ATD 2022 - draft order in post 182

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don’t really see the point in divisions at 18 teams.

2 benefits to divisions:
1) Slightly easier to rank 4-5 teams than 8-9
2) More #1 and #2 seeds could make more GMs feel like they have a chance to win.

Not sure if the benefits are big though.

I know some GMs hate the idea of uneven divisions; it doesn't bother me at all.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
2 benefits to divisions:
1) Slightly easier to rank 4-5 teams than 8-9
2) More #1 and #2 seeds could make more GMs feel like they have a chance to win.

Not sure if the benefits are big though.

I know some GMs hate the idea of uneven divisions; it doesn't bother me at all.

You'd have to do a short play-in round whether we go with only Conferences or Divisions + Conferences.

Personally, I like divisions a little better. I think it makes the playoffs more likely to have "upsets" and/or 2 of the best teams facing off earlier. I'm fine either way though.

I think it's too late to get approval for this year, but here's an idea to remember for next year...

Randomly assign the divisions/conferences instead of basing it on draft position. I think it could lead to some different matchups than we usually see. For example, it'd be fun if the first 3 picks all ended up in the same division.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
One team from each conference misses the playoffs but they play each other for the Bronze Cup: the winner gets to choose his draft position next year.

Gives them something to play for and a distant chance at redemption.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
One team from each conference misses the playoffs but they play each other for the Bronze Cup: the winner gets to choose his draft position next year.

I'm actually ok with that.

Also gives those 2 a solid reason for coming back next year.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

I agree they need some motivation maybe, but I wouldn't give away any slot in the first round for it

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I suddenly thought of an IRL problem: what if someone tanks for draft position?

Just like how in the NHL, halfway through the seasons the teams that know they have no chance at the cup start trading away good players and trying to finish last in the standings...

We don't want any incentive to make silly picks or bad trades.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I suddenly thought of a IRL problem: what if someone tanks for draft position?

Just like how in the NHL, halfway through the seasons the teams that know they have no chance at the cup start trading away good players and trying to finish last in the standings...

I can't imagine anyone "tanking" an entire ATD run just for the chance to pick 1st in a snake draft the following year.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I suddenly thought of an IRL problem: what if someone tanks for draft position?

We don't want any incentive to make silly picks or bad trades.

No one can do that with trades given anything remotely bad is going to get vetoed and I don't think there are any GM's like that. Everyone is a veteran.

Secondly, the top 4 picks are protected from being handed out. I'm all for giving the bottom 2 teams a choice from 5 onward.

We're so close to starting. I think we need to keep this relatively simple. I want to get the draft thread organized and we're up to 18 teams which made the overall structure tougher.

I like your idea. Bottom 2 teams get a mini playoff for a win AND they get an option of picking their draft position 5 through whatever the following year.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I mean, a GM in round 15 realizing his team isn't great, he missing out on key guys, feeling he has no chance. Especially after pick criticism or questions raised about chemistry.

Making lopsided trades or ignoring special team players or simply deciding f it make homer picks and gear up a sweet spot for next year.

NHL teams do it though Bettman always denies it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If you finish last, roll up your sleeves and do better next year.

If you need help during the draft, I am always available in PM, as I'm sure many others are. People helped me when I started, so I'm ready to give back.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How about giving every team a 24-hour opt-out option for the playoffs that comes with a draft position pick next year.

That way someone who finishes 7th or 8th or 9th or even 5th could decide to do so.

A hard 24 hour clock followed by highest seed remaining playing lowest seed remaining (bye for too seed(s) if the numbers are uneven).

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The only other way that keeps it simple is the bottom 2 teams in each conference face off in a play in.

8 vs 9
8 vs 9

Winner goes into the 1st round of the main postseason bracket and plays the 1 seed from each conference (1 v 8)

Easy.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
That'd be lambs running to the slaughter.

Keep it traditional:

4 divisions of 4 or 5 teams each is better, with 4/5 play-in series.

All you're really doing is slight of hand though. Either way you have a play in, and a bottom seed vs a top seed.

I'd rather make it as easy as possible, and that, to me is 2 conferences. 9 teams in each. Less threads to put up post draft. Simple roster thread.

I'm heading to bed in a few, so hopefully we get some more discussion on this before it drags into the weekend. I'm fine with whatever gets a consensus sooner than later. :thumbu:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think that having a play-in round for 4 teams, while the other 14 sit idle might be bad idea.

VI's "play for next year" idea can happen at the same time as the playoffs. That's why I liked it. I'm not super attached or anything though

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Do we have a volunteer for the first draft thread?

Just in case Theo posts when most of us are asleep might be wise to have that ready to be populated immediately when I wake up tomorrow.

Reactions: ImporterExporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad