Kovy was booed.

I cannot think of a more talented piece of ****.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey

I think that's a pretty apt comparison. Those Wings teams and the recent Bolts teams feel similarly powerful, and I think it's a similar combination of a stacked roster and a coach that knows how to handle that.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Let's give IE and PW a one-time waiver of their -2 hours to sort out the current trade kerfuffle. Ok?

On another note, I wouldn't mind trading down 5-10 spots from my rapidly approaching pick!

Sort out what exactly? There has been 1 veto and no one else has made a call.

Shall we expect a decision on this any time today?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Kovy is a finicky prick...

In Atlanta... Hossa was a god at home games... Kovy was booed.

I cannot think of a more talented piece of ****.

I was kinda interested so I looked up the numbers

Kovalchuk in Atlanta
SeasonPoints HomePoints Away% of Points% of PointsTotal Points
2002252649.02%50.98%51
2003293843.28%56.72%67
2004394844.83%55.17%87
2006455345.92%54.08%98
2007443257.89%42.11%76
2008383949.35%50.65%77
2009444748.35%51.65%91
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hossa in Atlanta
SeasonPoints HomePoints Away% of Points% of PointsTotal Points
2006504254.35%45.65%92
2007594159.00%41.00%100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Maybe we need to talk about the narrative that Hossa couldn't score on the road in hostile rinks, it's pretty wild that they're almost perfectly inverted though. Maybe deployment and matchup related?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I literally have no idea what to think of this pick in 2022!!!
With two exceptions (one in his first full season, and one particularly notable failure), if Coop makes the playoffs, he makes it to the Conference Finals. Since 2015 he's made the CF every year but two - one he lost in round one in arguably the biggest upset in nhl history, and one where they missed the playoffs by one point despite like 400 man games lost.

IDK - I think his resume is startingto look really good. Biggest knock is he's only been an HC for 9 seasons.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
With two exceptions (one in his first full season, and one particularly notable failure), if Coop makes the playoffs, he makes it to the Conference Finals. Since 2015 he's made the CF every year but two - one he lost in round one in arguably the biggest upset in nhl history, and one where they missed the playoffs by one point despite like 400 man games lost.

IDK - I think his resume is startingto look really good. Biggest knock is he's only been an HC for 9 seasons.

Yeah, 9 seasons is pretty low for a modern coach. That's obviously the knock.

And older coaches with low longevity as coach (like Ivan) were promoted to GM, which is something....

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, 9 seasons is pretty low for a modern coach. That's obviously the knock.

And older coaches with low longevity as coach (like Ivan) were promoted to GM, which is something....
I also think there's a question in how he would do with a different roster. I don't want to give too much credence to "Tampa was a powerhouse his entire tenure" - he did come in after Boucher got fired mid-season, but the core has been consistent since 2015 at the latest.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Three Rivers selects some solid ES scoring (54) and 2 way punch for the bottom 6.

Joe Mullen, RW

Joe-Mullen-Flames-1-scaled.jpg

From Billyshoe's bio in 2013:

"He's so good defensively, we often use him in roles that take away from his offense," coach Scotty Bowman said. "We don't put him on a lot of power plays. He always finds a way to score goals."

Joe Mullen put himself through a rigorous workout program during the offseason... it is difficult to overstate his value as a consistent, two-way contributor...

Nobody handed out placards emblazoned with Joe Mullen's name last night. Nobody roared approval when he stepped onto the ice. Truth is, nobody really seemed to notice.

Hey, it was supposed to be Mario Lemieux's night at the Civic Arena, not Mullen's. Besides, Mullen is used to being overlooked. He could have made a made a career out of it if people didn't have a nasty habit of adding up the numbers on the scoresheet after every game.

That two-way diligence doesn't do much to pad Mullen's personal stats...

On the contrary, he scored most of his goals twisting and driving through traffic, often releasing the puck from awkward angles as he was tumbling to the ice. But my, was he effective.

He had a choppy stride, a by-product of his roller hockey days on the streets of Manhattan. But Mullen possessed great balance and surprising strength, along with a nose for the net.

Many feared it was the end of the line for the 33 year old winger. Displaying his trademark bulldog tenacity, Mullen beat the odds. He returned to action in the playoffs wearing a neck collar for protection and scored 8 goals, including 2 in Game 6 of the finals to help spark the Penguins to their first Stanley Cup.

Again, there were doubts about whether Mullen could bounce back. Again, the gritty winger defied the odds returning to score 33 goals in 1992-93 and 38 the next year to earn a spot on the Eastern Conference All Star Team.

At 39 years of age, it appeared he had finally reached the end of the line. But the Penguins missed his reliable two-way play and his penchant for scoring clutch goals.

Mullen has a knack for the net and is willing to dig the puck out of the corners. But his greatest strength may be his balance, an imperative in roller hockey. Cutting and stopping are more difficult on roller skates than on ice skates, and there's always the threat of a concrete kiss. "He's the type of player who'll still score while being knocked down," says St. Louis linemate Blake Dunlop. "He has very good balance and coordination. Maybe roller hockey's the reason."

"When I look at a forward, I don't care whether he's big, small or medium," says Emile (The Cat) Francis, the Blues' president and general manager who replaced Red Berenson as coach on March 9. "I just want to know: Will he take a check to make a play? Joe will."

Of course, that heart of a lion was part of a complete package, which included a pretty good set of hands that came with that pint-sized 5'9" 180 pound frame.

From the day the right winger was acquired from the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 1, 1986, he became a fan favourite. It was more than the 16 goals and 22 assists he tallied in his 29 games the rest of that 1985-86 season. It was the grit, guts and offensive touch he added in the playoffs, leading all playoff scorers with 12 goals and guiding the Flames to the Stanley Cup Final against the Montreal Canadiens.

Over the next 4 seasons, he was as consistent as any scorer in the NHL, firing 47, 40, 51 and 36 goals.

"I tried to give it 100% and play both ends of the rink," says Mullen. "I tried to concentrate on my defensive side of my game. Once we turned it over and we had the puck, it was all out offense. Get the puck to the center and try to get in the open, get it back and shoot."

No mater the score, Mullen never took a night off.

"He goes where the heavy going is, comes in front of the net and is smart enough to know how to take a check," former Flames coach Terry Crisp once said. "A lot of players give you a first effort and that's it. With Mully, you'll see a second and third and sometimes even a fourth effort where he scores from his knees. He simply refuses to accept the fact they are trying to take him out o the play."

GM Cliff Fletcher or Trader Cliff, as he came to be known, had upgraded the talent and competitive level by stealing sniper Joe Mullen from St. Louis.

The speedy and tough goal scorer was a big fan-favorite wherever he played, and his never-say-die attitude made him a winner both on and off the ice.

Fellow U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame member, the late Bob Johnson, once said of Mullen, when the Penguins acquired him for a second round pick in 1990, "I'd go to war with Joe Mullen."

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I also think there's a question in how he would do with a different roster. I don't want to give too much credence to "Tampa was a powerhouse his entire tenure" - he did come in after Boucher got fired mid-season, but the core has been consistent since 2015 at the latest.

I know they switched their system up, but can’t find the article. And they won with two key players playing hurt, one each year. If you look at the defensive numbers, their system is highly effective. They were called soft then went through two long campaigns during Covid to start a dynasty, a lot of that has to do with coaching

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I know they switched their system up, but can’t find the article. And they won with two key players playing hurt, one each year. If you look at the defensive numbers, their system is highly effective. They were called soft then went through two long campaigns during Covid to start a dynasty, a lot of that has to do with coaching
I mean - I'm a Lightning fan just to put context here.

System didn't really change. Approach did. There definitely was a "why win 3-1 when we can win 5-1" in the 62 win year which blew up in our face in Game 1 against CBj that year.

And I wouldn't call 2021 "injured" as much as "banged up". With 2020 we were missing Stamkos but... I mean Stamkos in the playoffs is a different player.

Like I said though - with his resume highs he absolutely belongs. But doing it all with one core and not really having anything outside of that to point to definitely puts a question mark. Admittedly Coach Q did what he did with one core, but he has a lot more meat on the bones otherwise.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I mean - I'm a Lightning fan just to put context here.

System didn't really change. Approach did. There definitely was a "why win 3-1 when we can win 5-1" in the 62 win year which blew up in our face in Game 1 against CBj that year.

And I wouldn't call 2021 "injured" as much as "banged up". With 2020 we were missing Stamkos but... I mean Stamkos in the playoffs is a different player.

Like I said though - with his resume highs he absolutely belongs. But doing it all with one core and not really having anything outside of that to point to definitely puts a question mark. Admittedly Coach Q did what he did with one core, but he has a lot more meat on the bones otherwise.

Q did it in Florida also. That core was being called wimps not too long ago tho with Coop. That’s a startling turnaround.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Q did it in Florida also.
Did what?

Idk. The more I think about it the more I think absent a few notable coaches theres not a lot that separates Coop from others. Longevity is the knock but if longevity doesn't end up engraved in silver who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad