Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ohhhkkkaaayy.

Boyle is the only guy in the league to knock down Seider with a hit. Raz isn't anywhere close.

Ras last season was younger than Boyle when he debuted. The tall bois are often baby giraffes until their mid 20s.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ras last season was younger than Boyle when he debuted. The tall bois are often baby giraffes until their mid 20s.
He needs to train with Chara in the offseason and learn a thing or two about being strong on his skates as a tall man.

Boyle also has 35 lbs on Ras. At 6'6", 210 lbs is not very big for a pro hockey player. The kid could use some more muscle.

Reactions: Gniwder

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
It's not a myth that tall people need longer time to develop their skill. Takes longer to fill out their frame too, as so much of what they have eaten goes to growth. Hard to build muscles.

I am only 6'4, and I almost ate my family out of the house when I was a teen. Skinny as F, and the only weight I gained was vertical growth and my tighs(cycling). When I stopped growing I sloely filled out my frame and more😅 Body wasn't in synch with brain either, as growth spurts makes your limbs grow faster than your head can adapt.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
It's not a myth that tall people need longer time to develop their skill. Takes longer to fill out their frame too, as so much of what they have eaten goes to growth. Hard to build muscles.

I am only 6'4, and I almost ate my family out of the house when I was a teen. Skinny as F, and the only weight I gained was vertical growth and my tighs(cycling). When I stopped growing I sloely filled out my frame and more😅 Body wasn't in synch with brain either, as growth spurts makes your limbs grow faster than your head can adapt.
Soft flex, bruh

Reactions: Gniwder

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He needs to train with Chara in the offseason and learn a thing or two about being strong on his skates as a tall man.

Boyle also has 35 lbs on Ras. At 6'6", 210 lbs is not very big for a pro hockey player. The kid could use some more muscle.
Yeah I agree; I'm 5'10 157lbs and in highschool bodied up and I dunked on a 6'6, center, maybe... 175lbs. Not enough core strength/bad center of gravity. Kid was rail skinny too not to like make fun of him.

210lbs isn't enough. Being tall, bad center of gravity, with not enough muscle is a bad thing when people are quicker/expolsive.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

I think people need to keep that in mind when it comes to Cossa. As well as the fact he is a Co-vid goalie prospect who only has 98 regular season junior games.

Reactions: RRhoads

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Especially since Ras' calling card of being the Wings' biggest foward disappears this fall.

Elmer is listed at 6'8" 249lb...

Hope Elmer and Edvinsson can give him some help for training. Think Edvinsson's mom was personal trainer, so they pretty much know how to workout as a tall guy.

Think they should hear a lot from those Frölunda guys, it's the only place which has developed these miraclous hockey giants on latest years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Compared to Elmer
Just funny to see someone in the 99th percentile for height use the word "only" to describe it.

You're twice as close to Elmer's height as I am to your height. If this is confusing wording, I'm saying you're 8 inches taller than me.

Reactions: RRhoads

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Just funny to see someone in the 99th percentile for height use the word "only" to describe it.

You're twice as close to Elmer's height as I am to your height. If this is confusing wording, I'm saying you're 8 inches taller than me.
Yeah, I get now how it sounded. It was more to relay that tall people go through a lot of adjustments, and they went through it more than I did.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Your 6'4 is probably the average in Norway anyway. Just kidding but norwegians are pretty tall on average.

Myth busted. :)

In fact, Norwegians are actually the shortest on average compared to their Nordic neighbours.

Fun note from there, think for 95% sure, Rasmussen name is danish origins, and danish are tallest Scandinavians.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

In fact, Norwegians are actually the shortest on average compared to their Nordic neighbours.

Fun note from there, think for 95% sure, Rasmussen name is danish origins, and danish are tallest Scandinavians.
Haha that's interesting, my quick search gave me an average of 5'11 which is tall for an average, but I guess that was wrong! Yeah Rasmussen was obviously a scandinavian name, I was wondering from where.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hope Elmer and Edvinsson can give him some help for training. Think Edvinsson's mom was personal trainer, so they pretty much know how to workout as a tall guy.

Think they should hear a lot from those Frölunda guys, it's the only place which has developed these miraclous hockey giants on latest years.
You think Rasmussen has been pro for 3-4 years now without getting decent workout advice? Elmer's mom to the rescue!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

But also the worst at hockey. :sarcasm:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
But also the worst at hockey. :sarcasm:
All the money goes to cross country skiing. No money to build rinks. We only have 40 indoor rinks last i checked. Sweden has around 300, in comparison.

I have done some work at one of the arenas, actually. With the refrigeration part of the arena.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is a big year for Rasmussen. Two things people seem to always forget.

First, it takes BIG Cs longer to develop. In Rasmussen’s case, he’s actually right on schedule. Especially when you remember he basically missed two seasons of his development. His rookie year at 19, as he played 4th line minutes on the Wing because they couldn’t send him to the AHL, but sending him back to juniors would’ve been worthless. Then the Covid year….

The best thing Yzerman did, is send him the GR for that year, to concentrate on playing C as a pro.

Second, the most important part in developing any young forward, is getting them to learn how to find open ice, open seams and actually creating open ice themselves.

Almost every forward in the NHL was a high scoring player growing up. The difference between them at the NHL level, is the guys who do develop the skill to find and create open ice, are your Top 6 players in the NHL. Like 80% of forwards never develop this. It’s almost a muscle memory thing like skating.

Rasmussen developed that skill last year. As the second half went on, he was better and better at it.

They now have a guaranteed, 23 yr old, 6’6” 3C for the next 7-10 years. A player who’s upside is huge right now because he has developed this skill.

Do not be surprised, if by this time next year, Rasmussen is their 2C. He has tremendous skill and hands for a big man. Now he finds the seams and creates space in the slot.

It’s going to make him really hard to play against.

Too often HF thinks players are busts if they’re not stars by 21. You think people would know this is ridiculous, as 90% of players don’t really develop until they’re 23-24.

He’s one of the stories to follow this year. Generally after it clicks, they only get better at finding those extra seconds they need in the O-Zone.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do not be surprised, if by this time next year, Rasmussen is their 2C. He has tremendous skill and hands for a big man. Now he finds the seams and creates space in the slot.
LOL, I have no idea which team you were watching last season.

If Raz was anywhere close to being a 2C, Stevie wouldn't have gone shopping in free agency. He doesn't even look or play like a center, now that the team has extra centers he'll more than likely be shifted to wing.

It's either 4C or winger for him, shifting to wing will improve his point total because he can focus more on offense.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
This is a big year for Rasmussen. Two things people seem to always forget.

First, it takes BIG Cs longer to develop. In Rasmussen’s case, he’s actually right on schedule. Especially when you remember he basically missed two seasons of his development. His rookie year at 19, as he played 4th line minutes on the Wing because they couldn’t send him to the AHL, but sending him back to juniors would’ve been worthless. Then the Covid year….

The best thing Yzerman did, is send him the GR for that year, to concentrate on playing C as a pro.

Second, the most important part in developing any young forward, is getting them to learn how to find open ice, open seams and actually creating open ice themselves.

Almost every forward in the NHL was a high scoring player growing up. The difference between them at the NHL level, is the guys who do develop the skill to find and create open ice, are your Top 6 players in the NHL. Like 80% of forwards never develop this. It’s almost a muscle memory thing like skating.

Rasmussen developed that skill last year. As the second half went on, he was better and better at it.

They now have a guaranteed, 23 yr old, 6’6” 3C for the next 7-10 years. A player who’s upside is huge right now because he has developed this skill.

It’s going to make him really hard to play against.

Too often HF thinks players are busts if they’re not stars by 21. You think people would know this is ridiculous, as 90% of players don’t really develop until they’re 23-24.

He’s one of the stories to follow this year. Generally after it clicks, they only get better at finding those extra seconds they need in the O-Zone.
I like your post generally speaking but saying Rasmussen has "tremendous skill and hands for a big man"? Really? I don't see it at all. but that's an interesting take and I'll pay more attention!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad