Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is he actually more inconsistent than other players? Pretty sure that kind of scoring is not uncommon at all.

Especially considering the few minutes he plays.
The only consistent players in the league are elite top line talent, everyone else is pretty streaky. A lot of that has to do with opponents and usage.

Raz is on pace now for the 40 pts I predicted at the beginning of the season, and tied with Mantha right now while playing on a shittier team.

I still expect him to work on stick handling and shooting over the summer, and be even better next season. I'd like to see him work on keeping his head up while protecting the puck so he can pass, and also work on shooting from further out to round out his game.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Young players are often inconsistent, especially bigger guys growing into their bodies and their game at the NHL level. I have very little concern about Ras, having gone from absolutely hating the pick to looking forward to the next few years of his career arc, however that unfolds.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's not too surprising he's following the typical "big guy, late bloomer" development curve. We saw glimpses of how difficult this team could become to play against when him and Söderblom played together earlier in the season. Imagine a Rasmussen-Kasper-Söderblom 3rd line next year? We may never be the most skilled team, but we'll be tough to play against.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The only consistent players in the league are elite top line talent, everyone else is pretty streaky. A lot of that has to do with opponents and usage.

Raz is on pace now for the 40 pts I predicted at the beginning of the season, and tied with Mantha right now while playing on a shittier team.

I still expect him to work on stick handling and shooting over the summer, and be even better next season. I'd like to see him work on keeping his head up while protecting the puck so he can pass, and also work on shooting from further out to round out his game.
He doesn't need to become ELITE at it, but what's preventing him from spending every day all summer practicing this so he can use the leverage he has with a big body to make one timers a real threat?

Seems like an NHL player should be able to skilled enough to develop a one timer if they really focused on it

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's not too surprising he's following the typical "big guy, late bloomer" development curve. We saw glimpses of how difficult this team could become to play against when him and Söderblom played together earlier in the season. Imagine a Rasmussen-Kasper-Söderblom 3rd line next year? We may never be the most skilled team, but we'll be tough to play against.

I'd rather skip my shift than deal with Rasmussen's grumpy face and Kasper's motor.

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Not sure if you've actually been watching but Ras has been getting like 16-18 minutes a game pretty regularly since mid December.
Cool. He's at 15 min/game for the season, good for #15th overall.

Unless your point is that he has been producing MORE consistently since he started receiving more minutes? Because that would be a good point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He doesn't need to become ELITE at it, but what's preventing him from spending every day all summer practicing this so he can use the leverage he has with a big body to make one timers a real threat?

Seems like an NHL player should be able to skilled enough to develop a one timer if they really focused on it

Agree. That and a quick snapper like Perron. (Oddly Joey has a quick snapper but rarely uses it)

What was preventing it was his footwork and edging skills, tough to get everything on a slapper without proper footwork. That issue appears to be mostly resolved, so the next step is stickwork and shooting.

I'm expecting him to impress us again next season. We'll see.

Reactions: izlez

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Cool. He's at 15 min/game for the season, good for #15th overall.

Unless your point is that he has been producing MORE consistently since he started receiving more minutes? Because that would be a good point.
Yes, that is my point, he’s playing up the lineup and getting more opportunities but is still playing inconsistently.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yes, that is my point, he’s playing up the lineup and getting more opportunities but is still playing inconsistently.
This claim is just bizarre and baseless.

Again, his average over the whole season is 15 min/game. That's not much. That's mostly with bad linemates and it's all ES. Despite all that he's still a top producer on this team. I think that's pretty damn good.

How long is this stretch where he's getting "more opportunities but is still playing inconsistently" according to you? He's played 46 games total. Are you talking about 15 games? Is he scoring inconsistently over the most recent 15 games? First of all I don't think that's true at all. Second of all even if it is true, it's not even worth mentioning. Every player in the NHL has hot streaks and cold streaks. That's just how the game works.

I'm gonna need to hear some numbers if you want to claim he's more inconsistent than a typical player, until then it just sounds like something you pulled out of your ass.

Reactions: DoMakc

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Again, his average over the whole season is 15 min/game. That's not much. That's mostly with bad linemates and it's all ES. Despite all that he's still a top producer on this team. I think that's pretty damn good.

How long is this stretch where he's getting "more opportunities but is still playing inconsistently" according to you? He's played 46 games total. Are you talking about 15 games? Is he scoring inconsistently over the most recent 15 games? First of all I don't think that's true at all. Second of all even if it is true, it's not even worth mentioning. Every player in the NHL has hot streaks and cold streaks. That's just how the game works.

I'm gonna need to hear some numbers if you want to claim he's more inconsistent than a typical player, until then it just sounds like something you pulled out of your ass.

There was a 22 game stretch where he had 4 points and there's an 8 game stretch where he only had 1 point. That's 30 of 46 games where he scored 5 of his 24 points. He's streaky as hell. Its nice to see him finding some offense but there have been vast swaths of this season where he's not been very good.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There was a 22 game stretch where he had 4 points and there's an 8 game stretch where he only had 1 point. That's 30 of 46 games where he scored 5 of his 24 points. He's streaky as hell. Its nice to see him finding some offense but there have been vast swaths of this season where he's not been very good.
He's got 14 pts in 18 games since being moved to the wing, and he's played on 2 different lines. Every winger produces more with Larkin than with Copp, so a lot of it is usage and linemates.

I said this before but only the elite top lines forwards in the league are consistent, you can find a bunch of zero games for any 40 pt player. That's how it is.

He'll be more consistent once the team finds a true 2C, because there will be a lot less shuffling of linemates. He also needs to develop his shooting skill, and so does Copp, lol.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Since when is 15 minutes a game “not much”? He’s T-7th among forwards, right where he should be. He’s tied with Kubalik in minutes, who has a better argument for increased minutes. He’s also been given an average of 16 minutes since December - good enough for top 6 minutes, and he’s not even a bona fide 2nd liner yet. His overall TOI also puts him at #7 forward minutes league-wide. He’s also #7 among our forwards in ppg. So what’s the argument that he deserves consistent top 6 minutes?

I’ve enjoyed watching Rasmussen grow, but there’s no denying he goes through stretches of invisibility. He can’t demand more minutes when he’s already playing so many minutes where he’s been inconsequential.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Since when is 15 minutes a game “not much”? He’s T-7th among forwards, right where he should be. He’s tied with Kubalik in minutes, who has a better argument for increased minutes. He’s also been given an average of 16 minutes since December - good enough for top 6 minutes, and he’s not even a bona fide 2nd liner yet. His overall TOI also puts him at #7 forward minutes league-wide. He’s also #7 among our forwards in ppg. So what’s the argument that he deserves consistent top 6 minutes?

I’ve enjoyed watching Rasmussen grow, but there’s no denying he goes through stretches of invisibility. He can’t demand more minutes when he’s already playing so many minutes where he’s been inconsequential.
Players who are 7th in minutes among forwards on their team generally aren't relied on to be consistent scoring threats.

I can't believe I'm explaining this.

If you are scoring consistently, you're probably on a top line. If you're on the 3rd line with no pp time, it's not surprising when you don't score consistently.

Intro Hockey 101 dudes.

He also scores more at ES than Kubalik and is better defensively than Kubalik. When he's not scoring he's still hard to play against.

Also, nobody is demanding more minutes from him. All I'm saying is that he's playing well. And I don't think he's any more "inconsistent" than anyone else in the league with similar production. Literally everyone has cold stretches, the NHL is hard.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Players who are 7th in minutes among forwards on their team generally aren't relied on to be consistent scoring threats.

I can't believe I'm explaining this.

If you are scoring consistently, you're probably on a top line. If you're on the 3rd line with no pp time, it's not surprising when you don't score consistently.

Intro Hockey 101 dudes.

He also scores more at ES than Kubalik and is better defensively than Kubalik. When he's not scoring he's still hard to play against.

Also, nobody is demanding more minutes from him. All I'm saying is that he's playing well. And I don't think he's any more "inconsistent" than anyone else in the league with similar production. Literally everyone has cold stretches, the NHL is hard.

Players who are 7th in minutes on their team are depended on to do a lot more than just score. Ras still hasn't figured out how to use his body which is my biggest knock against him. He plays like 5'8'' not 6'6''. Add to that he's not good defensively and he's not a driver of possession, when he's not scoring its pretty glaring.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
7th among forwards.

Look, I'm not an expert on the stats of non DRW 3rd liners. Are there really 3rd liners all over the league who do NOT have a "8 game stretch where he only had 1 point"?

3rd liners?

Maybe I'm wrong but this seems really unlikely.

Reactions: Filppula

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Players who are 7th in minutes on their team are depended on to do a lot more than just score. Ras still hasn't figured out how to use his body which is my biggest knock against him. He plays like 5'8'' not 6'6''. Add to that he's not good defensively and he's not a driver of possession, when he's not scoring its pretty glaring.

It seems like you stopped watching Red Wings last season, right?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
No, I've watched every game this season and have seen multiple in person in Detroit. Ras still plays like he's tiny, is not good defensively and doesn't drive possession.
CF 49.5%, #6 on the team (#4 if you take out Bert, Elmer)

Maybe you're just bad at evaluating what you're watching?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
No, I've watched every game this season and have seen multiple in person in Detroit. Ras still plays like he's tiny, is not good defensively and doesn't drive possession.

I have always found his lack of "meanness" to be a disappointment. Case in point is him being slew-footed by Kirby Dach last week and then Copp being the one to fight Dach at the start of the 2nd. Why is it Copp having to fight Rasmussen's battle? Dach is 22yo, 6'4" 212lbs, Rasmussen is 23yo, 6'6", 210lbs, fight your own battle, kid.

He has been able to become a slightly more effective physical checker this season but he still hasn't gotten to the point where the opposing team would is keeping their head up when he's on the ice.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I have always found his lack of "meanness" to be a disappointment. Case in point is him being slew-footed by Kirby Dach last week and then Copp being the one to fight Dach at the start of the 2nd. Why is it Copp having to fight Rasmussen's battle? Dach is 22yo, 6'4" 212lbs, Rasmussen is 23yo, 6'6", 210lbs, fight your own battle, kid.

He has been able to become a slightly more effective physical checker this season but he still hasn't gotten to the point where the opposing team would is keeping their head up when he's on the ice.
He's never going to be that. Same with Elmer.

These are more skilled big guys than mean physical guys even though they have the body for it. Neither really have the mindset to be front-net guys even... in spite of size/length that's a huge advantage for them.

What bothers me more about Rasmussen is he should get more calls but because he is big, he doesn't.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
He's never going to be that. Same with Elmer.

These are more skilled big guys than mean physical guys even though they have the body for it. Neither really have the mindset to be front-net guys even... in spite of size/length that's a huge advantage for them.

What bothers me more about Rasmussen is he should get more calls but because he is big, he doesn't.

If Rasmussen were as offensively skilled as Elmer, I'd be ok with him not being as physical.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

FWIW, he's listed at 229lbs.

He's got a certain chippiness to his game, but I agree he doesn't really fight yet. I'm gonna make the same comment I did about his shooting, both require edge and footwork, and he had to straighten that out first. You can't fight unless you're string on your skates, and he wasn't. He's a lot better this season, and much like his shooting, I think it's something he'll work on during the summer.

That being said, I'd rather have him focus more on stickwork and shooting than throwing punches this summer. Punching can wait until the following summer. Besides, if he picks up another 10 lbs, nobody will want to fight him anyways.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If Rasmussen were as offensively skilled as Elmer, I'd be ok with him not being as physical.
It's not much of argument who's better with their stick specifically shooting but I do think Rasmussen is bit better skater/more agile between the two, which matters in today's NHL.

Its ok to be upset he's not physical I'm just saying like... Don't expect it. It's just not his style.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00