Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I don't know how people would forget it takes time for a big man to develop, it's mentioned every time someone is justifying where Rasmussen is at in his development.

We'll see how he starts the year, but if he doesn't assert himself and contribute some numbers the first month or two, he'll be giving off some serious Sheehan vibes i.e. is pretty much just taking up space for the first 85% of the season and then gets hot for the final 8-12 games down the stretch to save his ass for the next season. We heard the "he finished the season really strong, can't wait for next year" with Sheehan for 3 seasons in a row and it never amounted to anything.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know how people would forget it takes time for a big man to develop, it's mentioned every time someone is justifying where Rasmussen is at in his development.
Yeah, and some big players never develop into anything.

Aside from physical development, his hockey IQ is low and he's slow to process the game. Does height mean slower mental development as well?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Myth busted. :)

In fact, Norwegians are actually the shortest on average compared to their Nordic neighbours.

Fun note from there, think for 95% sure, Rasmussen name is danish origins, and danish are tallest Scandinavians.

Of Norwegian decent, family came to US in 1904.

I'm 5'5".

----

Ladies, please one at a time.😄

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Of Norwegian decent, family came to US in 1904.

I'm 5'5".

----

Ladies, please one at a time.😄
5’5” but the ladies call you Mr. Tripod right????

In all seriousness, I am eager to see how far along Ras has come along in his development this season. I think this may finally be his breakout season that most of us have been waiting for. I still think he is 1-2 seasons away from being at the top of his game, but would be nice to see him net 15-20 this season.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
5’5” but the ladies call you Mr. Tripod right????

In all seriousness, I am eager to see how far along Ras has come along in his development this season. I think this may finally be his breakout season that most of us have been waiting for. I still think he is 1-2 seasons away from being at the top of his game, but would be nice to see him net 15-20 this season.

I think he will have a good/development year, where he hears new voices on how to play, different perspective could really help.

And to your first sentence...no, hahaha, they just don't call.

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud and 13to40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think he will have a good/development year, where he hears new voices on how to play, different perspective could really help.

And to your first sentence...no, hahaha, they just don't call.
Hopefully a different system, role, and usage. Maybe they can even teach the bottom 2 lines how to cycle the damn puck and stay in the offensive zone.

I'll bet money that Raz winds up being a winger by the end of the season.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Oct 18, 2006
I’m probably alone, but he’s my favourite Red Wing. I love the heart he plays with. He has improved his game so much since first arriving. When he first got here he was always falling over, struggling to hold onto the puck, but to his credit he has worked tirelessly in order to improve.

With his long strides he covers territory very quickly; he actually looks fast out there. He’s using his reach, his big frame, he’s becoming very difficult to play against. He looks so good in the offensive zone, he’s got confidence in his body and his size now. He looks a totally different player.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I’m probably alone, but he’s my favourite Red Wing. I love the heart he plays with. He has improved his game so much since first arriving. When he first got here he was always falling over, struggling to hold onto the puck, but to his credit he has worked tirelessly in order to improve.

With his long strides he covers territory very quickly; he actually looks fast out there. He’s using his reach, his big frame, he’s becoming very difficult to play against. He looks so good in the offensive zone, he’s got confidence in his body and his size now. He looks a totally different player.
He's become a solid middle 6 center. Maybe he's a little better on the wing but he's filled his 3c role well. The man said his new years resolution was to be a better hockey player and by God he did it.

Reactions: saska sault

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
The kid has done nothing but improve since he has been in the league. It's been slow but always getting better. The fact he just took his biggest step at this point its hard not to be optimistic that he can take another one. Obviously he has really developed a power game, maybe the best player on our roster using his body to shield the puck, but the last few games he has also shown some signs of skill. As someone else mentioned, he gets around the ice extremely well, defensively he is covering ground everywhere. He has gotten a lot better at carrying the puck through the neutral zone too. He isn't particularly dangerous, but certainly reliable transporting the puck.

I would love to see him get more oppertunity with better players. So far this season, he has been better than Copp. Either management is desperately attempting to protect that contract that they signed or truely think Copp is capable of more. Reguardless, I would rather see Ras get the oppertunity on 2C for a decent stretch of games to see what he can make of it. At the end of the day, Ras is an asset who's development is in our best interest more so than Copps contract. I would rather push Copp down the lineup and stomach the contract on the 3rd line than hinder Rasmussens potential. Give Ras some linemates and more ice, allow some patience for him to struggle if need be and hope he can figure out how to get on the score sheet a bit more to justify a 2C role. Rest of his game is already more than worthy of those minutes.

Even if Ras doesn't improve much more, he is already on the short list of core pieces to this team. First player on this young rebuilding team to lock in as a depth/utility player in my opinion.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
The kid has done nothing but improve since he has been in the league. It's been slow but always getting better. The fact he just took his biggest step at this point its hard not to be optimistic that he can take another one. Obviously he has really developed a power game, maybe the best player on our roster using his body to shield the puck, but the last few games he has also shown some signs of skill. As someone else mentioned, he gets around the ice extremely well, defensively he is covering ground everywhere. He has gotten a lot better at carrying the puck through the neutral zone too. He isn't particularly dangerous, but certainly reliable transporting the puck.

I would love to see him get more oppertunity with better players. So far this season, he has been better than Copp. Either management is desperately attempting to protect that contract that they signed or truely think Copp is capable of more. Reguardless, I would rather see Ras get the oppertunity on 2C for a decent stretch of games to see what he can make of it. At the end of the day, Ras is an asset who's development is in our best interest more so than Copps contract. I would rather push Copp down the lineup and stomach the contract on the 3rd line than hinder Rasmussens potential. Give Ras some linemates and more ice, allow some patience for him to struggle if need be and hope he can figure out how to get on the score sheet a bit more to justify a 2C role. Rest of his game is already more than worthy of those minutes.

Even if Ras doesn't improve much more, he is already on the short list of core pieces to this team. First player on this young rebuilding team to lock in as a depth/utility player in my opinion.
They gave Copp and A so they have to stick with him more than most players. You don't just demote players who are leaders in the lockerroom.

That being said, I would love to see Rasmussen get more opportunities.

Reactions: Filppula
Oct 18, 2006
Best game I’ve seen him play. He was a force. 2G, 2A but it wasn’t just his impact on the scoresheet, it was his ability to keep plays alive in the offensive zone due to his reach, physicality and will. Also some nice interruptions on the PK. He played a complete game, he seemed to be all over the ice and he was playing with so much confidence.

Do we leave him as a wing? I know he’s only being deployed in the role because Larkin isn’t taking faceoffs but man, I feel like we have a real ace up our sleeve here. As a centre he’s definitely serviceable, as a wing he’s an asset. Larkin has many potential linemates and I know it’s a small sample size but I really like Ras alongside Larks.

Reactions: NickH8 and Henkka

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Best game I’ve seen him play. He was a force. 2G, 2A but it wasn’t just his impact on the scoresheet, it was his ability to keep plays alive in the offensive zone due to his reach, physicality and will. Also some nice interruptions on the PK. He played a complete game, he seemed to be all over the ice and he was playing with so much confidence.

Do we leave him as a wing? I know he’s only being deployed in the role because Larkin isn’t taking faceoffs but man, I feel like we have a real ace up our sleeve here. As a centre he’s definitely serviceable, as a wing he’s an asset. Larkin has many potential linemates and I know it’s a small sample size but I really like Ras alongside Larks.
It is interesting to see how players can shine when they get a chance to play with good players. Obviously Rasmussen got the chance to play with Larkin and Perron and it showed off.

Another interesting thing here is how Bowman whenever players felt comfortable and the line was clicking he would break up the line, while poor Blashill and Lalonde have to kill to get one line going. The luxury is sweet and a good problem to have.
Maybe Rasmussen makes Bertuzzi expandable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

At least on long run they could start planning him on wing, and as some kind of spare Center. After Kasper has arrived.

Ras - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Copp - X
X - 4th line C - X

Reactions: lilidk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
At least on long run they could start planning him on wing, and as some kind of spare Center. After Kasper has arrived.

Ras - Larkin - X
X - Kasper - X
X - Copp - X
X - 4th line C - X
I was thinking the same thing. If Kaspar pans out as a great 2C (let alone if he really shoots the moon and becomes a 1B to Larkin's 1A), it will unlock a ton of offense and options for this team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I was thinking the same thing. If Kaspar pans out as a great 2C (let alone if he really shoots the moon and becomes a 1B to Larkin's 1A), it will unlock a ton of offense and options for this team.
And if Joe keeps playing well, earning more minutes. You could even then slide Copp to the Wing and have Joe in 3C. That would be three high end skating Cs...

Key will be finding a RHC at some point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And if Joe keeps playing well, earning more minutes. You could even then slide Copp to the Wing and have Joe in 3C. That would be three high end skating Cs...

Key will be finding a RHC at some point.

Yeah, trade route is mostly only option. There's no RH Center in the prospect system, instead of Neiderbach. And he isn't a 4th line fit.

Yzerman already tried with Stephens, didn't work. Went also with Rowney, didn't work. Now traded for Danny O'Reagan, maybe there's some idea as long-shot, don't know. Czarnik hasn't been used as NHL Center, even though he is a RH Center for Griffins.

But I would like to find a veteran there. Somebody who is ~28-29, and could play 3-4 years.

I tried hard to find some options, but there really isn't RH Center 4th line options at NHL almost at all at good age. Luke Glendening could be the best fit, but he is already 33 years old. Could help for 1-2 years, but not much more.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, trade route is mostly only option. There's no RH Center in the prospect system, instead of Neiderbach. And he isn't a 4th line fit.

Yzerman already tried with Stephens, didn't work. Went also with Rowney, didn't work. Now traded for Danny O'Reagan, maybe there's some idea as long-shot, don't know. Czarnik hasn't been used as NHL Center, even though he is a RH Center for Griffins.

But I would like to find a veteran there. Somebody who is ~28-29, and could play 3-4 years.

I tried hard to find some options, but there really isn't RH Center 4th line options at NHL almost at all at good age. Luke Glendening could be the best fit, but he is already 33 years old. Could help for 1-2 years, but not much more.
It would be far better to get a righty that is more than 4th line caliber. At least middle 6 level guy that wouldn't get dumpstered if we need him to take draws against top level guys.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said after the game that assistant coach Alex Tanguay had been pushing to want to see Rasmussen (who is a natural center but has played both forward positions in the NHL) on the wing, and Wednesday’s results validated that.​
“I just think it simplifies his game,” Lalonde said. “Can skate more north-south being on the wing. He’s been pretty good there.”​
Seems like it worked well for Ras last night!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

He played exponentially better on the wing last year. He is a winger in my eyes.

Go and get Bo Horvat to be 2c, copp goes to 3c, keep veleno at 4c and move ras up and down the lineup as a winger. All of a sudden, we become a lot more versatile. A good part is when a C goes down, we got ras to step in for now until they get back and/or if a c gets tossed out of circle or game, he can step in.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

Jarnkrok?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad