ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Hull Olympiques are proud to select, from Ottawa, Ontario, Harry «Punch» Broadbent.

upload_2022-2-20_11-0-22.jpeg

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I was thinking of him but I already have like four guys who missed time due to war and I thought that was enough.
Yeah, it's a natural instinct not to want to invest too many of your picks in a single era of players. The feelings of GMs will vary with regards to the quality of different eras, and it's probably best not to put all your eggs in one basket.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The Montreal Canadiens are very pleased to select coach Anatoli Tarasov.

2889079-front_800x.jpg

I've had Tarasov in mind to manage this team since we took Alexander Maltsev. We've constructed a roster to play the sort of up-tempo, puck-control style Tarasov pioneered in the Soviet Union, so we may as well take the man, himself, to manage it.

I’m sure you might already know the answer, do we have any information on what Tarasov thought of Hull?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I’m sure you might already know the answer, do we have any information on what Tarasov thought of Hull?

Tarasov on Bobby Hull (from his book Khokkey gryadushchego / "Hockey of the Future", 1971=2nd edition):

"His skating is superb. I've rarely seen that Hull stumbled and fell on the ice. He is remarkably strong on his skates and deftly and quickly skates laterally and backwards. His speed is outstanding, even over the distance, and his acceleration is powerful and quick. (...) I have seen several trainings with Bobby Hull. I came away with the impression that he knows everything and can do everything, that nothing in hockey is a secret to him. For a coach working with such a master, the most difficult part seems to be to find something that is adequate and worthy of his great talent. Perhaps the most impressive features of his mastery are his virtuosity, his sure-fire stickhandling and his keen instinct to find the right place in the final stage of the attack, the undeniable gift to score goals. (...) What makes Bobby Hull's stickhandling so effective? It's the unique versatility, the repertoire of techniques. He knows perfectly well how to get around an opponent in several different ways: One time he waits for the opponent's reaction to his initial movements and then he proceeds when the latter has disclosed his intentions. Another time he goes right through the opponent by seizing the initiative with various feints and elaborate moves of stick and puck, while apparently not paying any attention to the opponent. (...) Hull is as steadfast as they come. No matter how much they beat him, punch him and treat him with their sticks (and it is known that his face has the scars to prove it), he doesn't lose orientation, not even in the midst of this difficult and dreadful battle. He rushes to the goal, openly challenges the opponent and literally forces his way through the defence. (...) Intriguingly, he doesn't only play in the offence, but also acts in the defence when his team is shorthanded and needs to create a threat to the goal of the opponent. (...) He is happy to embrace a collective game. As is the case with all professionals, his interest in himself and his personal glory is very pronounced, but he nevertheless favourably differs from his colleagues and partners in his ability to play a passing game. He seems to understand intuitively that every pass will eventually turn into a benefit for himself."

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Reactions: BenchBrawl

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'll take the best shut-down centre I have ever watched play. The 5-time Selke Trophy finalist brings the size and speed to match any opponent as well as the feistiness to get them off their game - Ryan Kesler

Reactions: BenchBrawl

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll take the best shut-down centre I have ever watched play. The 5-time Selke Trophy finalist brings the size and speed to match any opponent as well as the feistiness to get them off their game - Ryan Kesler
Ummm... really?

Edit: not criticizing the pick but the bolded feels especially hyperbolic.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ummm... really?

Edit: not criticizing the puck but the bolded feels especially hyperbolic.

I started watching the NHL seriously in about 1995, so there's your window into who I have watched play. I watched Peca's whole prime, and I think Kesler is better.

Guys like Bergeron, Datsyuk, and Kopitar are a bit tougher, because they aren't strictly shut-down centres.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Carbo was HHOF inducted for his defensive play.

And the decision was widely heralded.

He was remarkable. I used to get into heated arguments as to who was better, Carbo or Gainey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad