ATD 2018 Lineup Advice Thread

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
What to do with my PP units now that I have Mackay? Currently I've got this:

PP1: Denneny - F - Kane - D - Pilote
PP2: Krutov - Nighbor - Mackay - Pospíšil - D

Also, do you guys think Mackay can be on the 2nd PK unit?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Given his playstyle one would think Hooley Smith would be a respectable option for some presence in front of the net, right?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Given his playstyle one would think Hooley Smith would be a respectable option for some presence in front of the net, right?

Respectable, yes. He wasn't all that much of a goal scorer though, more of a playmaker, so that's something to keep in mind.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What to do with my PP units now that I have Mackay? Currently I've got this:

PP1: Denneny - F - Kane - D - Pilote
PP2: Krutov - Nighbor - Mackay - Pospíšil - D

Also, do you guys think Mackay can be on the 2nd PK unit?

Everyone's position seems reasonable.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Everyone's position seems reasonable.

I'm also wondering if Mackay could man the point on the 2nd PP. He played a few years at rover which would have given him some experience moving the puck from the back end.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm also wondering if Mackay could man the point on the 2nd PP. He played a few years at rover which would have given him some experience moving the puck from the back end.

Probably.

Also you could probably pick a 4th line center who is better offensively than both Nighbor ad MacKay on the first PP unit.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Probably.

Also you could probably pick a 4th line center who is better offensively than both Nighbor ad MacKay on the first PP unit.

Well considering I have a big, gaping hole on that 1st PP center, I'm sure just about everyone can make an assumption about the type of player I'd be looking at putting there. :laugh:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
So, with my roster so far:

Maurice Richard
Milt Schmidt
Anatoli Firsov
Eric Lindros
Alexander Yakushev

Al MacInnis
Marcel Pronovost
Fern Flaman

Bill Durnan

Does the following set of captains look good?

C - Milt Schmidt
A - Maurice Richard
A - Fern Flaman

MacInnis and Lindros could probably have A’s as well, but Schmidt/Richard/Flaman is probably the best captaincy trio I would think, right?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So, with my roster so far:

Maurice Richard
Milt Schmidt
Anatoli Firsov
Eric Lindros
Alexander Yakushev

Al MacInnis
Marcel Pronovost
Fern Flaman

Bill Durnan

Does the following set of captains look good?

C - Milt Schmidt
A - Maurice Richard
A - Fern Flaman

MacInnis and Lindros could probably have A’s as well, but Schmidt/Richard/Flaman is probably the best captaincy trio I would think, right?

Lindros is one player where giving him a letter actively makes your team worse. I like Schmidt at C and Richard at A. Flaman.... I guess hes ok

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Did you find new evidence that he was really good defensively?

I thought there was enough presented last year (or was it the year before? I think I'm starting to get old and forgetful) to at least use Ross on the 2nd PK, no?

It would be a lot easier to answer some of these questions if GMs presented the relevant information. That includes requests about captaincys

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Patrik Elias --- Cyclone Taylor --- Charlie Conacher
Sweeney Schriner --- Norm Ullman --- Cecil Dillon
XXX--- XXX --- XXX
XXX --- XXX --- XXX

Ching Johnson --- Doug Harvey (A)
Ebbie Goodfellow (A) --- XXX

So unless I draft another captain worth anything

C - Goodfellow
A - Harvey
A - Elias

Thoughts?

I guess it's the best you have, but Elias has a pretty weak leadership resume in the ATD. I thought the way he had his captaincy stripped was unfair, but it still happened, and he never wanted it back.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Guy Carbonneau is a given, but can I get thoughts on Rick Middleton as his PK partner on the first pair? He was pretty solid defensively and I’ve read quite a bit about his two-way play. Did he kill a lot of penalties in Boston?

Thinking Firsov may be a decent option on the 2nd PK group.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I wouldn't kick any of those choices out of bed for eating crackers.
I assume you have a decent idea of what kind of depth players yo want further down.

Reactions: Habsfan18

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Naslund - Datsyuk - Jagr
Robitaille - Hawerchuk - McDonald
- Toews -​

Coffey - Foote
Howell - Blake​

Any suggestions for aligning my Captains?

I have 50 years of wearing the 'C' in the NHL and 57 years of wearing an 'A'. That's not including international competition in which I have I believe 4 guys who captained the Canadian World Championship team.

Initial thought:

C- Toews
A- Blake
A- McDonald

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Datsyuk might be worth considering getting an A, he is captain for Russia when he plays international hockey as well but not sure what he gives over your current people so I think it looks fair as it is.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Datsyuk might be worth considering getting an A, he is captain for Russia when he plays international hockey as well but not sure what he gives over your current people so I think it looks fair as it is.

My thinking was Datsyuk is so easy going he wouldn't care one way or another about having a letter. I think ATD teams need voices that keep everyone accountable to playing a complete game. Datsyuk is a little too quiet for what I'm looking for. Toews isn't a loud personality but he's a great leader that makes sure the team is working hard in every area. I think having voices like Blake and McDonald compliment Toews leadership.

My biggest debate was 2nd assistant. Blake will be wearing one but not sure if McDonald is the best option vs. Someone else like Hawerchuk or Datsyuk.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
There might be better options down the line once you complete your team.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
There might be better options down the line once you complete your team.

Ya that's true, I have a ton of leadership already so we'll see. At this point im looking for talent and balance for my team more than leaders so we'll see how it shakes out.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ya that's true, I have a ton of leadership already so we'll see. At this point im looking for talent and balance for my team more than leaders so we'll see how it shakes out.

At the ATD level, I would say leadership is a weakness for your team. Not one of your players would even be in the discussion to wear a letter on a lot of other teams.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
At the ATD level, I would say leadership is a weakness for your team. Not one of your players would even be in the discussion to wear a letter on a lot of other teams.

Like I posted earlier 50 years of captains, 57 years of assistant captains. Datsyuk wearing the C in Olympics and WC. Jagr wearing C in Olympics and WC. Hawerchuk, Blake, McDonald and Robitaille all wore the C during World Championship.

I don't know how that's weakness. Toews has been one of the best Captains of his era. I think because he's present day you're not giving him near enough credit for the leader he is. If a team has 3 guys that are better leaders than Toews then kudos to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad