Atd#10 - THE AAA DRAFT (a full edition)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Old No. 7 takes:

Chico Maki (RW)

A good checker and great penalty killer, who also brings an offensive dimension to the ice. Maki played his entire career (1961-76) with the Blackhawks, scoring 435 points in 841 games. Earlier on in his career he played, at times, with Hull or Esposito. Maki played in 3 all-star games.

Jimmy Ward (RW)

Played neraly his entire career with the Montreal Maroons. The durable Ward rarely ever missed a game, and cracked the top-10 twice in goals and three times in assists. Ward was the seventh-highest scoring RW of the 1930's decade (and moves to fifth if his great 28-29 season is included).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If these two guys are still available, the Regina Pat Habs take LW Patrik Sundstrom and G Tomas Vokoun.

Again, limited time and access are screwing me over, but I think these two are fairly well known, and I'll trust that seventies writes up a bio when he's back that does them both justice.

(also, search function isn't working on the comp I'm posting from, so yeah)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Spokane Canaries head coach will be Dr. Jan Starsi, the mastermind behind the great Czechoslovakian teams of the seventies.

The Slovak is from Stan Mikita's hometown and played hockey himself on the national team scoring 29 goals in 73 international games, including the 1960 Olympics and medals at the 1961 (silver) and 1963 (bronze) world championships, so - my point is -he knows the game well from before his doctorate,...

For interest's sake, here's a picture of Jan Starsi the player (on the left):
35763.jpg

And here's the picture of Dr. Jan Starsi later as the trainer and co-coach:
starsi_jano_dr.jpg

... then having gone on to get his doctorate in Physical Education & Sport, focusing on practical training methods. He got to put this research into practice in the seventies as the trainer and co-coach of the Czechoslovakian national team from 1973 to 1979, pushing team Canada and Darryl Sittler into overtime of the 1976 Canada Cup final, as well as winning the 1976 and 1977 world championships over the Soviets. Over the six years of his stewardship, the Czechoslovakian national team was at its peak, finishing no worse over those years than second (silver) in the world championships. He coached hockey in Germany in the early eighties and returned to the Czechoslovakian national team from 1985 to 1988.

http://translate.google.ca/translat...t=result&prev=/search?q=jan+starsi&hl=en&sa=N

http://translate.google.ca/translat...t=result&prev=/search?q=jan+starsi&hl=en&sa=N

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Spokane is very pleased to draft IIHF HOFer Karel Gut, the 10-year captain of the Czechoslovakian national team, an 'aggressive defender' who as a three-time Olympic bronze medalist defenseman scored an impressive 35 goals in 114 international matches between 1952-64, named best defenseman at the 1955 world championships, a veteran of Sparta HC and a longtime defensive partner of Frantisek Tikal.

http://translate.google.ca/translat...ct=result&prev=/search?q=Karel+Gut&hl=en&sa=G
hist5.gif

"...The captains of both teams, back Karel Gut and forward Vseolod Bobrov,are exchanging flowers and flags before the first official match against the Soviet Union at the Prague’s Štvanice island in January 1957. This match preceded the World Championship that for the first time was played in Moscow at that time still at an open stadium..."
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...w=76&prev=/images?q=Karel+Gut&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- Damn you! We wanted Fleming. Would have made a fantastic spare or even a great 4th line LW.

- Guevremont is a guy we just never ended up having room for. He was high on our list of offensive defensemen, we just liked McKenny and Smith better.

- Milks was in the top-5 for remaining goalscorers according to my reasearch, as was our most recent pick, Mickoski. Mickoski is also described as a guy who was hard to move off the puck.

- So, is Bjorn's first name Lasse or Lars?

- Shields & Godfrey will make a great #5 and 6. I bet if you search for games played by defensemen during the O6 days, Godfrey had the most among undrafted players... just a hunch.

- Mayasich looks like a fantastic find. definitely some huge hyperboles were used in those quotes, but if there is any truth in them at all, then he's a great pick.

- Damn you, VI. Zinger was a top candidate to be an awesome backup for us.

- At the time of writing (on a train with this page loaded at noon EST Sunday but no internet access) this appears to be the first time someone picked Henrik Sedin without also taking ****** *****.

- At the time of his selection, Satan was the 3rd most accomplished goalscorer available. nice job! he has been inconsistent and snoozes through a month here and there. But he was the only gun on Buffalo for a long time. I have him with two top-10s, and two more times in the top-20. Based on his scoring totals and what it took to get into the top-20, I am sure he missed by 3 goals or less probably three more times.

- At the time of writing, there are only three players who have been top-20 goalscorers four times. One was actually in the top-15 four times. Two more have been top-15 three times. It's slim pickings now, fellas!

- Zhitnik is the kind of guy I'd rather wait for someone else to draft rather than take him myself. But he was due to get picked.

- Nikolai Makarov looks like another great one. I had read a bit about him but not enough to comfortably select him. Thanks for the education on him.

- I don't think Mikko Koivu is as bad a pick as VI is making him out to be. Triffy correctly noted that Mike Richards has been selected already. I don't see what makes Richards significantly better than Koivu, as both bring an awful lot to the table. Would I take Koivu? No, but I wouldn't take Richards right now, either.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- Yashin was, by far, the most talented player left. I'd have started a roster with him in the AA draft for sure.

- I was wondering when "Steamer" Pettinger would get selected. He doesn't appear to be that special of a player, but it's tough to ignore players with four cups at this stage of the draft.

- Jimmy Ward was one of the top-3 goalscorers left at this point, and I would have really loved to make him a top line RW in the AA draft.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I know VCL has limited connectivity and so do I - I'm in a McDonalds in Chicago paying for their wi-fi service. So I'll just throw in our two picks for the day off of our pre-existing list:

as a spare, Hall of Fame rover Frank Rankin and coach Darryl Sutter.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Daytona selects C Jaroslav Holik

jaroslav_holik.jpg

1965 World Championship Silver Medal
1966 World Championship Silver Medal
1969 World Championship Bronze Medal
1970 World Championship Bronze Medal
1972 Olympic Bronze Medal
1972 World Championship Gold Medal
1973 World Championship Bronze Medal

Chidlovski:
famous for his emotional and agressive style in both ends of the ice, often reached top results in both scoring and penalty minutes.

D Anders Eldebrink

anderseldebrink.jpg

1981 World Championship Silver Medal
1984 Canada Cup 2nd Place
1986 World Championship Silver Medal
1987 World Championship Gold Medal
1987 Canada Cup 3rd Place
1988 Olympic Bronze Medal
1989 World Championship All-Star Team
1990 World Championship Silver Medal

Legends of Hockey:
Anders Eldebrink wasn't a big man physically, but many considered him a giant among hockey players. His strength and powerful shooting ability contributed to many victories for his local team, Sodertalje, and Sweden's national team. Although Eldebrink wasn't voted best defenseman at the 1987 World Championship in Vienna, at the farewell party at city hall in honor of Tre Kronor's first victory in 25 years, Russian player Viacheslav Fetisov told him he was, in his opinion, the tournament's best defenseman. That assessment meant more to Eldebrink than many of his other honors.

In Sweden, many still believe that Eldebrink was the country's top defenseman during the 1980s. In the 1987-88 season, he won Olympic bronze in Calgary, where he was the Swedish team's best scorer, and placed third in the Canada Cup. Then he played 27 games for Tre Kronor, scoring 10 goals plus 11 assists, an achievement as good as any forward's. In the 1988-89 season, he was the first Swedish player to be awarded the Golden Helmet prize established by Hockey magazine to honor the most valuable player of the Elite Series, Sweden's major league. He played his 100th game on the national team against the USSR on August 29 of that year in Calgary, where Sweden won 5-3.

Eldebrink was a defenseman with brilliant shooting technique combined with an instant readiness to back his forward on offense and to make an accurate and timely pass.

Eldebrink has won gold once and silver twice at the world level and one Olympic bronze. He placed both second and third in Canada Cup tournaments. In 1985, while playing for Sodertalje, he won the Swedish national championship. These statistics may not seem as impressive as others, but Eldebrink has earned his place among hockey's greats by his long-standing commitment and loyalty to the game. Swedish coach Tommy Sandlin considered him the world's best defenseman and honored Eldebrink by including him on the national team many times.

International Hockey Legends:
Anders Eldebrink never made an impact in the NHL but he was a key cog on the Swedish national team for the entire 1980's and is extremely well respected back in Sweden. He was voted as the best left-side defenseman in Swedish hockey history by Swedish hockey fans in 1995.

After only two seasons over in North American Anders headed home again, back to Södertälje. Later Anders would admit that regreted that he hadn't stayed in Sweden for a longer time.

"I went over to North America way too early. I wasn't mature enough and I guess I had too much respect. I also never got much icetime from neither Harry Neale or Roger Neilson," he said of the Canucks coaches.

His finest moments came when he put on the Swedish national team jersey. He participated in six World Championships, two Canada Cups and one Olympic tournament. Anders especially excelled when Sweden became the World Champions in 1987. Although he didn't make the All-Star team, most people considered Anders to be the best defenseman of the tournament. He was +14 in the tournament and played extremely well in both ends of the ice.

Last edited:

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
D Sami Salo and F David Vyborny.

Salo has been an integral part of the Canucks' line up for several seasons. The big defenseman has over 500 NHL games under his belt will be able to clock up big minutes if needed.

Vyborny is a versatile forward who can play at multiple positions. With 5 world champioship gold medals and only one loss in the finals he is used to winning. I'm very happy to add a player like him on my roster.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Coach - Darryl Sutter
Darryl_Sutter_1.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
After two seasons as a consultant to Chicago, Sutter was lured back behind the bench to coach the San Jose Sharks in 1997 where he coaches to date. In Sutter's 20+ years of playing and coaching, his teams have only missed the post-season once. This can be attributed to the Sutter family's hard work ethic that rubs off on his players.

Chicago Blackhawks Legends said:
Despite his loyalty to the Hawks over the years, Darryl left the organization in 1997 to join the San Jose Sharks as their head coach. He took the struggling expansion franchise to respectabilty as he was only the second coach in NHL history (Al Arbour of the New York Islanders was the other) to guide his team to improved point totals in five consecutive seasons. Despite a franchise record 44 win season and the franchise's first divisional title, Sutter was let go after a slow start in 2002.

Sutter was not unemployed long. Just a few weeks later he took over the Calgary Flames job, and later would add the title of General Manager. He guided the Flames to the Stanley Cup finals in 2004, and remains as one of the most successful coaches in the National Hockey League today.

NHL Coaching Record
Record: 411-320-103
* 11 Seasons
* 10 Playoff Appearances
* 1 Finals Appearance
* 9 Winning Records

Assistant Coach - Brent Sutter
hockey-brent-sutter_250.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Sutter coached the Canadian junior ice hockey teams to consecutive gold medals at the 2005 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships and 2006 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He led both teams to unbeaten records, becoming the first coach to lead Canada to consecutive gold medals. Sutter declined Hockey Canada's offer to return for a third time in 2007.During the eight-game 2007 Super Series, Sutter extended his junior coaching unbeaten record to 20 straight games - 19 of them wins - behind the Canadian bench in international junior play.

Sutter was also the head coach and GM of the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL for seven seasons, leading them to a finals appearance as well as two 50 win seasons.

Sutter resigned as head coach and GM of the Rebels on July 12, 2007 as he was informed he would become the next coach of the New Jersey Devils. The following day, Sutter was named head coach of the New Jersey Devils. In the '07-'08 season, Sutter led a Devils squad that contained a diminished number of stars in comparison to prior years, to a 46 win season and a playoff berth.

WHL Coaching Record
Record: 314-194-68
* 7 Seasons
* 6 Playoff Appearance
* 1 Finals Appearance

NHL Coaching Record
Record: 91-49-10
* 2 Seasons (Including this year)
* 2 Playoff Appearances (NJ is pretty much a lock this year)​

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've built a mostly stay-at-home defense, but in case I need to throw some offense in there, I'll take a guy who had a long career in Europe and is likely to put up his second straight 60-point season: Mark Streit (D). A mainstay on the Swiss blueline for over a decade, Streit has 31 points in 68 WC games, and five points in 10 Olympic games.

Not too many people would guess this player had five goals and 10 points in the 1984 playoffs, where he won the first of his two Stanley Cups. But I don't need him for his scoring. Dave Semenko (LW), one of the most feared fighters of all time. For the most part the team I've assembled can take care of itself, but we've got Sammy waiting in the wings just in case.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Mikael Renberg – (Right Wing) The third member of the ‘’Legion of Doom’’ line, the injured plagued Renberg was an all-around talent, defensively responsible and able to score goals.

Benny Woit – (Defenseman) A quiet, yet effective defensive defenseman,Benny Woit was a regular in the stellar defensive group of the 1950's Red Wings, where we won 3 Stanley Cup.

Stanley Cup (1952, 1954, 1955)
NHL All-Star (1954)

Martin Lapointe - (Right Wing) A fierce competitor who can score goals from time to time, he won two Stanley Cup with the Red Wings in the 1990's. He also managed to gets 7-15 goals season.

Stanley Cup Winner (1997, 1998)

Alf Pike - ''The Embalmer'', this versatile warrior played most of his career with the New York Rangers. He died 4 days ago.

Armand Mondou - (Left Wing) A good playmaker and a fine checker, Mondou played most of his career with the fame Montreal Canadiens.

Frank Rankin - (Left Wing) An Hall of Famer, Frank Rankin was one of the early great goalscorer. While not winning the Allan Cup, he participate in two finals.

-------------------------------------------------

The Montreal Victorias
mtlvictorias.png

Todd Bertuzzi - Clarence McKerrow (C) - Mikael Renberg
Frank Rankin - Ivan Boldirev - Wildor Larochelle
Ted Irvine - Terry Crisp - Paul Holmgren
Armand Mondou - XXX - Martin Lapointe
Alf Pike

Weldy Young - Fred Maxwell
Doug Lidster - Harold Snepsts
Gary Nylund - Patrice Brisebois
Benny Woit

Vladimir Myshkin ]
Nikolay Puchkov
Jimmy Foster

1939 or earlier
1940-1965
1966-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
in 2009

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Didn't see Darryl but now do. Can I repick for Brent too? Cause there's an obvious reason for why I took both at the same time.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
chaosrevolver said:
Didn't see Darryl but now do. Can I repick for Brent too? Cause there's an obvious reason for why I took both at the same time.

Absolutely no dropping of players: once drafted they are drafted. At the end of the draft there will be a 48-hour period to trade or add/drop players, at which point a team could trade or else: pick up an undrafted UFA and simply discard a draft pick.
the rules are clear

the word ABSOLUTELY especially

chaosrevolver, if you want to drop a pick you do it during the 48-hour add/drop period which will be this wednesday and thursday

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
the rules are clear

the word ABSOLUTELY especially

chaosrevolver, if you want to drop a pick you do it during the 48-hour add/drop period which will be this wednesday and thursday
Alright, dissapointing..but ok. And sorry..I don't go back and look at rules when it's nearly at the end of the draft.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Our Re-pick

Coach - Al MacNeil

NHL: 107-107-52 (Can't find his numbers after taking over the Habs)
*Also took over for the 1971 Montreal Canadiens and guided them through the playoffs to a Cup Victory.

AHL: 261-134-64
*3 AHL Championships
*4 AHL Finals Appearences
*Named the receipient of the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award (1972, 1977)

Legends of Hockey said:
After retiring as a player, MacNeil succeeded Claude Ruel as coach of the Montreal Canadiens 23 games into the 1970-71. He led them to a strong finish and an upset of the Boston Bruins in the quarterfinals on the way to the Stanley Cup. Unrest in the dressing room cost MacNeil a chance to return in 1971-72. He resurfaced as coach of the Atlanta Flames in 1979-80 and remained with the franchise when it relocated to Calgary. During his first year in western Canada, MacNeil led the Flames to an appearance in t semifinals but he was fired after the team finished below .500 in 1981-82.

Wikipedia said:
Crucial to the Stanley Cup victory was MacNeil's decision to use rookie goaltender Ken Dryden in the playoffs despite Dryden having played only six regular-season games in 1970–71. MacNeil was presumably impressed that Dryden won all these games, allowing only nine goals (1.65 GAA). Another crucial choice was having rookie Rejean Houle mark the Black Hawks' goalscorer Bobby Hull. Houle was nicknamed the "shadow of Bobby Hull" as Hull managed to score only one even-strength goal in the series.

Unfortunately, MacNeil had a frosty relationship with Henri Richard, and when MacNeil benched Richard during the final series against the Black Hawks, Richard publicly criticised the coach. In game seven held at Chicago, after being down 2–0 for the first two periods, the Canadiens scored three goals in the third to take the series and the championship, with Richard scoring both the equalizer and game winner. MacNeil and Richard hugged at the end of the game, but that did little to patch up their differences. Richard was a highly admired and respected veteran of the team, so MacNeil was forced to step down as coach, although he stayed within the Canadiens organization to coach their farm team. Al MacNeil won three Calder Cup Championships 1972, 1976, 1977 in six years with the American Hockey League Nova Scotia Voyageurs. He later returned to the Canadiens winning 2 more Stanley Cups as Director of Player Personnel in 1978, 1979.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad