ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Portland Penguins select Darryl Sittler.
SPNMSIP07_SITTLER01new.jpg

He's handing out checks like it's the first of the month!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I just got done eating a giant pile of dim sum. Thank you, George Washington.

I'll look into who I'm picking when I get home in about an hour. Or look at any trade offers.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
he was tough as nails, could fight heavyweights

Only seen a little bit of him via the tape, but read plenty and I won't begin to try and argue those assertions. Really feels like he's one of those guys (like the Hawerchuk's of the world) who probably ends up ranked a lot higher all time had they ended up wearing the right colors.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Only seen a little bit of him via the tape, but read plenty and I won't begin to try and argue those assertions. Really feels like he's one of those guys (like the Hawerchuk's of the world) who probably ends up ranked a lot higher all time had they ended up wearing the right colors.
I have a hard time believing any Leaf has ever been underrated.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

I see him more on the Bobby Clarke level. If he had been on better teams he’s be a top 100 player. Nothing he couldn’t do and a great leader too. He had those crappy Leaf teams playing the dynasty Habs hard

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I see him more on the Bobby Clarke level. If he had been on better teams he’s be a top 100 player. Nothing he couldn’t do and a great leader too. He had those crappy Leaf teams playing the dynasty Habs hard

Sittler was a really hard worker, but he wasn't particularly good defensively.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ummm... really?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

I'm glad there are folks involved with this that have seen the 70's/80's guys play firsthand. How I would have loved to watch Bobby Orr skate in his prime. Or Howe own the boards (pretty much everything on the ice I guess lol) in his.

Erik Karlsson was a beauty from a pure skating standpoint before his Achilles got shot to shit. Saw him live twice in Pittsburgh before that happened. Coffey as well, but I was pretty young so I don't have the appreciation/memory.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
100% and I think Clarke said it himself

You just need to look at a man like Bobby Clark, within the hockey arena, and know his words carry weight. Obviously players are going to be politically correct (though I do wonder if folks were a bit more to the matter of fact the further you go back in history) and speak well of their peers, but Clarke does strike me as a guy who wouldn't bullshit quite as much as the normal fellow. Pure speculation though.

It boggles my mind that these men went out with the gear they did, no helmets (goalies included for a long, long time) and played the game the way they did.

I have zero problem saying, even had I possessed the athletic ability to play that game on a pro level, I wouldn't have the mindset to do it. Takes a rare breed indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad