Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Just looking at team situation, Kingston has 3 guys in the top 10 of OHL scoring. Tri-City 1 guy just barely in the top 30 of WHL scoring. Could be a factor in point production. No doubt in terms of numbers Vilardi is killing it and Ras is simply doing well.

Rasmussen is at 1.38 points per game. Thought he was higher.
23rd in points per game in the WHL.

Not bad, but not great for a top 10 NHL pick.

Vilardi ranks #1 in the OHL at 2.13. And that's probably even better, because the OHL is a harder league to score in this year.
However - sample size.
A 3-4 game slump like Rasmussen has had and Vilardi's rates come tumbling down.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Glad Vilardi is doing well since he was drafted by one of my favorite teams and still can't wait to watch Rasmussen play in the NHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Those guys seem to do quite well for the Kings.

I think Vilardi is going to be a good player. He does need to get better at skating.

I think my problem with comparing him is there is a reason we passed on Tippett as well. Dude is a winger at the NHL level without monumental leaps forward in skating. I have no problem comparing him to Corey Perry for instance and that is a heck of a hockey player.

The sour grapes should be about Necas a right-handed center playmaker. However, I am pretty happy with Rasmussen. He is a weapon and has a very high ceiling in my opinion. Yes he might do a ton of damage on the PP, I don't care as long as he does tons of damage.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Vilardi is going to be a good player. He does need to get better at skating.

I think my problem with comparing him is there is a reason we passed on Tippett as well. Dude is a winger at the NHL level without monumental leaps forward in skating. I have no problem comparing him to Corey Perry for instance and that is a heck of a hockey player.

The sour grapes should be about Necas a right-handed center playmaker. However, I am pretty happy with Rasmussen. He is a weapon and has a very high ceiling in my opinion. Yes he might do a ton of damage on the PP, I don't care as long as he does tons of damage.
I see Michael Rasmussen as our Anders Lee we saw how he was blocking Mrazeks view for some of the night. Rasmussen down the road should benefit our PP quite a bit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I see Michael Rasmussen as our Anders Lee we saw how he was blocking Mrazeks view for some of the night. Rasmussen down the road should benefit our PP quite a bit.

He also might free Mantha from that role which would be interesting and probably good for Mantha.

Rasmussen and Bertuzzi should be the PP net front guys before too long.

I would like to see a down low PP with Mantha and Rasmussen on it, they could interchange the net front and create a difficult movement. Renney ran something like that in Edmonton and I am surprised more teams haven't tried the two down low below the goal-line PP. I really like it, Washington runs it at times for a different look.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He also might free Mantha from that role which would be interesting and probably good for Mantha.

I would like to see a down low PP with Mantha and Rasmussen on it, they could interchange the net front and create a difficult movement. Renney ran something like that in Edmonton and I am surprised more teams haven't tried the two down low below the goal-line PP. I really like it, Washington runs it at times for a different look.

It's a nice look. Just have to have the horses that can pull it off.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's a nice look. Just have to have the horses that can pull it off.

It helps if your horses are big and strong on the puck. Anaheim does it at times when their PP stagnates as well. It is just another look.

That has been a big problem for the Wings for a while now even back to Babcock minus the one hot year where we were second we have struggled with the man advantage. It is because we are pretty one dimensional in my opinion. We want to do the same thing. Having the ability to give different looks really taxes a PK unit. I am hopeful with some of the weapons we are adding we will be able to do that.

I really believe at worst Rasmussen is an upgraded Martin Hanzal because he should have more offense than him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

We did the same thing with Franzen and it never made any sense to me. Big guys with really good hands and a killer shot and we made them glorified Holmstroms. Seems like a misuse of their skills. Would love to see Mantha down low and taking more shots from the dots on in.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We did the same thing with Franzen and it never made any sense to me. Big guys with really good hands and a killer shot and we made them glorified Holmstroms. Seems like a misuse of their skills. Would love to see Mantha down low and taking more shots from the dots on in.

Franzen had the freedom to move around some, that is why we were more dangerous. We should look for the pop play from farther down the wall with Mantha. Oshie does this a lot with Washington for instance, but you have to get the puck deeper. We don't get the puck far enough down to actually allow Mantha to turn and face goal and it is a problem. Really good PP's create multiple looks and options, ours is clear what option is next and what they are doing, this is clear back to the end of Babcock.

We have some guys that shouldn't have a problem playing down there, but more importantly can interchange and create movement. This means the defense will switch and their box will be more stressed. I really hope this is coming soon. We will have to improve a little as a passing team though before it can really take off. But the ingredients are there shortly for us to really play a physical down low PP. I hope we take advantage as those are very hard to stop in my opinion.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No points and -4 last 3 games.

Maybe this is why he’s ranked close to bottom on top 50 current prospect list.

Funny how no one talks about management passing on Chychrun and Liljegren anymore. I guess the board has moved onto Vilardi now?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
It was and continues to be anger about not picking Vilardi or Necas - I don’t know what you’re going on about...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No, passing on Chychrun was a mistake, but this is a Rasmussen thread.
Meh, I'm not seeing the mistake yet. Looks like we got 2 good players out of it.

As for Rasmussen, he's finally had a 3 game pointless streak this season, time to complain. I think most of us wanted someone else at that pick, all we can hope for is for him to turn into a solid player at the NHL level and not be worried about spilled milk. Hopefully we have a new direction in management soon and we can put the past decisions behind us.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Meh, I'm not seeing the mistake yet. Looks like we got 2 good players out of it.

As for Rasmussen, he's finally had a 3 game pointless streak this season, time to complain. I think most of us wanted someone else at that pick, all we can hope for is for him to turn into a solid player at the NHL level and not be worried about spilled milk.

Rumor has it since Chychrun has 8 points in the NHL already while our kids are developing in the minors automatically means both players we drafted were HUGE "mistakes".

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No, passing on Chychrun was a mistake, but this is a Rasmussen thread.

You mean the player who was pushed down the draft board due to injury concerns who since joining the NHL 2 years ago has had more injury issues. Maybe he stays healthy and hits his ceiling, but I would much better have Hronek and Cholowski.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You mean the player who was pushed down the draft board due to injury concerns who since joining the NHL 2 years ago has had more injury issues. Maybe he stays healthy and hits his ceiling, but I would much better have Hronek and Cholowski.

You may, but right now he's already a player that would be in the top 3 on the Wings. The Wings will be very lucky if either Hronek or Cholo hit that as their ceiling.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Why is always the same people on the side of management?

I'm pretty agnostic on the trade that Holland made with the Datsyuk deal.
Thought it was a good deal, but i thought Cholo was not a good pick and Hronek was.

I'm also not sold that Chychrun is a god of sort, either -- even if he has, by far, the best tool box of Hronek, Cholo and himself.

But whatever. It's so weird that the same people who defend the company line on every damn issue are once again doing it here.
Or maybe it's not.

Maybe this just who humans organize themselves - into two camps.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Thought it was a good deal, but i thought Cholo was not a good pick and Hronek was.

I'm also not sold that Chychrun is a god of sort, either -- even if he has, by far, the best tool box of Hronek, Cholo and himself.

But whatever. It's so weird that the same people who defend the company line on every damn issue are once again doing it here.
Or maybe it's not.

Reasonable and patient people usually take the logical stance as opposed to being prone to kneejerk reactions. Going crazy over draft choices is not very reasonable since it takes many years to know what’s what. ”Defend the company line” is your view of someone saying ”let’s see how it goes” instead of yelling at clouds because we didn’t draft the guy who had a nicer highlight reel or was rated higher pre-draft.

Chychrun and Vilardi/Necas could turn into elite all-stars that rack up individual trophies while Ras+Cholo+Hronek turn into bottom 4/6 players. But we have no idea at this point. I wouldn’t trade Cholo+Hronek straight up for Chychrun right now though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I try to balance absurd discussions that Rasmussen is a bad prospect a year after his draft by presenting opposing viewpoints. I try to get people to think for a second and point to past examples where these arguments ended up being wrong. For a message board dedicated to talking prospects, there sure are plenty of people on this particular board who have no patience with players or who are convinced another player they've never seen play will be a better pro based on HockeyDB profiles.

We go through the same arguments every draft season:
"Why would Holland waste a top 15 pick on 'Helm with hands?'"
"Bertuzzi in the second round is probably the worst pick this organization has ever made."
"Chychrun is a future #1 defenseman, of course Holland trades back and picks up players no one ever heard of."

This is just stuff in the last few years. Everyone was ready to throw Mantha to the wolves after his first AHL season, too. It's honestly exhausting trying to combat the negatively all the time. I wish more people here would try to educate themselves and not be so hasty to poo poo prospects.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Or maybe it's not.

I'm not on a side, really. When I believe Holland makes a good move I will give him credit for it. When I believe Holland does something stupid, I will call him out on it. There are plenty of things that Holland has done that frustrate me. Just to name a few, the Nielsen singing, the Abby ext, the Helm ext, the way he treated Cujo.............I could keep going.

My issue with a lot of posters is that they will rip into Holland for every single move he does because they are biased. Perfect example is the Smith trade last year, certain posters were ripping him saying he should have gotten a 1st (I'm not implying you), had Stevie been our GM, nobody says a word. Unfortunately with any move Holland does, the conversation shifts from a unbiased discussion of the move at hand, and turns into "if you dont hate it, you must be a Holland apologist". Its almost as if liking a move he does is now has a stigma attached to it which is unfortunate.

When I feel people are being over the top, I will comment on it. If people were over the top pro Holland, I would call people out on that as well. Now a days though, this is not a common thing. Also, if you actually really pay attention to what I write, I'm usually not defending Holland, I'm just not getting sucked into the hyperbole of everything. Saying "move x is a good move" and "move x is not a move that crippled us" are not the same thing. The Jarnkrok moves a perfect example, I never once said it was a good move that I liked, what I said was that I understood why he did it, I said IF Illitch wanted it, I can't fault Illitch since he was close to death and in his mind getting into the playoffs now was a priority, and that in the end it didnt really make a difference. Not of these things are defending the move, I admit the move was a bad one. But anyways, lets please not go into this again, I really dont want to talk about him anymore.

Back to the topic, I personally liked the Chychrun trade because going into the draft I was very leary of him due to his past injuries. Since he joined the NHL, that issue has just seemed to get worse. From what I have read about Hronek and Cholo, it seems that are progressing very well, and as a result I am happy with the move. At the time I didnt like the Cholo pick either, but he has impressed me since. Now, one thing I didnt like about the trade is that it was the precursor to the Nielsen signing, but at the end of the day that was a separate move, I try to evaluate the trade for the trades itself and not the ripple effect.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Reasonable and patient people usually take the logical stance as opposed to being prone to kneejerk reactions. Going crazy over draft choices is not very reasonable since it takes many years to know what’s what.
With top draft picks you can know within a couple years. How long did it take for us to realize with Larkin? Mantha? We knew by year 2 about what we had.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I try to balance absurd discussions that Rasmussen is a bad prospect a year after his draft by presenting opposing viewpoints. I try to get people to think for a second and point to past examples where these arguments ended up being wrong. For a message board dedicated to talking prospects, there sure are plenty of people on this particular board who have no patience with players or who are convinced another player they've never seen play will be a better pro based on HockeyDB profiles.

We go through the same arguments every draft season:
"Why would Holland waste a top 15 pick on 'Helm with hands?'"
"Bertuzzi in the second round is probably the worst pick this organization has ever made."
"Chychrun is a future #1 defenseman, of course Holland trades back and picks up players no one ever heard of."

This is just stuff in the last few years. Everyone was ready to throw Mantha to the wolves after his first AHL season, too. It's honestly exhausting trying to combat the negatively all the time. I wish more people here would try to educate themselves and not be so hasty to poo poo prospects.

A bottom 5 team with no highly ranked prospects... yeah, people have probably lost some faith in the drafting... what do you expect?

I do agree people need to educate themselves more, but that works both ways. Some people will support any player Detroit drafts, just as long as they are DRW property, while knowing that same basic bare minimum info.

Reactions: TheMule93

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
A bottom 5 team with no highly ranked prospects... yeah, people have probably lost some faith in the drafting... what do you expect?

I do agree people need to educate themselves more, but that works both ways. Some people will support any player Detroit drafts, just as long as they are DRW property, while knowing that same basic bare minimum info.

The draft is a hard one, to truly evaluate a draft you almost have to do it 3 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad