Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
There's nothing wrong with saying he skates extremely well for a big guy. The point is that, unless he literally was a better skater than anybody could possibly imagine a player of that size being, then the words you used are a large exaggeration. A hyperbole.

No, I did not. But whether I or anybody else did or did not witness him play is independent of using hyperbolic language to describe it.

You like him as a prospect. Cool. I'm just saying, consider being a bit more measured with the terminology you employ, or you come across as thinking the kid will set the league on fire right away.

I stand behind what I said. And I NEVER said he was a future HOF. That's you making shit up again.

Any scouting report you read about RAM talks about his great skating. That's one of his top bread & butter. He skates like you would want out of any 6'6" centerman. I can't think of another big forward known for their top notch skating abilities. Can you?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is a center but not playmaker, it only make sense if we will trade away Svechnikov and Mantha for # 1 center

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He is a center but not playmaker, it only make sense if we will trade away Svechnikov and Mantha for # 1 center

That's the hitch I've read about him, too. However watching him play in the preseason against some NHL talent, he had some nice entry zone and some pretty sweet passes. One was a flawless cross seam pass to Nyquist who shot and missed the net. But it was a sexy play. I think it was against Chicago.

I think that was the hitch about Dylan Larkin too when he was drafted because he scored like 17 goals and like only 9 assists in 26 games. The worry was he didn't pass or see the ice well enough to be an effective centerman.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's the hitch I've read about him, too. However watching him play in the preseason against some NHL talent, he had some nice entry zone and some pretty sweet passes. One was a flawless cross seam pass to Nyquist who shot and missed the net. But it was a sexy play. I think it was against Chicago.

I think that was the hitch about Dylan Larkin too when he was drafted because he scored like 17 goals and like only 9 assists in 26 games. The worry was he didn't pass or see the ice well enough to be an effective centerman.

Preseason is really never a great way to assess a player as to their NHL ability. Most pros are completely checked out till the last couple. He looked fine, but until he's in the AHL or NHL there's no way to tell what he can do in the Pros. The only definitive thing we can say is so far his assists this season are following his career trend and he still is playing like a big bodied winger who takes draws in the CHL.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well - that sucks.
Makes it a lot more likely he's going back to the WHL.

If he comes to camp and rocks it again, I wouldn't send him back. With his size, he's going to be dominating those kids and putting up points just because who he's going against are too small and inexperienced to stop him, and that won't do him any good in the long run. I think it would be more likely to lead to bad habits because he'll be able to cheat a bit and not get burned. If he's healthy and has a strong camp, just keep him in Detroit. Move Z or Nielsen to wing, slot him in at 3C and go with it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If he comes to camp and rocks it again, I wouldn't send him back. With his size, he's going to be dominating those kids and putting up points just because who he's going against are too small and inexperienced to stop him, and that won't do him any good in the long run. I think it would be more likely to lead to bad habits because he'll be able to cheat a bit and not get burned. If he's healthy and has a strong camp, just keep him in Detroit. Move Z or Nielsen to wing, slot him in at 3C and go with it.

This is the best argument against going back to the dub.
He's just going to be manhandling kids in a way that doesn't help him mature as a future NHLer.

Can he go to the Swiss League, like Matthews did pre-draft?
Maybe he should go play in the KHL for a year.

This is where you wish he could play in the AHL for a year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah but 16 goals in 22 games while playing in pain makes you wonder what he's capable of when healthy, doesn't it?
Yes. Assuming he can get - and stay - healthy. Not worth worrying about this early in his development, but absolutely something worth monitoring closely.

Injuries have derailed many a career. Let's hope it never approaches that with Rasmussen.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wonder if that played a role in Team Canadas selections as well, they probably knew he would need surgery. Not saying he would've made it for sure but I'm sure they considered that. Sucks for Rasmussen but at least he'll be back in February

What does he lack that would prevent him from being a center?

Absolutely nothing, its some made up crap by people on here who dont like the pick. Hes huge, great on face offs, a two way player, a great skater and was drafted in the top 10 as a center. There is absolutely nothing that points towards him being a winger at all.

Will he be used as a winger on the PP? Hard to say, he'll likely still take draws because hes very good at them but that will probably slow him down from getting to the net front which is obviously his strength on the PP. At even strength he wont be a winger, and if he is it will be in the same sense that Zetterberg was a winger for Datsyuk.

Some people expect centermen to put up 90 assists a year or they dont have hockey sense. Rasmussen will never be a playmaker first and foremost but he has the ability to pass the puck and set players up. Its just that he'll be more reliable in the goal scoring department. Just because the wings havent had a center like that in a while doesnt mean they arent effective at the NHL level.

2 way, goal scoring centers like Toews and Monahan are very useful in the NHL

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Just some stats: Ras was the 5th ranked NA skater by NHL.com
Others obviously did not rate him as high
dooberprospects: "With his size, skating, skill and smarts he has all the makings of a first or second line NHL center. "Peter Harling
This year before he was hurt: 22 gms, 16 g, 15 a, 31 pts, +9, 20 PIM, 58 SOG, 56.4 FO%, 9 PPG, 3PPA, 3 GWG's

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mckeens compares him to Bjugstad at best, but with a floor near Boyle.

I see a lot of big guys compared to Bjugstad now. Not saying I disagree because its definitely a similar play style between the two BUT I dont think a lot of these comparisons realise how much Bjugstad has stgnated. His second year he scored 24 goals and 43 points and was looking like he was on pace to be a 60 point 2 way centerman. He just hsnt gotten to that level again. I dont think its fair to say that Bjugstad is Rasmussens ceiling at all. He definitely has more than 20 goal 40 point potential, that might be what he ends up but thats not an at best scenario

Reactions: Sleestack and kliq

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I see a lot of big guys compared to Bjugstad now. Not saying I disagree because its definitely a similar play style between the two BUT I dont think a lot of these comparisons realise how much Bjugstad has stgnated. His second year he scored 24 goals and 43 points and was looking like he was on pace to be a 60 point 2 way centerman. He just hsnt gotten to that level again. I dont think its fair to say that Bjugstad is Rasmussens ceiling at all. He definitely has more than 20 goal 40 point potential, that might be what he ends up but thats not an at best scenario

That's fine.
I was just letting you know what a fairly respected publication reported.

Grant McCagg, or whatever his name was - the guy who used to write for McKeen's, compared him to Keith Primeau.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Personally I was hoping for Elias Pettersson, who probably would have riled everyone as a safe pick at the time (currently tearing up the Swedish league) but I am more than happy with Razzle

Reactions: WesNichols14

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
It amazes me how many people can compare a hockey player when he's 18 compared to one that is 7 years older. Let the kid grow up and mature as a player and person before you start making such comparisons or at least compare the same player at like ages. The speculation as to how good a player at that age will become in 7 years is so irrelevant and is only speculation at best.

Reactions: BinCookin

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen looked better than any of our prospects at pre-season just with an eye-test. I can't wait seeing him in NHL.

I wouldn't care much about comparisons, those are just for fun and are usually style-based, not potential based.

Potentials get f***ed up during development years so ofter with too many guys if you check some of the lists afterwards, that I couldn't care less about their potential analyzes. Styles, yes, it tells something about the player.

I wouldn't compare him to Bjugstad though. Those few Rasmussen's games reminded me more of Jonathan Toews in a stylistical way and the role he could be forced in the future if he reaches his potential. Toews is all smarts, and Rasmussen looked the same.

Hopefully injuries won't kill everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It sure feels like analysts put as much effort into comparables for tall forwards in the NHL as they do white receivers in the NFL

"____ tall forward is a Nick Bjugstad type"
"Jordy Nelson is a real Wes Welker type"

Especially with all the discussion right now comparing players in all the different threads, I really wish we could get rid of "comparables" all together and just try to judge people as individuals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad