Speculation: At what point will MB fire a member of the coaching staff?

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
The PP is brutal, despite having some talented players.

The lineup decisions are questionable.

At what point does Marc Bergevin make some coaching heads roll?

When the team falls to .500?
When the team falls out of a playoff spot?
When Sekac quits the Habs?

As everyone knows, the hot start has masked some serious problems.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd say if they don't win in the next 5 years as that's when the window will be. By then it will be too late.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Too soon to ask these types of questions. I don't like MT as coach, but it's quite clear he isn't going anywhere.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Too soon to ask these types of questions. I don't like MT as coach, but it's quite clear he isn't going anywhere.

I've heard a few times on the radio different analysts say that he's doing a great job and that people should just get used to him because he isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Pretty sure McGuire and Lavoie said this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've heard a few times on the radio different analysts say that he's doing a great job and that people should just get used to him because he isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Pretty sure McGuire and Lavoie said this.

Things can change fast. Let this current stretch prolong itself, if the team tunes out their coach, he'll be gone before the end of the year.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If we put up an eight-game losing streak, I'd guess somebody gets fired, but maybe not Therrien

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At what point does Marc Bergevin make some coaching heads roll?

Aren't assistant-coach appointments, MT's prerogative? He's the one who chooses who he wants to surround himself with, not MB. Assistant-coaches' heads' are going to roll when Therrien's does, or if Therrien himself decides to move someone.

Unless, one of his assistant-coaches quits on account of public-shaming suffered on HF. :skeptic:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Unfortunately, MT will be behind the bench as long as MB is the GM. Bergevin stressed many times about stability "behind the bench".

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
If it's based on results only, the PK guy stays (JJD?), the PP guy goes (still not sure who it is).

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Habs went to conference finals last year and they're 1st in the east this year... Some guys are just never happy no matter what

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
hopefully soon but it won't change anything because the entire coaching staff has to be french which limits your pool of talent by a huge amount

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Habs went to conference finals last year and they're 1st in the east this year... Some guys are just never happy no matter what

Whether they are in first place or not, what matters most for a cup contending team is how they get out of their funk. Look no further than our competition tonight. The Blackhawks have scored more than 2 goals once in their last 7 games and have lost 5 of those games. You think it's going to last? Absolutely not! They will bounce back from it and hit a streak.

The habs have already proven that they can come back in games, Price can steal games, but now it's the offenses turn to show they can bounce back from a slump. Every season has peaks and valleys (for every team)... saying that oh they are in first despite poor play means absolutely nothing until the habs bounce back from their recent poor play

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
When the players convey a message to the GM, that they can't take another step with this coach in place...
he goes. I'm fairly certain that MB having 1200 games under his belt will recognize the signs.
Therrien has two strikes against him IMHO.

The inability to recognize and reward good play in game giving all prime opportunities to the same players regardless of merit or success. Steeeerrikkke One

The inability to put together a game plan that suits the makeup of his team. One that is needlessly overtaxing and provides little or no enjoyment for the individual or the team as a whole. Steeeerrikkke Two

My guess is he strikes out before hitting a "homerun"

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think we are a lot closer to it then many people realize. It will still take a prolonged period of suck but when Therrien was first hired they seemed to be on the same page, now I'm not so sure they are. To me Bergevin has evolved since he was hired, whereas Therrien hasn't.

Some examples
The Vanek acquisition is a perfect example of Bergevin valuing skill more then he did when first hired. Therrien still seems to care more about character then skill which leads to Weise on the top-line.
Therrien liked his D tough (Murray, Bouillon), whereas Bergevin has done a 180 and gone with a more mobile/skilled unit.
Eller's contract and Therrien's utilization also seem at odds.
The way Bergevin talks about Galchenyuk being a center, and Therrien's utilization
I'm also not sure what Therrien can say when asked about the PP. The talent is there it's up to the coach to use it
Bergevin seems to want a top-9 built around 2-way play, whereas Therrien still seems to think you have offensive lines and defensive ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad