Atd#10 - THE AAA DRAFT (a full edition)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Canaries were deadset on NHA star Don Smith as the first line left winger and when the Pat Habs stole the pick the Spokane boardroom couldn't reach consensus on which of two still undrafted sparkplug left wing role players to go with on the Gradin line: the speedy scoring backchecker, or the championship tough guy who can score. The choice has now finally been made to go with the former rather than the latter.

Spokane is pleased to select a versatile forward who played all three positions, a hustling two-way player who racked up 71 assists, 108 points and the Lady Byng Trophy in the 78-79 NHL season:

Bob MacMillan

157480701.jpg

577 NHL points in 753 NHL games (8 goals, 14 points in 16 NHL postseason games in the Calgary Flames 1981 playoff run)

Versatile forward who can play center, left wing or right wing ... Noted for hustle and reputation as a team player ... Good checker who excels as penalty killer and in winning faceoffs ... Fast, energetic skater.
from The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1978 Edition (as cited by BM67 when was previously drafted)

...spent his first two years as a professional playing for the Minnesota Fighting Saints but jumped to the NHL in 1974. "Mack the Knife" as he was known,... was dealt to the St. Louis Blues in September of 1975 and he blossomed with them by scoring 20 goals and 52 points in his first full year in the league. The following year he upped his point total... shipped to the Atlanta Flames in a big six-player trade... exploded offensively lighting the lamp 31 times in the 52 games he spent with them following the trade. During his first full year in the red and orange, MacMillan scored 37 goals and 71 assists for 108 points... Not only was his offensive prowess impressive, but he only received fourteen minutes in penalties during the entire season and was given the Lady Byng Trophy as the league's Most Gentlemanly Player.

Lady Byng Trophy: 1978-79 (Atlanta)
100-point seasons: 1978-79 (108 points)
Atlanta Ellmans Trophy (MVP): 1977-78 (co-winner)
New Jersey Franchise Records: Most goals in game (4 against St. Louis while playing for Colorado Rockies on Jan. 18, 1982. Shares record with three others)
St. Louis Points Leader: 1976-77 (58)
St. Louis Assists Leader: 1976-77 (39)
Atlanta Points Leader: 1978-79 (108)
Atlanta Goals Leader: 1977-78 (31)
Atlanta Assists Leader: 1978-79 (71)
Atlanta/Calgary Playoffs Goals Leader: 1981 (8, tie)

... Became first player in Atlanta/Calgary franchise history to break 100 points when he achieved feat in 1978-79.
... A 1978-79 poll of coaches found him to be the NHL's most underrated player. ...
from Hockey Draft Central

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Based on the premise that you can never have too many goalies in the system, the Canaries of Spokane make as their last pick of the AAA10 Draft a 17-year NHL veteran who recorded a noteworthy 268 NHL wins, 17 NHL shutouts, 33 NHL playoff wins, two all-star game appearances (1981, 1992) and one remarkable Stanley Cup Finals performance:

Don Beaupre

beaupre.jpg

Reads plays well. Very quick hands and feet; stacks pads well.
A combative performer, who defends his crease with "uncommon ferocity"
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/beaupre.html

Don Beaupre: in a 1981 Stanley Cup final elimination game, a 19-year-old rookie goaltender shines on home ice.(The Game I'll Never Forget)
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-112904378.html

... Started in goal as 19-year-old for Minnesota's 1980-81 NHL season-opener and made 21 saves in 9-3 win over Hartford. ... Started in goal for Wales Conference in 1981 NHL All-Star Game, becoming the youngest starting goaltender in NHL history... Finished third in voting for 1980-81 Calder Trophy...
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1980/80037.html

Between February 6 and March 19, 1986, Don won fourteen consecutive decisions for the Minnesota North Stars. The streak ended on March 21, but it's hard to fault Don, who stopped fifty of fifty-five shots in a 5-4 overtime defeat in Edmonton against the two-time defending champion Edmonton Oilers.
On February 6, 1995, Don stopped all 34 Philadelphia shots he faced in a 3-0 Ottawa victory over the Flyers. It was the first shutout for the (modern) Ottawa Senators franchise.

Although Beaupre's name appears to be French, he is German by descent.
Don describes the Minnesota North Stars' trip to the 1981 Stanley Cup Final as the highlight of his career. "That's always got to be the highlight - if you get to the final. I'm just sorry it happened my first year. That's the ultimate goal as a professional, to win it all. It's got to be your best moment, even above individual games and all-star games."
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/beaupre.html

He led the NHL with five shutouts in 1990-91, then won a career-high 29 games the next year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Beaupre

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Fred Maxwell - (Coach) It is believe he was the first choice as a coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1932. However, because of his lucrative demands, the Leafs decided to take Dick Irvin Sr. instead.

Allan Cup Winner (1920)
Olympic Gold Medal (1920)
Manitoba Junior Championship (1932)
Manitoba Championship (1926, 1932, 1934)
Memorial Cup Final (1932)
World Championship Winner (1935)

Mike Sillinger - (Center) ''Pack the Bag' Sillinger played with 10 ten NHL teams during his one thousand NHL games. He was traded a record 9 times.

World Junior Championship Gold Medalist (1991)

The Montreal Victorias
mtlvictorias.png

Coach: Fred Maxwell

Todd Bertuzzi - Clarence McKerrow (C) - Mikael Renberg
Frank Rankin - Ivan Boldirev - Wildor Larochelle
Ted Irvine - Terry Crisp - Paul Holmgren
Armand Mondou - Mike Sillinger - Martin Lapointe
Alf Pike

Weldy Young (A) - Fred Maxwell (A)
Doug Lidster - Harold Snepsts
Gary Nylund - Patrice Brisebois
Benny Woit

Vladimir Myshkin
Nikolay Puchkov
Jimmy Foster

1939 or earlier
1940-1965
1966-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
in 2009

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Stopped at a Minot gas station - no time to check who was picked. Hopefully these two aren't:

- the last available Hall of Famer, F George Richardson

- long-forgotten utility forward/defenseman Jack McIntyre

More to come on these and all recent picks soon. And I will be updating my roster post as per the recent PM. Thanks fellas!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Daytona selects RW Scott Young

Scott_Young_-_Action.jpg

1991 Stanley Cup Champion
1996 Stanley Cup Champion
1996 World Cup Champion
2002 Olympic Silver Medal
Scored 40 goals in 2000-01

Legends of Hockey:
A quick skater who developed into an excellent forechecker with a hard, accurate shot. Young was traded by the Whalers to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1990 and was a member of the Penguins 1991 Stanley Cup team. He won his second Cup as a member of the Colorado Avalanche in 1996 after he was acquired by the Quebec/Colorado franchise in March of 1992.

After five seasons in the Quebec/Colorado organization, Young joined the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in 1997-98 before signing as a free agent with the St. Louis Blues in the summer of 1998. The Clinton, MA native spent four seasons in St. Louis before signing as a free agent with the Dallas Stars in 2002 and played in his 1,000th NHL game during the 2002-03 season.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Daytona selects Coach Peter Laviolette

060619StanleyCupCelebration19PeterL.jpg

2006 Stanley Cup Champion
244-184-25-34 in his career
USA coach at 2006 Olympics

Laviolette coached a strong puck possession, offensive style of hockey during the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup Winning season. The system requires a deep group of offensive forwards

Carolina News and Observer:
As of Wednesday morning, three of the NHL’s top 10 scorers were Hurricanes, as were six of the top 30, three of the top 21 in goals and three of the top 10 in assists....

“It’s the style that we play,” Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. “There’s an identity we’re looking for and it’s about the puck and about offense. Another number that ties into that is goals against and goals for.

“The separation there is I think highest in the league. You’re trying to establish a defensive game as well, but with the offense sometimes one has to give. I’m glad to see that separation growing.”

Last edited:

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
RW Sami Kapanen and coach Kalevi Numminen.

Sami Kapanen is a speedy winger with excellent work ethic. He played 831 games in the NHL. Kapanen is a versatile player who can play even defense if needed. He is the kind of player every coach wants to their team and he has all the abilities you expect to receive from your extra forward.

Kalevi Numminen, the father of Teppo, will be the head coach of the Huskies. The Best coach of the year award is named after him in Finland. He won three championships as a coach and coached Finnish national team when they won one of the big countries, Czechoslovakia, for the first time in 1967.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sami Kapanen
:handclap: I always respected his game: his play away from the puck was great, very defensively aware. Yet had offensive skill. Underappreciated. But then again, he did go to two NHL all-star games and won the fastest skater competition at one of them, so he wasn't exactly ignored.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
A 2-time Cup winner with New Jersey, and World Championship Gold medal winner over the Soviets in '87, D Tommy Albelin

And I'll take C Mika Nieminen with my last pick

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Barry Trotz (Coach)

A guy I like because he always seems to get the most out of his teams. The Predators play hard and physical. As an opposing fan, they are one of my least favorite teams to play against because you know they'll give your team all they can handle and often frustrate you in the end by stealing the two points.

Andrei Lomakin (RW)

I don't know a ton about him, but he played most of his career in the USSR, and was good enough to earn a spot on two Canada Cup teams and the 1988 Olympic team. He played 215 NHL games, scoring 104 points. His best year was 1993-94, where he finished third on the expansion Panthers in team scoring with 47 points. Lomakin was known for his strong defensive play in addition to being a decent point producer.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I just saw that CR wanted Sutter as a coach. Sorry to nab him just a bit earlier! Just wanted to say that Al MacNeil is a very fine recovery pick.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I just saw that CR wanted Sutter as a coach. Sorry to nab him just a bit earlier! Just wanted to say that Al MacNeil is a very fine recovery pick.
No worries. I only looked at the draft list and I guess it wasn't updated at the time.

Our two picks..

G - Alfie Moore

thum_2144847ca4b817b688.jpg

VanIslander said:
...a talented goalie who had 16 years of junior and professional hockey behind him before he got his first NHL start as a 31-year old.

Moore played in the OHA, OHA Sr., AHA, IAHL, Can-Pro, Can-Am and AHL leagues between 1920-36. He was a star in every league and was always at the top in the goalie standings.

Moore finally got to play in the NHL during the 1936-37 season when the NY Americans bought him from New Haven Eagles (AHL) in January 1937. Alfred fought admirably between the NY pipes for 18 games as a backup to Roy "Shrimp" Worters. His GAA of 3.46 was good considering the fact that the Americans was easily the worst club in the NHL that season.

D - Craig Rivet
rivet_craig0926.jpg

VanIslander said:
Here is a defenseman, a 6'2 210-lbs defensive-first good first pass, conservative smart decision maker who has been a hard-working favourite of some of us - on an otherwise shaky Habs blueline - for nearly a decade, a solid shot-blocking, positionally sound #5/#6 in an all-time context, toward the latter half of the best 1000 of all time on a minor league drafted club perhaps, or a utility depth pick.

seventieslord said:
Here's a guy who could have easily gone as a third-pairing guy in the MLD and no one would bat an eye. A good, solid, all around player who is tough to play against. I have watched many Leafs-Habs matches where he performed admirably.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Jeez, no wonder I couldn't get past round 2 in MLD9. I seriously overestimated Scott Young! I had a guy on my 2nd line that six months later could only make the AAA draft as an extra. I like Young, he brings a lot of things - speed, grit, size, goal-scoring ability, cups, and playoff performance. But he definitely belongs closer to where Hedberg selected him, than where I did. His best asset, goalscoring, tends to be overstated by career totals. He was 10th in the NHL once, and that was the only time he was ever in the top-20.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I need a strong offensive D to play on the right side so I select Moe Mantha D

Dave Creighton C - 20 goal scorer during the 50's. finished 9th in points in 1956. 2 all-star game appearances

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Damn, fine pick. For some reason I thought Creighton was gone a long time ago. I had him knocked off my goalscoring spreadsheet. I believe he was the most accomplished goalscorer remaining at this point.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW Nick Mickoski

nick_mickoski.jpg

- Stanley Cup Finalist (1950)
- 4 times top-15 in goals
- 9th in assists (1955)
- 17th-highest scorer over the span of his career (the rest of the top-50 have ALL been selected)

loh.net said:
Left-winger Nick Mickoski played over 700 NHL games for four different clubs during the Original Six era. He was a fine goal scorer and playmaker whose 6'1" frame was difficult to bump off the puck.

Beginning in the 1948-49 season, "Broadway Nick" spent parts of seven seasons with the Rangers. After scoring 20 points in 1949-50, he helped the Rangers reach the Stanley Cup finals for the last time in 22 years. During the overtime period of the seventh game, he hit the post then watched Pete Babando become a hero in Motown. In 1950-51, he hit the 20-goal mark while teamed with Ed Slowinski and Don Raleigh.

Mickoski joined the Chicago Black Hawks in 1954-55 and was a fine two- way worker with Ed Litzenberger and Red Sullivan. He was picked up by the Detroit Red Wings halfway through the 1957-58 season and made his first playoff appearance in eight years. After playing 66 games for the club in 1958-59, he was acquired by the Boston Bruins where he played his last half season.

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide of Everyone Who has Ever Played in the NHL said:
Skated like the wind...

halloffame.mb.ca said:
Mickoski, 6’ 1” and 183 lbs. had size and also speed.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Joe Reekie

06F.jpg

- 6'3", 220 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1998)
- Career +150
- Adjusted career +195 (based on the demonstrated difference in his team's goal differential when he's on the ice, versus when he's off - this is the highest career mark among all remaining players from 1967 to the present)
- 13 consecutive plus seasons, 1989-2001 (was on a sub-.500 team in 7 of these seasons!)
- Reekie's actual and adjusted +/- figures are even more impressive when you consider that his offensive contributions were negligible (164 career points), this indicates a long track record of exemplary defensive play.

loh.net said:
By (1992), he had accumulated a barrel-full of experience which was drained to the bottom by the fledgling Bolts. But as a return, the extra ice time and increased responsibilities helped raise his game to its highest level.

Reekie's stock and trade has been clearing creases and killing penalties. He has been a coach's dream in that he keeps the game incredibly simple. He never wanders too far away from his own blueline and he keeps opponents honest as they venture near his crease.

In 1994, he was traded to the Washington Capitals. For eight seasons, Reekie (was) a top-four defender on the Caps' back end as one of his coach's most trustworthy players.

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide of Everyone Who has Ever Played in the NHL said:
A defensive defenseman of the most reliable order... quietly became an 18-year NHL man without so much as a peep...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
EagleBelfour, you will need to make a new pick ASAP! Regina has Frank Rankin; we mentioned him 7 1/2 hours before you did. No one noticed this, apparently.

Also, was the Jack Marks selection redone? I noted earlier that he was picked in the MLD but I don't recall seeing anything come of that. I was all over the USA at the time, mind you.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW/C Patrik Sundstrom

3343012.jpg

- 6'1", 200 lbs
- Swedish Player of the year (1982)
- Placed 10th and 14th in Selke voting
- 10th in assists, 9th in points, 1988 playoffs
- 35th in points during the span of his career (no one above him on this list is available and the few available names between him and #100, are not known for two-way play like Sundstrom)

loh.net said:
After two seasons of junior hockey in his home country Sweden, Patrik Sundstrom represented his country at the World Junior Championships in 1980 where the team won a bronze medal. This year also saw Sundstrom drafted by the Canucks. He joined his twin brother, Peter, in the World Juniors the next year where he led the team to a gold medal and was named the tournament's best forward.

The 1981-82 season saw Sundstrom play in Sweden where he was named the Swedish player of the year as well as representing Tre Kronor in the Canada Cup and World Championships. Sundstrom was a part of the 1987-88 New Jersey team that made a run for Lord Stanley's Cup, but the Boston Bruins who took the series in the seventh and deciding game stopped the team in the conference finals.

...and, with Tony Tanti, became one of the more dangerous pairs of forwards in the league. their roles upended the stereotypes. Sundstrom was the biggest player on the team, and he was the net crasher...

canucks legends said:
smooth-skating... unselfish...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
EagleBelfour, you will need to make a new pick ASAP! Regina has Frank Rankin; we mentioned him 7 1/2 hours before you did. No one noticed this, apparently.
indeed... re-pick needed

Also, was the Jack Marks selection redone? I noted earlier that he was picked in the MLD but I don't recall seeing anything come of that.
i believe so. he certainly isn't on the AAA10 draft list as it stands

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
G Tomas Vokoun

vokoun.jpg

- World Cup Silver Medalist (2004)
- Olympic Silver Medalist (2006)
- 16-3-2 with 143 GAA and .939 sv% in 3 World Championships (2003, 2004, 2005)
- Twice top-8 in Vezina voting (4th-2006, 8th-2004)
- Career .915 sv% is the 9th-highest in the NHL during his career among goalies with 200+ games played (a total of 56 goalies)

loh.net said:
Vokoun was called up and played 37 games for them. His 2.95 goals against average was the best on the team and he had earned himself a permanent NHL job. Upon his arrival in Nashville, Vokoun went on to see most of the action and subsequently became the number one netminder during the 2002-03 season. In his first full season as Nashville's number one, Vokoun finished with a 25-31-11 record and a 2.20 goals against average before turning in a career year in 2003-04.

One year after being named the number one guy in Nashville, Vokoun surpassed his totals in 2003-04, finishing the season with a 34-29-10 record with a 2.53 goals against average and made his first NHL All-Star Game appearance in 2004. Vokoun was instrumental in leading the Predators to their first playoff appearance in franchise history. However, the young Preds' drew the Presidents' Cup champion Detroit Red Wings who would eliminate Vokoun and the Preds' in six games.

The following season Vokoun would post a 27-12-4 with a 2.40 goals against average and .920 save percentage in 44 games, however the club would fall short of it's goal in the playoffs. On the day of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Tomas Vokoun was sent to the Florida Panthers three draft picks.

On the international stage, Vokoun has represented his homeland at the 1996 World Junior Championships and is a three-time member of its World Championship team (2003, 2004 and 2005).

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Rover Frank Rankin

P196107S.jpg

- Inducted into the HHOF in 1961
- SOHA 1st Team All-Star (1910, 1911, 1913)
- SOHA 2nd Team All-Star (1912, 1914, 1915)
- 53 goals in 17 games in SOHA from 1911 through 1914 (SIHR)
- 14 goals in 12 SOHA playoff games from 1911 through 1914 (SIHR)
- Also played in SOHA from 1904 to 1910 (stats unavailable)
- In 7 of 9 seasons, led his team either to the championship or to the finals

As a point of reference, Frank Foyston played two seasons with Rankin where statistics are available. During these two seasons, Foyston scored 29 goals in 12 games; Rankin scored 21 in 10 games.

loh.net said:
...He moved to Toronto in 1910 to join the Eaton Athletic Association that had been formed that year by John C. Eaton, president of the eponymous department store. Membership was limited to amateurs and many were imported to Toronto to play for the team. Rankin was one of these imports and was made team captain upon his arrival.

The Eaton Athletic Association won the Ontario Hockey League senior title in 1910-11 and repeated the following year before losing the Allan Cup final to the Winnipeg Victorias. Rankin lead the senior league in goals during the 1910-11 season, scoring 15 times in just four games. His performance earned him a First Team All-Star selection for the second consecutive year.

In 1912-13, Rankin moved uptown to Toronto St. Michael's, a team that lost the OHA final to the Toronto R. and A.A. both that season and the one following. He was chosen as a First Team All-Star for the third time in 1912-13 based on his league-leading 22 goals in five games. Rankin earned a berth on the Second Team All-Star squads in the 1911-12, 1913-14, and 1914-15 seasons before joining the Canadian Armed Forces during World War 1.

One of the finest rovers of his era

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Coach Darryl Sutter

Darryl_Sutter_1.jpg

- Stanley Cup Finalist (2004)
- Improved San Jose's record five seasons in a row
- Improved Calgary's record three seasons in a row
- 409 Regular season wins, 47 playoff wins

Joe Pelletier said:
Despite his loyalty to the Hawks over the years, Darryl left the organization in 1997 to join the San Jose Sharks as their head coach. He took the struggling expansion franchise to respectabilty as he was only the second coach in NHL history (Al Arbour of the New York Islanders was the other) to guide his team to improved point totals in five consecutive seasons. Despite a franchise record 44 win season and the franchise's first divisional title, Sutter was let go after a slow start in 2002.

Sutter was not unemployed long. Just a few weeks later he took over the Calgary Flames job, and later would add the title of General Manager. He guided the Flames to the Stanley Cup finals in 2004, and remains as one of the most successful coaches in the National Hockey League today.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW George Richardson

P195007S.jpg

- Inducted into HHOF in 1950
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1906)
- Won intercollegiate title (1903, 1904, 1906)
- Won OHA Senior title (1908)
- Went to Senior finals (1907)
- Won Allan Cup (1909)
- Scored three goals for the outmatched Queens University Team in their Cup challenge, 2nd on the team after HHOFer Marty Walsh
- 40 goals in 14 recorded SOHA games from 1907 through 1909
- 34 goals in 9 SOHA playoff games from 1907 through 1910
- SOHA First Team All-Star (1907, 1908)

loh.net said:
George Richardson was an outstanding amateur hockey player who grew up in the Kingston area at Limestone City. He made his debut with Queen's senior hockey team in 1903 and was known as a clean, gentlemanly player, a fine stickhandler, and prolific scorer. He scored five times against Princeton University in New York and was prominent against Yale University as Queen's won the intercollegiate title of America in 1903. Queen's was also the Intercollegiate Hockey Union champions in 1904 and 1906.

Richardson starred at left wing for the 14th Regiment of Kingston hockey team that went on to the Ontario Hockey Association finals three consecutive years from 1907 to '09. He posted a record seven-goal game as Kingston won the OHA Senior crown, 9-7 over Stratford, in 1908.

In a 1921 tribute the Toronto Telegram called him "a hero in sport and war." The British Whig of Kingston described Richardson as "the best amateur in Canada."

On ice and in battle, no man accorded with greater pride and dignity of purpose than Goerge Richardson.

Honoured Members said:
Richardson was considered a great hockey player on many counts. He was a fine stickhandler and a powerful skater, and he possessed a hard shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad