Bowie
(Russell, not David)

Thank you to TDMM and Dreakmur for the bulk of this

Awards and Achievements:
Stanley Cup Champion (1899)
Allan Cup Champion (1909)
Montreal Victorias Captain

ECHA First Team All-Star (1905)

Charles Coleman's 1893 to 1926 All-Star Team from The Trail of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1 (ahead of Cy Denneny, Frank Foyston, Didier Pitre, Gord Roberts, etc)

Offensive Accomplishments:
Goals - 1st(1901), 1st(1903), 1st(1904), 1st(1905), 1st(1908), 1st(1909*), 2nd(1900), 2nd(1902), 2nd(1906), 2nd(1907), 3rd(1899)

Reconstructed Assists: 1st(1904), 1st(1908), 2nd(1906), 3rd(1903), 7th(1907)
(not recorded in 1901, 1902, or 1905)

Rconstructed Points - 1st(1901), 1st(1903), 1st(1904), 1st(1905), 1st(1906), 1st(1907), 1st(1908), 1st(1909*), 2nd(1900), 2nd(1902), 3rd(1899)

Bio: ATD 2017 Bios

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think Carbonneau was a better shut-down centre than Kesler, but I didn't get to see him at his peak.

He didn't get the opportunity to do anything else, though he had skill. Montreal played the trap and that was it. Kesler would have had to play the same role if he was in Carbo's shoes. Carbo didn't inflame his opponents though, he was just a quiet companion and was there at the right time every step of the way and won all the draws lol.

Having Gainey there as a valve helps... and Nilan to intimidate in board battles, and whatever big dude on D to weigh in. They were kind of limited helping Carbo bring out his skill though. Nilan could crash and score, but that's about it.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The best shut-down center I've ever seen play is Fedorov...when he wanted to. After that would be Bobby Clarke.

If we're rating guys purely for defense...eh, I think the value of grinders depends a lot on team situation and how they are used. I don't put much stock in Selke votes. The trophy has meant different things in different periods, sometimes swinging from year-to-year. It is the only NHL award considered serious around here that I can never take at face value, as it is so context-specific.

Which doesn't leave us with much to make our evaluations besides descriptions of the players and our own holistic impressions. Which is probably about right. There are some interesting statistical models being developed, but ultimately there's no good way to quantify the relative contributions of a grinder. It's hard to measure negative offense, and team situation (the strength of the goalie and defense, especially), usage, puck-ragging ability, and line strength all factor in.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The best shut-down center I've ever seen play is Fedorov...when he wanted to. After that would be Bobby Clarke.

If we're rating guys purely for defense...eh, I think the value of grinders depends a lot on team situation and how they are used. I don't put much stock in Selke votes. The trophy has meant different things in different periods, sometimes swinging from year-to-year. It is the only NHL award considered serious around here that I can never take at face value, as it is so context-specific.

Which doesn't leave us with much to make our evaluations besides descriptions of the players and our own holistic impressions. Which is probably about right. There are some interesting statistical models being developed, but ultimately there's no good way to quantify the relative contributions of a grinder. It's hard to measure negative offense, and team situation (the strength of the goalie and defense, especially), usage, puck-ragging ability, and line strength all factor in.

It’s a tough one. The guys who are put in the most difficult defensive situations are set up to look bad, both optically and statistically.

That’s why I like Kesler - basically every playoff game I ever watched of him, he was glued to the opponent’s top centre.

Reactions: tinyzombies

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If I didn't get Blake, that's who I would have targeted, though I would have skipped Drillon if I did that.

I think Gorman needs a specific type of team to be fully effective.
I agree, but I think I have that type of team. All of my D are great defensively, all of my forwards aside from Denneny are fast (and there's proof of concept of Denneny working with Gorman) so they'll be able to pressure the other team well. I don't think Bentley would be his dream C on the second line, but I don't think it's the type of thing where it would be too big of an issue.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Vancouver went to the finals with a great defensive forward, defensive dman and goaltender, then traded them all away to double down elsewhere. Ugh.

I was floored.

Kesler was great.
The Canucks went in the wrong direction when they shipped him out of town.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Vancouver went to the finals with a great defensive forward, defensive dman and goaltender, then traded them all away to double down elsewhere. Ugh.

I was floored.

Kesler was great.
The Canucks went in the wrong direction when they shipped him out of town.
IDK - Kesler was kinda falling apart by then. He had like one good season in Anaheim.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I agree, but I think I have that type of team. All of my D are great defensively, all of my forwards aside from Denneny are fast (and there's proof of concept of Denneny working with Gorman) so they'll be able to pressure the other team well. I don't think Bentley would be his dream C on the second line, but I don't think it's the type of thing where it would be too big of an issue.

I haven't looked at your roster, so I have no idea... but I'd want two strong fore-checkers on every line.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I haven't looked at your roster, so I have no idea... but I'd want two strong fore-checkers on every line.
First line we have Schmidt and Lafleur (in a pinch just based on speed) - talent will win out there.

Second line I have Phillips (obviously not really a forechecker based on era but I think his skillset will adapt well) and Cournoyer's speed should fit well. Also - for his faults, one thing that gets pretty consistent praise for Bentley is he was a good forechecker. My third line should be a coaches' dream.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We'll pick Doug Mohns, D/LW

Mohns was one of the players who impressed me the most when I watched old games. He stood out visually on the ice. He was a versatile player who could play D and LW, rush the puck, great mobile skater, great shot, plays a physical and two-way game.

Don McKenney said:
Hey kid, slow down, do you want to make the rest of us look bad?
Ed Westfall said:
Doug Mohns does not know his own strength
Lynn Patrick said:
I like the way you handle yourself on the ice, you’re strong on your feet and you’re not afraid to throw your weight around, and I must say, you have one hell of a shot
Lynn Patrick said:
I would take Mohns in a fight against anybody in the league
Doug-Mohns.jpg

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I like Mohns for two main reasons:

1. Tarasov is the right coach to get the best out of multi-position defensemen like Clapper and Mohns. We won't be playing a 2-2-1 system like Tarasov's 60's era Soviet teams, but Tarasov's system called for (at least) four players on every unit who could skate well and attack opportunistically.
2. Not a lot of good puckmovers left who weren't relative pushovers. Doug Mohns is a beefy lad, and a good enforcer for the bottom pairing.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You may actually have the best checking line in the draft:

Blake - Yzerman - Howe

They are getting the puck back.
I never know how to deal with Yzerman in this...

But yeah - those wings can do the work.

I don't love pure checking lines (as in guys who only bring D on the third line), but I do think you need two way players. But I don't think you can afford to have a third line that isn't a threat to score.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
True.

I also like Henrik Zetterberg • Pavel Datsyuk • Jari Kurri
But that is more finesse stickwork.

I cringe at the physical punishment it would take to get through the hard-working gritty BYH line. Speed and quick passing is only counter. No one is gonna stickhandle past them (heads up Lindros, Mario!).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
But that is more finesse stickwork.

I cringe at the physical punishment it would take to get through the hard-working gritty BYH line. Speed and quick passing is only counter. No one is gonna stickhandle past them (heads up Lindros, Mario!).

Is Toe Blake really that physical? Legitimately asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad